This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Want Beer!

CeliacMe

CeliacMe Rookie

As a former student at Florida State, I miss tailgating before football games or watching football with beer and snacks. SO... what the heck beers can I drink? Bards beer isn't sold in FL...I heard a rumor that Rolling Rock is gluten-free and made from rice,anyone know what I can drink? I feel like an alki drinking a screwdriver at 10am, lol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Bard's Tale is gluten-free, and not bad. They're out of production at the moment, but should be back to it by the end of the year.

killernj13 Enthusiast

Some of the hard ciders are gluten-free. You can search this message board for the exact ones. Its kind of like a beer.

Also, Ramapo Valley Brewery used to ship gluten-free beer made from honey. The website is Ramapovalleybrewery.com. You can contact them to see if they still ship. It was expensive when they did.

I doubt Rolling Rock is gluten-free. Never heard that one before and I've been dealing with C/D for 3 years.

astyanax Rookie

i think cider is much better than gluten-free beer and it's much cheaper since you can get it at a lot of liquor stores (instead of shipping). hornsby's is the only cider that ISN'T gluten-free (at least last time i checked) that i know of.

strongbow, cider jack, woodpecker, wood chuck, K are all gluten-free

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I know how you feel..... I almost cried when I had to go gluten-free and found out that Mott's Clamato Juice contained gluten. I LOVED my weekend Blood Caesars with a BBQ in the backyard......

(Bloody Caesar is a Canadian thing...... Vodka, clam juice, worshteshire sauce, tabasco sauce, celery salt) Best drink in the world, and I can't have it any longer!!!! (Sob, sob.... :( )

Oh well, now all I have is the odd glass of white wine - sorry, just doesn't cut it.... <_<

Karen

• 6 months later...
mamaathome Explorer

New Grist Beer is awesome! It is manufactured by land lakes. The webiste is www.newgrist.com. My husband just ordered this and received his shipment yesterday...he was very pleased with the taste, as was I. It's a bit pricey, but not any worse than a beer in a bar!

ehrin Explorer

Also, Ramapo Valley Brewery used to ship gluten-free beer made from honey. The website is Ramapovalleybrewery.com. You can contact them to see if they still ship. It was expensive when they did.

BEWARE If you're looking for a gluten-free beer that tastes like...beer - don't get the Ramapo Valley. It tastes more like a cider/honey wine. It is VERY sweet!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

killernj13 Enthusiast

I found putting a lemon in the Ramapo Valley beer makes it taste better. Try it like that before you dismiss it.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Go to this site

www.lakefrontbrewery.com

Talk to the guys about bringing "New Grist" where you live

Then

Talk to Whole Foods or Wild Oats about the product

Then

Talk to a distributor in the area about getting it.

Repeat this several times with numerous emails.

Eventually they will succomb and bring you the sweet sweet beer.

It took me 3 months to accomplish it in Vegas, but I wore them down eventually.

If you are determined, it can work!

mouse Enthusiast

I tasted New Grist (thank you silent member for giving me a bottle). And I find that it tastes like real beer. I have already called the manager of Henry's Market (Wild Oats) and he is going to call Lakefront. He asked many of his gluten free customers about beer and they all wanted some. So, I am sure it will take a little time, but we will get it in Mesa.

ovalexpress Newbie
:D I am so thankful I live in Wisconsin! I can purchase New Grist at our local Fesitval Foods for a bargain at $6.79/6 pack!
Guhlia Rising Star

I drink the Woodchuck granny smith cider. It has a pleasant taste and it looks just like a Heineken bottle. Chances are no one will know the difference. :)

francelajoie Explorer
:D I am so thankful I live in Wisconsin! I can purchase New Grist at our local Fesitval Foods for a bargain at $6.79/6 pack!

WOW!

I get Rampo Valley at $10.30/6 pack <_<

and La Messagere for $18/6 pack in Canada...in canadian money :o that's sick

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

How do you order New Grist on their site? I dont see a place to do that in. Unless I am just missing it

francelajoie Explorer
How do you order New Grist on their site? I dont see a place to do that in. Unless I am just missing it

All I seem to get from their site everywhere I click is "Coming Soon" <_<

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
All I seem to get from their site everywhere I click is "Coming Soon" <_<

If you call them, they are affiliated with a shipping compnay that will ship you a case. However, that costs like $70

My post was meant to encourage everyone to bring your local health food stores (Henry's, Trader Joes, Wild Oats, Whole Foods) and Lakefront brewery together. Normally, they will not do it by themselves.

They need "help". And that "help" is where you guys come in. Call the store, distributors and the brewery and get them on the same page.

Basically the brewery will do it if a distributor will carry it.

The distributor will carry it if a store will sell it.

A Store will sell it if it knows people want it.

So, start with the store and work yourself up. Like I said, this takes some manpower on ourbehalves, but its worth it.

I love being able to go to the store and picking up a "sixer". You will too...if you don't mind a little elbow grease.

Archived