This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Butterfinger/lindt

Jess

Jess Apprentice

Hi everyone! I'm a German student residing in North Carolina and I'm not too familiar with the local products. As far as I know declaration laws for ingredients are a bit different here but wheat has to be declared on the package (in the EU all ingredients that contain gluten have to be stated on the package). Now I read that Butterfinger is gluten-free but on the package it says that it contains cornflakes.

My question is: Did Nestle change the ingredients or are those cornflakes gluten-free?

Another question I have concerns Lindt chocolate. I know that the Lindt chocolate you get in Germany contains barley malt extract but Lindt says that it's gluten free - or at least their supplier told them so - and I heard that malt extract is usually gluten free anyway because of the way it is made.

I'm not an expert on this so I just wanted to make sure that the Lindt chocolate they sell here in the U.S. really contains gluten. (I'm pretty careful about my diet but since my gluten sensitivity is not as strong as with some people the possibility of cross contamination would not necessarily keep me from eating it.)

Thanks in adavance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

francelajoie Explorer

I know that Lindt chocolate is gluten free. Their truffles are not because they contain barley malt.

As for the butterfinger, I'm not 100% sure.

jerseyangel Proficient

Butterfingers are gluten-free. They don't use regular corn flakes, they use confectioners corn flakes--just corn.

cgilsing Enthusiast

I second that butterfingers are gluten-free.....and it sounds really good right now! I might have to get one of those! :P

penguin Community Regular

Here in the US, all of the Lindt packages I've read have barley malt in them, or they have the disclaimer that the chocolate may contain traces of wheat. I would have bought it otherwise, I like Lindt!

A lot of the cadbury chocolate is gluten-free.

Jess Apprentice

Thank you guys for your help! :)

Rusla Enthusiast

All Lindt in Canada has Barley Malt in them too. That is the chocolate bunnies also. I know I have read them all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sis Rookie

Oh I had bo idea that Butterfingers were even something I could endulge in again! You have made my day! Please, if there are any other "real" foods that I can consume, let me know, I'm starving!

Sis

penguin Community Regular
Oh I had bo idea that Butterfingers were even something I could endulge in again! You have made my day! Please, if there are any other "real" foods that I can consume, let me know, I'm starving!

Sis

3 musketeers, peeps, and milky way midnight are all gluten-free (regular milky way is not)

Hershey will always label gluten-containing ingredients

Kisses are gluten-free, and so are reeses peanut butter cups

It's very easy to get enough junk food on this diet ;)

jerseyangel Proficient

Butterfinger is a Nestle product and they will clearly list any gluten ingredients, as well as any CC concerns. All you have to do is read the labels. Dove light and dark chocolate are also gluten-free.

schuyler Apprentice
3 musketeers, peeps, and milky way midnight are all gluten-free (regular milky way is not)

Hershey will always label gluten-containing ingredients

Kisses are gluten-free, and so are reeses peanut butter cups

It's very easy to get enough junk food on this diet ;)

Thanks for the info! I'm so excited now!!!! Finally real food

Ursa Major Collaborator

Lindt dark chocolate (I like 70% cocoa) doesn't have gluten. Most Lindt chocolates have soy in them, and the 70% says it may contain traces of peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, milk ingredients and soya lecithin (just CC, apparently). Maybe I need to call them to confirm that there is no barley in the chocolate. But since they list all ingredients, I don't think so. The ingredients list is: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, flavour. Now that I read that, the flavour sort of concerns me. I guess I better check it out!

I have emailed them to find out what the 'flavour' is. I sure hope it isn't anything I shouldn't have! I don't know if I can bear giving up my last indulgence. I've had to give up everything else!

francelajoie Explorer
Lindt dark chocolate (I like 70% cocoa) doesn't have gluten. Most Lindt chocolates have soy in them, and the 70% says it may contain traces of peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, milk ingredients and soya lecithin (just CC, apparently). Maybe I need to call them to confirm that there is no barley in the chocolate. But since they list all ingredients, I don't think so. The ingredients list is: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, flavour. Now that I read that, the flavour sort of concerns me. I guess I better check it out!

I have emailed them to find out what the 'flavour' is. I sure hope it isn't anything I shouldn't have! I don't know if I can bear giving up my last indulgence. I've had to give up everything else!

I guess I should have checked all packages before I opened my mouth :unsure:

I too eat the 70% dark chocolate and it does not contain barley malt.

With ya there Ursula...can't live without my piece of dark chocolate every day!!

Rusla Enthusiast
I guess I should have checked all packages before I opened my mouth :unsure:

I too eat the 70% dark chocolate and it does not contain barley malt.

With ya there Ursula...can't live without my piece of dark chocolate every day!!

I have not seen the dark chocolate or I would have ate them first.

jerseyangel Proficient

Ursula--Of course I would call to check for sure, but I know their truffles contain gluten--it is clearly listed in the ingredients (my husband loves them). I would think they would list the same way for the chocolate--but who knows? :blink:

francelajoie Explorer

The barley malt is in the genache.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I had a reply from Lindt (I contacted them in Germany, after all they make it there, so I won't post their exact reply, it is in German).

They say if it says 'barley malt extract', that it has less than 20ppm of gluten, and is therefore considered gluten free in Europe, and is in line with the codex alimentarius.

The flavour is pure vanilla. Which is very high in salicylates, and so I should limit my intake. I guess that is why, when I 'pig out' on chocolate at times (when really stressed), it makes me feel bad.

So, anybody who isn't ultra sensitive to gluten can eat all the ones that say barley malt extract after all.

He said they list EVERYTHING that's in the chocolate. If it isn't on the label, it isn't an ingredient. Period.

• 1 year later...
Jess Apprentice

I contacted Lindt Germany again, since I noticed that in Germany it always says "barley malt extract" (gluten-free) while here it says "barley malt" although the chocolate is made in Germany. They told me that the "barley malt" on the US chocolate is the equivalent to the German "barley malt extract"... Really confusing. I wonder if it's a translation mistake. Anyway, the most important thing is that I am able to have most Lindt chocolate now after all.

Nancym Enthusiast

I can't resist the urge to comment... why is it that the unwholesome food issuing from an industrial food factory, like a butterfinger, is considered real? I think it is barely able to fit the definition of food, much less real food. :P

Sorry, when you've read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" it makes you question things like this.

Jess Apprentice

The only reason why I care is because I love chocolate and I haven't found any other decent chocolate here yet. I also think that Lindt is still pretty high quality in comparison to most chocolate (especially here. Hershey's is extremely cheap.). I don't know if Lindt is to be trusted, but in the end I'm not sure whether there is any food company that you can trust. I just want chocolate and I don't care how "unwholesome" it is. It tastes good and it's way better thank food like fries or burgers. I already pay a lot of attention to what I eat and the nutritional value of the food and I think a little treat every once in a while doesn't hurt...

Nancym Enthusiast

I meant the butterfinger. :P Lindt is "real food" in my book. :D

I find "real food" rarely comes from a vending machine.

Jess Apprentice

I agree. I like Butterfinger, but I don't have it too often. I was just curious. Isn't it also genetically modified? At least that's what I read when I heard about it the first time.

• 1 year later...
Pettez Newbie

In my *newbie zeal*, I'm looking up everything I can. This is the latest I found from Lindt in regards to their chocolates:

Archived