This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Bagel Recipe?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a good gluten free bagel recipe. I'm a good baker, so I think I'm up for the challenge! The recipe I have in my go-to book has a LOT of potato starch in it, and I'd like to make something a little more nutritious. Also, I prefer baking from scratch rather than using mixes. Anyone have a recipe they can share?

Also, I found this one online. Has anyone tried it? Open Original Shared Link

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alwayssomething Contributor

I tried one with a Cup4Cup flour, it was very good and I am sure you could experiment with your own flour mixture.  I always experiment with 1/2 the recipe for my first try.

2 packets active quick rise dry yeast 

2 cups warm water

5 1/2 cups Cup4Cup all purpose gluten free flour

3 Tablespoons Sugar

2 Teaspoons Salt

2 quarts boiling water

2 Teaspoons Canola Oil

Combine yeast and warm water, disolve about 5 minutes

In a standing mixer using a dough hook, combine flour, sugar, salt, mix untell a well forms

Pour water/yeast mixture into the center and beat on medium speed, cover the dough to rest for 10 minutes

Divide dough into 12 equal pices, roll each piece into a cylinder and moisten the ends to fust them to form a ring.   Place them on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow dough to rise for 30-40 minutes (until they rise about 30%)

While dough is rising, bring two quarts of water to a boil and add oil.   Preheat over to 400 degrees

Pouch bagesl a few at a time in simminger water for 30-45 seconds.  Remove and place on greased baking sheet.  (sprinkle with garlic, salt etc if you wish)

Bake for 15-18 minutes

notme Experienced

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a good gluten free bagel recipe. I'm a good baker, so I think I'm up for the challenge! The recipe I have in my go-to book has a LOT of potato starch in it, and I'd like to make something a little more nutritious. Also, I prefer baking from scratch rather than using mixes. Anyone have a recipe they can share?

Thanks!

oh, me!  me!  and they were delicious!!  (and they froze well, too, i pre-cut them before i froze them)  i really have had very good (and tasty!) luck with every recipe i have tried on their site.  the easter bread (paska) is fablulous and i was wanting to try the dough/batter for fried donuts.  but i haven't had time to fool with it yet  :)  the paska is dead on, though.  my grandkids wolfed it down (i made my own icing and sprinkled it with rainbow non-pariels) 

Adalaide Mentor

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Everyone should make these bagels. I only needed prompting from one person saying they were awesome and I made some tonight. Well, they are in fact awesome. I've been eating Udi's bagels when I absolutely must have one because, well, they exist. I can't imagine any circumstance under which someone could induce me to touch an Udi's bagel again. Ugh...

At first bite you may even hear choirs of angels singing. Don't be alarmed as this is a normal reaction to amazing homemade gluten free baked goods. :)

OMG I just made these bagels and they are AMAZING!!!!! There aren't enough exclamation marks to express how delicious they are!!!! I have a very good gluten-free bakery near me, and these bagels are officially better. And they are so easy to make (no harder than bread from scratch)! I will now eat nothing but bagels.  :D

A note: I didn't have the rapid rise yeast, so I used my active dry yeast - instead of putting it in the dry ingredients, I heated the hot water to 110 degrees and poured that into a small bowl with the active dry yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Then I let that sit for ten minutes and added it to the wet ingredients. Worked perfectly! 

Thanks for the positive comments on that recipe! 

Adalaide Mentor

OMG I just made these bagels and they are AMAZING!!!!! There aren't enough exclamation marks to express how delicious they are!!!! I have a very good gluten-free bakery near me, and these bagels are officially better. And they are so easy to make (no harder than bread from scratch)! I will now eat nothing but bagels.  :D

A note: I didn't have the rapid rise yeast, so I used my active dry yeast - instead of putting it in the dry ingredients, I heated the hot water to 110 degrees and poured that into a small bowl with the active dry yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Then I let that sit for ten minutes and added it to the wet ingredients. Worked perfectly! 

Thanks for the positive comments on that recipe! 

OMG I KNOW RIGHT!!!! Do you think we could live off of bagels? People will only think we're crazy until they taste them. (I may actually be crazy, but that isn't the point.)

OMG I KNOW RIGHT!!!! Do you think we could live off of bagels? People will only think we're crazy until they taste them. (I may actually be crazy, but that isn't the point.)

I feel like we now have a special connection, knowing the magic of these bagels, lol.

And it's not like these are good bagels simply compared to the frozen/packaged gluten-free bagels - these are amazing compared to regular bagels! (I grew up with a strong appreciation for New York bagels and can still remember)

My boyfriend is my official taste tester (he's a gluten-eater but eats gluten free when he's with me, so he's tried a lot of gluten-free food). I'm going to have to make them again for him (this batch will not last long), and I'll post what he says  B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

My husband is still a freak gluten eater. He was more than happy to take half my bagel last night. I warned him though that I needed the remainder for breakfast for 3 days of work and that if he wants bagels he can go buy crappy ones at the store. It is kinda nice having someone who knows what the gluten world still tastes like so I know that I'm not just in some sort of imaginary gluten-free lala land I have no business being in. 

photo1_zpsdd19a9cd.webp

They taste good AND they're beautiful!! 

notme Experienced

NOM NOM NOM!!!  they look deelicious :)  it was wierd to shape them, but now i bake with a leap of faith (in wierd looking dough lolz)

kareng Grand Master

Yeah!  You figured out the picture!  Looks yum.

Archived