This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Branson, Mo

pajamama2

pajamama2 Apprentice

We are going to Branson in August and was wondering if any of you had any gluten-free suggestions. We are staying at the Stillwaters Lakefront Resort and I know we are going to Silver Dollar City. I am also hoping to go on the Showboat Branson Belle.

Thanks for you help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaron&sam Rookie
We are going to Branson in August and was wondering if any of you had any gluten-free suggestions. We are staying at the Stillwaters Lakefront Resort and I know we are going to Silver Dollar City. I am also hoping to go on the Showboat Branson Belle.

Thanks for you help.

You will have some options at Silver Dollar City- I investigated that last year and do not remember specifics, but I do think that you can look on their website for some information on the food they provide!

bbuster Explorer

This is an e-mail written to me by a lady who runs a Celiac support group in the Branson area. It was written 9/18/07. Long post but good first-hand information.

Our family went to Branson Landing last September and ended up eating at Famous Dave's (BBQ). I called ahead and the manager was very knowledgeable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the recommendations that I would have for Branson.

We regularly eat at Panera which is a soup and salad and sandwich shop. I have a gluten-free list from there which includes some soups and salads -- no sandwiches.

We like to eat at Landrys which is a seafood restaurant primarily and the chef is very willing to accomodate. My husband usually has the lemon pepper catfish (grilled), baked potato and sauteed veggies. He also has the green salad with house balsamic vinegrette for dressing. They have an appetizer that is gluten-free -- fresh tomatoes with mozzarella on top and drizzled with balsamic vinegrette. They serve Creme Brulee for dessert, so make sure to save room.

We also eat at the Plaza View on the ninth floor of the Plaza Hotel. They have a few choices -- their prime rib is gluten-free as are their steaks and of course, baked potato and salad. They serve dessert with their entree and they always bring my husband vanilla ice cream when the rest of us are enjoying the cheesecake or whatever they are serving for the evening. (This is our favorite place in Branson to eat. They have live entertainment in the evenings -- Kenny Parrott sings from 5 - 7:30 pm. Kenny is the lead singer in the Buck Trent show. Kenny does not have a cover charge.)

We also have eaten at Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon -- I also have a gluten-free listing for them. We have McDonalds and Wendys.

There is a buffet on the strip called Peppercorns where we have successfully eaten breakfast --- scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, and fresh fruit. Several other celiacs that I know have also eaten there successfully. (It has recently changed its name to Peppercorns Ranch-house and we have not been there since the name change, so I cannot say if they changed the food as well.)

We have a gluten-free menu for Olive Garden which lists three things -- we have eaten there and had the pork filletino with seasoned broccoli and salad without croutons.

The Outback Steakhouse in Branson is NOT part of the chain and DOES NOT have a gluten-free menu. However, we have eaten there. You just have to ask them what they have that is not marinated and they can grill a piece of meat, baked potato and salad.

Montana Mikes is a new steakhouse on the strip (Route 76) right near the Titanic. There is also a second location on Rt 248 right across the street from KMart and the Country Mart grocery store. They are very willing to work with you. We have eaten there numerous times and it was delicious. I believe that the best choices would be the steaks, baked or mashed potatoes, green salad w/o croutons and either bring your own dressing or use vinegar and oil. Make sure to tell your server of your needs -- or you can always ask for the manager.

There is a new Chilis just off Rt 65 two exits before 76 Country Boulevard in Branson. It is right in front of the new Target and Home Depot. We have eaten there several times and they have a gluten-free menu online that you can print off -- they ask that you print it off each month as they update it every month. We love their chips and salsa, but the chips are not gluten-free because of cross contamination when they are fried, so we always take a bag of Tostitos with us when we go there.

We also have a Bob Evans (on the strip) and Joe's Crab Shack (at Branson Landings) which I have been told can accomodate a gluten-free meal, but we have not been to either one yet.

It is also my understanding that Candlestick Inn can accomodate a gluten-free diet but we have not been there either.

We usually purchase packets of salad dressings from McDonalds and carry them with us when we go to a restaurant.

For ice cream type snacks, we have Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins, and Cold Stone Creamery and I am sure that I have gluten-free listings for them. We went to Coldstone Creamery the other day and they used the clean stone and then mixed my husband's ice cream treat on one of those cake circles that you find under a bakery made cake. They laid it on the clean cold stone and used a clean scoop to scoop the ice cream and just mixed it like that.

There is a new Marble Slab Creamery at Branson Landings that has sent some gluten-free info to me. We have not been there yet, though. There is also a Haagen Daz there at the Landings and the gluten-free list of Haagen Daz ice cream would apply.

gluten-free FOOD SOURCES:

Nature's Sunshine on Route 76. It is in a little strip mall almost right across the street from the Alaska Down South store, toward the east end of Route 76. Nice assortment of gluten-free foods including Kinnikinnick, Namaste, Sylvan Border Farms..

Country Mart grocery store, on Route 248, which is the exit off Route 65 and north of Route 76. They have a large health food section and carry many gluten-free products like cereals, Tinkyada pasta, Gluten Free Pantry mixes, Bob's Red Mill flours and mixes, some Kinnikinnick and some of Amy's frozen dinners, and Van's waffles. They also have Boar's Head deli meats and cheeses, but remember to ask them to clean the slicer before cutting your selections. They have also moved a lot of their health food stuff and mixed it in with the regular selections in the store -- like you will find the Lundberg rice in with the regular rice.

Hiland Dairy products are commonly found in the Branson grocery stores and all of their dairy products are gluten-free except for the obvious ones like ice cream with cookie dough, etc.

There is a Super Walmart in Branson West and they have a lot of foods that are now being marked gluten free -- all Great Value or Walmart's own brand.

bbuster Explorer

Hi,

Since the first post was so long here's another specific to Silver Dollar City. I don't have info on Branson Belle. I just got this response this week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am responding to your recent inquiry regarding gluten-free foods here at Silver Dollar City. We look forward to having you visit us and hopefully we can accommodate your needs.

While many of the food items on the park are not within the guides of a gluten-free diet, these are a few suggestions I can make. The Mill Restaurant (located on the Square) is a full buffet including salad bar and some of the items should meet your needs. The Wagon Works Grill (also on the Square) serves items from its grill that are perfect for a gluten-free diet including Whole Turkey Legs, Beef Kabobs and Chicken Kabobs. The Mine Restaurant (located below the Mill) is another full buffet that has a few select dishes that would be acceptable. I would like to let you know that the hamburgers we serve do have a flavor enhancer mixed in the ground chuck and therefore would not be within the guidelines. We are in the process of changing our hamburgers to one with a mustard base and it will be gluten free. As with all items, please feel free to ask to see the label listing all ingredients. We receive substituted product on occasion; therefore, we highly recommend that you ask on each visit to the Park.

As you enjoy your day at Silver Dollar City and are deciding on where to eat, please feel free to ask about your diet needs at any of our restaurants. In some cases the posted menus may not include something for you but the restaurant maybe able to serve a special dish for you. As always, if you wish to bring food to meet special dietary needs, we will hold it for you.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Silver Dollar City and in the meantime if I can answer any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at shedrick@silverdollarcity.com and I'd be more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Sam Hedrick

Food Division

Archived