This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Skin Rash

divamomma

divamomma Enthusiast

For the last few months (prior to blood tests) my daughter has complained about an itchy back. She complained more often as the weeks progressed. Before I could not see any rash or bumps, now I do. It is mostly along the sides of her back. We have now been gluten-free for about 6 days. I see a HUGE improvement in many of her symtoms but not this. I would actually say it has gotten worse....more rashy/bumpy looking. Some bumps are looking sore. The picture here is not great. I had to take it with my cell phone.

Is this DH?

When will it get better?

What will make it feel better/take away the itch. If I put anything on it she says it stings. Thanks :)

sspx0202_picnik.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Try removing all iodine from your daughter's diet--with DH, many of us need to do that. It takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause DH is many cases (if not all), so eventually you can add the iodine back in. However, for me, I still break out in an odd rash that is chronic on my back from my thyroid medication, which contains iodine. Although this chronic rash is not at all like DH, it is intensely itchy. So...remove the iodine--she might just be sensitive to it.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

There is an ointment that I use for the itch and pain. It is Walgreens brand of Pain Relieving Ointment which contains only Benzocaine but helps a great deal.

Also, the literature says the rash will take 6 months to 2 years to heal on a strict gluten free diet. I have read that others improve more rapidly. I am on the fourth month and still have sores. It takes very little to activate the lesions. Any tiny CC or iodine (including fish) activate the sores for me.

Children seem to improve more rapidly and to heal faster than adults. But there is very little literature on DH in children other than to say that DH is extremely rare in children. My son's DH cleared up rapidly in about 2 months.

I hope this helps.

Also, the sunburn sprays may help her if it is on her back. I can't use them as my sores are on my face, so I use the ointment.

itchy Rookie

Hopefully it will clear up quickly if you have a very strict gluten free diet. Aside from the iodine suggestions (and you can't really eliminate iodine long term without affecting your health) nothing else is likely to make it better, in my experience at least.

I experience the stinging most intensely during the evening and early morning. Those are the times she may be most willing to accept some help to ease the annoyance. In my experience anything that softens the skin is helpful.

Also, the periods of intense stinging/itching seem to be associated with periods of healing, so I've come to see them as harbingers of better times ahead.

Finally, (and others may wish to comment on this) I haven't noticed that the lesions become infected. Perhaps the immune system is very active at this point and fights off microbes? Is there something to this, or have I just been lucky?

cassP Contributor

Try removing all iodine from your daughter's diet--with DH, many of us need to do that. It takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause DH is many cases (if not all), so eventually you can add the iodine back in. However, for me, I still break out in an odd rash that is chronic on my back from my thyroid medication, which contains iodine. Although this chronic rash is not at all like DH, it is intensely itchy. So...remove the iodine--she might just be sensitive to it.

my forearms have been having horrible allergic type reactions since ive been on Synthroid. but i dont have an iodine allergy- altho, i had DH on my stomach, and what i thought were DH bumps on my forearm. but this time- my forearms are not itchy at all.... but they're horribly bumpy & so RED it looks like ive got chemical burns..... and they burn too... is it possible to have DH and not have it itch??? so strange

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

My sores never seemed to itch. I have read they are intensely itchy for others but mine are more like seecond degree burns. The burning sensation is intense and maddening. So I don't think all DH has to itch.

Archived