This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

In Need Of A Pie Crust Recipe

WardGirl

WardGirl Rookie

With the Canadian Thanksgiving just around the corner, I want to make pumpkin pie this year. I've looked in several recipe books and the recipes are either for 3-4 crusts or are too time consuming for me. Does anyone have an easy recipe for pie crusts that isn't too time consuming.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Wardgirl--nice to see you :D

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust Mix--it's easy and delicious. I made a pecan pie with it for a family function last spring, and everyone loved it--we had a desert buffet and it was the first desert to be finished!

One box makes two crusts, but the dough easily freezes.

Here's a single crust recipe that I found here on this site a couple years ago. It's hands down the easiest, but not as flaky as the GFP mix. I would describe it as more crumbly--

1 1/2 cups rice flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup oil

2 tbsp. milk

1 1/2 tbsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Press into pie plate with fingers as thinly as possible. Fill and bake as your recipe requires.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is my no-fail, super easy (no roll!!!) crust:

1/2 stick butter

1c Pamela's pancake/baking mix**

2-4 tbs sugar (I like brown)

Melt butter in pie plate in microwave

Mix in with a fork the baking mix and sugar

Press into pie plate

Refrigerate for about 20-30 min (while you prep your filling works well)

Fill and bake as usual

The more sugar you add, the more it tastes almost like a shortbread-it's amazing!

For a 2 crust pie, double recipe, press 1/2 into pie plate, press the other 1/2 into a circle a little bigger than the mouth of the pie plate onto wax paper or parchment, slide onto cookie sheet or pizza pan, only refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until firm but still pliable. Make decorative cutouts if desired before turning over onto filled pie, crimp edges and bake as usual. You could use a rolling pin, but I try to avoid that at all costs :lol:

**note-you can use any other flour mix you have on hand, just increase the butter for a 1 crust recipe to 1 stick.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My favorite is the pie crust recipe in Annalise Robert's book, gluten-free Baking Classics.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Try Open Original Shared Link. I've probaly made it 50 times. it always works, ind it's always delicious.

elonwy Enthusiast

For pumpkin pie I take Pamela's shortbread (plain or pecan, if pecan take the big nut pieces out) and crumble them up with butter and press them into a pie pan. I have learned I have to make two, because everyone wants my pie and ignores the regular pumpkin pie.

• 2 weeks later...
WardGirl Rookie

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions on pie crusts. We used the one from celiac-mommy and it was delicious. Even my parents raved about it :) So next time around we'll try the one from Patti :) as we actually found the Gluten Free Pie Mix. It looks it might have a calling for an apple pie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DMarie Apprentice

So many pie crust recipes, so little time! I am currently trying to avoid eggs, and I have Pamela's mix here - so I am thinking I will have to try Celiac Mommy's recipe. :P BUT - my only question is - if I am making a savory filling (like Chicken Pot Pie)...will it work okay to leave the sugar out? I am thinking yes - but sometimes you never know with removing the smallest ingredient.

Thanks,

Dawn

So many pie crust recipes, so little time! I am currently trying to avoid eggs, and I have Pamela's mix here - so I am thinking I will have to try Celiac Mommy's recipe. :P BUT - my only question is - if I am making a savory filling (like Chicken Pot Pie)...will it work okay to leave the sugar out? I am thinking yes - but sometimes you never know with removing the smallest ingredient.

Thanks,

Dawn

Yes! Done it, love it :D

• 3 weeks later...
JHough Newbie
Yes! Done it, love it :D

How long do you bake it to make chicken pot pie? My husband has been craving chicken pot pie but I don't know how to make it. How do you make it?

How long do you bake it to make chicken pot pie? My husband has been craving chicken pot pie but I don't know how to make it. How do you make it?

I made individual beef and bean pot pies last night for dinner (w/jack-o-lantern faces cut out :) ) and I like to do only a top crust to save some calories. The filling is already cooked, so basically you're just heating through and browning the crust, so it ends up baking at 350-375 for 25-30 minutes. If I do bottom crusts too, I bake a little longer and I bake in a glass pie plate so I can see the bottom of the pie to make sure it's done. I would probably increase the time to 45 minutes, checking to make sure the top isn't getting too brown at 25 min. If it is, cover the top with foil. You could also look in a regular cook book to see what the normal baking time would be for a pot pie.

