This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

There's nothing here yet

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Schellee94 replied to hilly's topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

Extreme bloating even gluten-free

2. - trents replied to hilly's topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

3. - hilly posted a topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

4. - Scott Adams replied to Ginger38's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Shaking/Tremors and Off Balance

5. - cristiana replied to Ginger38's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Shaking/Tremors and Off Balance

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Julie F.
    Newest Member
    Julie F.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Julie F.
      I have dealt with celiac disease for over 22 years. I was then positively diagnosed with a blood test. I was pregnant with my second child at the time. I eliminated wheat (barley, spelt, etc..) from my diet and as a side benefit, I noticed that the psoriasis on my ankles, elbows and knees had gone away after about a year. I made the connection that eating wheat had been causing my skin problems as well as abdominal issues. Turns out that they are both autoimmune diseases of which inflammation is a symptom. I also deal with dupuytren’s contracture. Not sure if there is a relationship there… am studying that one. Flash forward to near present time and menopause, my psoriasis was coming back even though I was careful in avoiding gluten. I did a bit of research and found new information on the relationship of gut health and autoimmune disorders.  Understanding that my symptoms were somehow food related, I decided to see an ND… Nature Pathic doctor and we did a gut zoom.  This is where they test a sample of your poop to see how healthy your gut biome is.  I was seriously lacking in certain key vitamins, healthy prebiotic factors as well as beneficial bacteria.  I followed an elimination diet and discovered a new sensitivity to corn by-products which I am now avoiding and I follow a regime of supplements and healthy diet (eating a rainbow of vegetables and organic if possible) to help me have a healthier gut biome. The psoriasis is reducing in size and I am feeling better. I am thinking that a gut zoom would be one of the first places to start for anyone dealing with celiac disease… it took me twenty years to figure it out.  I personally believe that factors contributing to my autoimmune issues are due mostly to what I was exposed to. My parents were heavy smokers and I was continually on antibiotics as a child because of ear, nose and throat infections. Antibiotics destroy a healthy gut environment. There is also information indicating that herbicides with glyphosate… that most US farmers use at harvest time (wheat, corn, soy, potatoes…) can be detrimental to gut health as well.   Interestingly, we inherit our own gut health from our mother’s womb before we are even born.  Is this part of the source of our genetic disposition for celiac and possibly other inflammatory diseases? I think that increasingly, more research will be done as medical professionals are making connections to gut health and immunity diseases… reading medical research papers has been challenging, but very helpful. I suggest using credible medical research papers and professional and government agencies when studying up on this relationship, don’t just take my word for it, but I did find the results from my gut zoom to be an invaluable resource.
    • Schellee94
      I'm having the same issues. Many things are causing extreme bloat. I'm dairy-free gluten-free and I also have to avoid sugar, quinoa, millet, teff, buckwheat, nightshades, alfalfa, all grasses, and chia hurts my joints. Canned garbanzo hurts me. Most beans hurt me. If I make lentils I soak and rinse several times and that makes them edible for me. I seem to be avoiding fresh garlic and onion as well fresh onion gives me a headache. I'm ok on corn, but not most soy. Rice is sort of ok. Then gluten free oats are ok if raw (not cooked, overnight oats are a good choice) . The list keeps growing and so does the bloat. I'm the same weight I was 2 years ago and much bigger in my arms and my belly and back. I'm looking at trying Dr Hyman's cleanse suggestions, and having a good amount of steamed cruciferous vegetables, as a mainstay for awhile. But it's pretty pricey for organic. I've been making my own bone broth but I cook it a lot longer so that I can get nutrients out of the bones not just the meat. This broth has helped me tremendously even though I would prefer not to have much meat it seems I really need it right now. I cannot eat pork it makes me feel poorly and I can't eat very much red meat for the same reason. If the eggs are raised properly I can eat the yolks and only sometimes eat the whites.  I hope this is helpful to highlight some triggers you might be experiencing yourself. There are some other posts here on the forum that highlight digestive enzymes and clean probiotics, as well as lectins. I'm going to look into that.
    • trents
      Some studies, with admittedly small sample sizes, show that about 50% of celiacs react to the protein casein in dairy the same way they do gluten. Can't find the NIH article I'm looking for but this one basically makes the point:   
    • hilly
      I was diagnosed in April. I have been very careful about being gluten-free, except for one accident in August where I ate candy with wheat. Despite being careful, I still experience extreme painful bloating almost daily. I'm so frustrated. I stopped eating gluten-free oats because I wondered if that was it. Now I am wondering if is dairy. I'm already tired of constantly wondering if I messed up.
    • Scott Adams
      In general I'm all for a formal diagnosis, except in cases where someone gets very sick when they eat gluten, and have already been on a gluten-free diet for a long time and don't plan to eat it again anyway. There seems to be more drawbacks that keep popping up with being formally diagnosed--at least here in the USA. I can testify that it's definitely harder to obtain life insurance, and if you can get it the premiums are quite a bit higher than if I did not have it, at least from my fairly recent experience when getting a new policy.  @Ginger38 you're very close to the end of your challenge, so let us know how it turns out.