This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Week late aftershock!?

mareahf

mareahf Apprentice

I got glutened a little over a week ago.  It took me a couple days to feel the effects but they came in the form or diarrhea, headaches, fatigue, and anxiety.  During this time I also developed a sinus infection.  It took a few days then I started feeling better.  Now a little over a week after I got glutened I'm having another set of diarrhea, nausea and fatigue.   This has happened to me before and I always assumed I was glutened again but I have been eating at home and very careful.  I don't think it is another glutening but maybe when I feel better I start eating more that might aggravate my gut? or do you think it might have to do with my sinus infection?  I didn't take anything but mucinex. 

Does this "aftershock" happen to anyone else? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Remember, celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder like lupus, MS or R.  Arthritis except the trigger for a flare-up is known -- gluten.  Unfortunately, no one knows what causes lupus or MS to flare-up (lots of theories, but no definitive answers).  For some celiacs, a flare-up is just a day or so.  For others a week or months!  I can vouch for months!  My antibodies were sky high after a glutening last summer six weeks after the occurrence.  I also became lactose intolerant for three months!  I was so bummed!  :( Plus, my symtoms were so different from when I was diagnosed.  

I am sorry that you were glutened.  I hope you feel better soon.  

Oh, I tend to alter my gluten-free diet to include soft easy-to-digest foods after a glutening.  Maybe this will help you.   

flowerqueen Community Regular

I had a similar problem, I was glutened after a meal out at the beginning of April and am still experiencing problems, obviously not as bad now, but bad enough.  I have also become intolerant to  xanthan gum since, which cuts down the foods I can eat even more. I'm already intolerant to dairy, soya, and a whole lot of other stuff.  Cyclinglady is right about the auto-immune disorders, and I've noticed I have similar problems to her.  I too, eat easy to digest foods until the glutening symptoms pass.

The sinus infection might also be a reaction to the glutening, it effects people in different ways.

Archived