Hope this helps!

loco-ladi Contributor

I made a pumpkin pie the other day, and since I needed to vent and baking bread was out of the question I took some ginger cookies that lacked a bit on my taste scale and crushed em up and made a cracker crust out of them.....

Let me tell ya what, I gonna have to buy more of those bad tasting cookies now to make more pies with! It was awesome!

lpellegr Collaborator

If you want to make a traditional crust, rolling pin and all, Bette Hagman's Vinegar crust recipe is not only good enough to fool wheat flour people, I recently pulled a frozen ball of it out of my freezer (from 11/07!) and once it was thawed it worked out perfectly! I was impressed.

HiDee Rookie
Try Open Original Shared Link. I've probaly made it 50 times. it always works, ind it's always delicious.

I made this crust last year and liked it. Have you frozen this and does that work well? If so, how long does it take to thaw? I want to make some things ahead of time so my Thanksgiving isn't so crazy. Would it thaw in the fridge overnight? Thanks.

cruelshoes Enthusiast
I made this crust last year and liked it. Have you frozen this and does that work well? If so, how long does it take to thaw? I want to make some things ahead of time so my Thanksgiving isn't so crazy. Would it thaw in the fridge overnight? Thanks.

I have frozen it a bunch of times. I usually make a 2x or 3x batch, divide it into balls, wrap each ball in plastic wrap and put all the balls in the freezer in a gallon sized ziplock. Thawing the frozen balls in the refrigerator overnight works great for me. Freezing/thawing doesn't seem to change the taste or texture.

Happy baking!

Wonka Apprentice
With the Canadian Thanksgiving just around the corner, I want to make pumpkin pie this year. I've looked in several recipe books and the recipes are either for 3-4 crusts or are too time consuming for me. Does anyone have an easy recipe for pie crusts that isn't too time consuming.

I buy gluten free ginger cookies, crush them mix with butter (not sure what I'll use not that I'm dairy free too) and press into the pan. The last time I did this my family said that they liked it better than regular crust.

purple Community Regular
I buy gluten free ginger cookies, crush them mix with butter (not sure what I'll use not that I'm dairy free too) and press into the pan. The last time I did this my family said that they liked it better than regular crust.

I plan to make pie crusts with homemade cookie crumbs from Carol Fenster's "Cooking Free" book. The ginger snap and vanilla wafer ones are great. I used Spectrum shortening instead of soy margarine this time (I premade them already). Then I am going to try the shortening for the crust with the crumbs.

I saw a df, egg free pumpkin pie to try.

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

That looks very good! I try to limit eggs--too many and my system rebels :P

Hey Purple--are you still doing brownie in a cup? I actually got my non-gluten-free husband hooked and now he asks me to make it probably once or twice a week. :lol:

purple Community Regular
That looks very good! I try to limit eggs--too many and my system rebels :P

Hey Purple--are you still doing brownie in a cup? I actually got my non-gluten-free husband hooked and now he asks me to make it probably once or twice a week. :lol:

No...my dh got me started on a 1 second thingy that I am trying to quit. Chocolate chips, right out of the bag. :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
No...my dh got me started on a 1 second thingy that I am trying to quit. Chocolate chips, right out of the bag. :blink:

:lol::lol:

purple Community Regular
I plan to make pie crusts with homemade cookie crumbs from Carol Fenster's "Cooking Free" book. The ginger snap and vanilla wafer ones are great. I used Spectrum shortening instead of soy margarine this time (I premade them already). Then I am going to try the shortening for the crust with the crumbs.

I saw a df, egg free pumpkin pie to try.

I made this pie today. It was delish! I covered the cookie crumb crust with a foil liner 1/2 way thru but next time I will try to cover it the whole time. The top of the pie was kinda dark. Next time I might try some chopped nuts on top. I baked it in a toaster oven. I used vanilla soy milk but I read somewhere you can use a nut milk, something with fat in it. Overall it is a great egg free/dairy free/gluten-free pie.

I used the gingersnap cookie crumb crust:

1 3/4 cups cookie crumbs

1 T. melted shortening

Mix well with a fork or fingers and press into a 9" pie plate then fill and bake with the above pumpkin pie recipe.

stolly Collaborator

I made celiac-mommy's (Rachelle's) recipe using Pamela's and then used her caramel pecan pie recipe from the karo syrup website--the pie was a huge hit with all of the gluten eaters at my DS's party! Thanks, Rachelle!

Archived