This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Some Advice

beth01

beth01 Enthusiast

I was glutened about 10 days ago.  The only thing that has stuck around for symptoms is the brain fog, it won't lift. Two days ago I tried eating raw carrots for the first time since my diagnosis, I had about a handful of the mini's.  I felt fine for about 5 hours and then I felt awful, stomach pain, the big D, nausea and  a headache - all from carrots. I didn't have any other new foods, and the foods that I had that day I have had before and not had a problem with them. My stomach was so sore yesterday I couldn't eat anything.

Now today I have the worst headache, my body hurts from head to toe - I can hardly walk. I don't even know how to explain the pain, it's more of a bone ache than anything. My only joints that hurt are my hips and that is new too, any joint pain I had before was more my upper body.  I have never felt this way before, it's totally new. I also had the vaginal itching come back full force, vaginal bleeding TMI sorry. I can't take anything more than Tylenol, allergic to everything but fentanyl.

I don't have much experience with glutenings it's only been two months since my diagnosis but the few that I have had I am sick within hours.  I know people have said that their symptoms of a glutening can change and get worse after you have been off gluten for a while.

I have a gluten free house, the only thing I haven't done is change my pots/pans/dishes. They were all relatively new, we just washed them well.  Anything scratched is gone.

I am just at a loss, I didn't eat anything yesterday, only had water ( out of a water bottle so I know the damn cats didn't lick it), and my pills( all of them called 800 numbers and asked the company if they were safe).

Has this happened to anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I was glutened about 10 days ago.  The only thing that has stuck around for symptoms is the brain fog, it won't lift. Two days ago I tried eating raw carrots for the first time since my diagnosis, I had about a handful of the mini's.  I felt fine for about 5 hours and then I felt awful, stomach pain, the big D, nausea and  a headache - all from carrots. I didn't have any other new foods, and the foods that I had that day I have had before and not had a problem with them. My stomach was so sore yesterday I couldn't eat anything.

Now today I have the worst headache, my body hurts from head to toe - I can hardly walk. I don't even know how to explain the pain, it's more of a bone ache than anything. My only joints that hurt are my hips and that is new too, any joint pain I had before was more my upper body.  I have never felt this way before, it's totally new. I also had the vaginal itching come back full force, vaginal bleeding TMI sorry. I can't take anything more than Tylenol, allergic to everything but fentanyl.

I don't have much experience with glutenings it's only been two months since my diagnosis but the few that I have had I am sick within hours.  I know people have said that their symptoms of a glutening can change and get worse after you have been off gluten for a while.

I have a gluten free house, the only thing I haven't done is change my pots/pans/dishes. They were all relatively new, we just washed them well.  Anything scratched is gone.

I am just at a loss, I didn't eat anything yesterday, only had water ( out of a water bottle so I know the damn cats didn't lick it), and my pills( all of them called 800 numbers and asked the company if they were safe).

Has this happened to anyone else?

Did you say on another thread that you had some other illnesses? Maybe this is from them?

beth01 Enthusiast

I was thinking the same thing, but I have never felt this way before.  If I didn't have two kids here right now and could drive, I would be on my way to the hospital. I just don't want to go and have them tell me I'm and idiot and somehow glutened myself.

kareng Grand Master

I was thinking the same thing, but I have never felt this way before.  If I didn't have two kids here right now and could drive, I would be on my way to the hospital. I just don't want to go and have them tell me I'm and idiot and somehow glutened myself.

This doesn't sound like a glutening from 10 days ago. Maybe you have caught something? If you feel like you should go to the hospital, you can call 911.

beth01 Enthusiast

Today I don't have any nausea, no vomiting, no D, just the unbelievable pain. I am actually hungry. I didn't think it was a glutening either.  I am trying not to freak my kids out too much but they know momma doesn't feel right.  I had to go take a bath so I could cry. 

Thanks for the reply's Karen.

notme Experienced

hormones will mess you up, every time.........  or, i can't eat those pre-peeled carrots (even cooked) maybe they rinse them in something :( i dunno, just my experience.  sometimes it's not a 'glutening' vs 'something i can't eat right now' - it takes a minute to know the difference.  i know the first year i was gluten-free i was always second guessing where i got glutened right around my period time (headache, general 'goo' guts, fatigue) but give it time and you'll know what's gluten and what's mother nature.  i hope you feel better :)

beth01 Enthusiast

I somehow managed to make it through the night.  Not sure how, the pain was everywhere and traveling but it seems more like nerve pain that anything. And some of my bones ache.  One minute my back would hurt, then my foot, then my arm, my neck, my chest, my legs, then the fun of everywhere all at once.  It kind of came in cycles.  I called the clinic this morning to see if I could be seen by a staff doctor and not a resident but they didn't have any openings but I actually got in with my doctor tomorrow afternoon.  I just have to make it that long.  The nurse did stress to me that if I am in that much pain to go to the ER.  I told her I was concerned that when I go they treat me like a drug seeker and she told me if that happened to make a complaint.  She said she was going to put a note in my chart that I am not a drug seeker but have multiple health issues that cause me pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived