This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Is A Biopsy Done

marip

marip Rookie

How is a biopsy done?  Is it with a endoscopic ultrasound?  Are their any other ways of getting a biopsy?  What about with a cat scan needle biopsy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Read this

Open Original Shared Link

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Hi Marip and Welcome to the Forum!

The link kareng provided explains the procedure very well.  Just wanted to add that it is a relatively simple and quick procedure.  Some people experience some discomfort afterwards when they eat - its best to stick to mild, easily digested food for a few days following the procedure - and take it easy on fiberous food (that's what my GI doctor instructed me).  The little spots where they take the biopsies need to heal.  But it sounds worse than it is.

BelleVie Enthusiast

Hi marip,

The biopsy is a piece of cake. For mine, I could not eat the night before. I went to the doctor in the morning, they had me go into a little office and I got an IV. Then I went to the room where they did the biopsy. The doctor had me lay down, they gave me the anesthesia, and I woke up what felt like a moment later. I experienced absolutely no discomfort at all. I've heard that some people have a little discomfort when eating afterwards, but that wasn't the case for me. If you are worried about it, I hope this helps you to be a little less anxious!  :)

LauraTX Rising Star

Yep, it is really smooth going, no preparation other than doing it on an empty stomach.  They give you a sleepy drug, go down you throat and look, takes like 5 minutes and wake up right after.  I could feel a slight discomfort at the biopsy sites, kind of like a bad heartburn feeling, but just in small spots, and just for that day.  It is totally understandable to hear biopsy and think its super invasive, but luckily we have a handy hole to already go through :)

When I woke up, my doctor told my family member who was with me that our next stop should be my choice of breakfast place.  Ate that and slept the rest of the day since drugs always make me extra loopy.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Mary Em
    Newest Member
    Mary Em
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• jwoolman
      I love millet and rice (together or separately), and millet whole grain but as easy to cook as white rice (same directions). But I always think of those as grains. Rice is one grain that doesn't result in gas. I can eat it in any form with no problems. But I don't have celiac, just a pesky wheat intolerance. Not a gluten problem, something else in the wheat.   
    • jwoolman
      I like BFree products and also Happy Camper. Both have seeded brown bread and both are vegan-friendly (allergic to egg and dairy).
    • Peace lily
      My nutritionist gave this recipe. 1/2 c oats 1/2 c cottage cheeses with protein  2 eggs into the blender ,enjoy  peace lily😊
    • marip
      Lately I have been having grey pale stools I get intermittently.  Sometimes cramping pain with it.  Could this be celiac disease?
    • knitty kitty
      @Nogluten4thisgirl, It's been my experience these symptoms are related to vitamin deficiencies caused by poor absorption due to intestinal damage and inflammation caused by Celiac Disease.  They are inextricably linked. How long have you been taking B12 and Vitamin D supplements?  What changes have you seen in your levels? There's eight B vitamins.  They all work together.  B12 needs Folate B9, Pyridoxine B6, Riboflavin B2, and Thiamine B1, as well as copper.  Taking just B12 can mask a Folate deficiency.   I learned about vitamins by studying nutrition, but I learned about how vitamins function inside the body by studying microbiology.  I have had personal experience with malnutrition.  My doctors didn't recognize the nutritional deficiency symptoms.  Doctors, out of seven years of medical education, are only required twenty hours of nutritional education.  They don't recognize the vitamin deficiency symptoms when they are taught vitamin deficiencies don't occur outside of starvation in refugee camps or third world countries.   My doctors prescribed pharmaceuticals to cover the vitamin deficiency symptoms I had, but they did not investigate why the symptoms occurred in the first place.  The medications just made things worse.  So ill, I could feel myself dying, I started grasping at straws.  I started supplementing with vitamins and began feeling better.  I took Thiamine (Benfotiamine) and felt improvement within the hour.   The B vitamins are water soluble, easily lost in urine, as well as with diarrhea and constipation.  B vitamins cannot be stored long inside the body, so we need to consume them every day.  Thiamine can only be stored for two to three weeks, but can become depleted in as little as three days if there's a high metabolic demand, like an illness, emotional trauma or physical exercise.   Blood levels are not accurate measurements of how much of a vitamin is stored within cells, where the vitamins actually function.  Blood levels can reflect how much of a vitamin was consumed during the previous twenty-four to forty-eight hours and is waiting to be absorbed.  If there's not sufficient vitamins stored within cells, the cell cannot function properly and dies.  The brain will order cells to release stored vitamins into the bloodstream to sustain important organs like the brain and heart.   The brain uses as much Thiamine just thinking as muscles do running a marathon.  Thiamine deficiency symptoms affect brain function (brain fog, memory problems, ADHD, depression, emotional lability, anxiety, panic attacks, irritability), and heart function (heart palpitations, heart failure, edema of the lower legs).   The B vitamins are water soluble, safe and nontoxic.  If you don't need it, the body easily excretes it in urine.  The best way to see if you're low in B vitamins is to take them and look for health improvements.  With thiamine, improvement is seen quickly, within an hour, but the others may take a few weeks for improvement to be seen.   Do talk to your doctor before supplementing.  Do discuss thiamine deficiency symptoms and wet beriberi.  Because the B vitamins are safe even in high doses, there's no harm in trying supplementing with Benfotiamine, a B Complex supplement, and magnesium.