This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recovery diet, nutrition, leaky gut?

KatieKing

KatieKing Newbie

I am having my endoscopy on Tuesday. I want to begin to heal my gut asap. I spent this morning in the ER with stabbing pain in my right shoulder blade, pain to the left of my belly button and vomiting. It's referred pain from my small intestine. I couldn't move or breathe hardly it hurt so bad. I NEED to get everything together to heal my gut asap. I don't want to ever go through this again.

What are your recommendations? I've been reading a bit on leaky gut - anyone have good experience/links

Or would the autoimmune diet be better? Are they one in the same?

I know I am also reacting to casein and possibly potatoes. 

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

Kyz1981 Newbie

I am in a similar position, I went Gliten free straight after my endoscopy as my bloods were so high, but ate dairy and things, once the biopsy results showed celiac along with pretty much no villi left I went on the auto immune diet. I am still on the first stage but feeling much better than being gluten free alone. The hard thing for me is trying to work out what causes symptoms as my insides are pretty damaged so cut everything out according to the diet to allow some time to heal before reintroducing foods.  I will start to reintroduce stuff in 4 weeks and only one food a week.

i had a scan for my gallbladder today as I've been getting upper abdo pain but it was clear of stones but inflamed so it may be worth checking out that too. I think the autoimmune diet and the leaky gut one are very similar so I would choose either, I found the autoimmune one uses a lot of coconut so if you like that then it's for you. 

Good luck

Livingnaturally Newbie

Eating a diet in whole foods instead of processed gluten free foods it a good start. Removing any foods that cause irritation to the gut can help. The most important thing is removing any sources of gluten from your diet. An autoimmune diet can be really helpful first:

remove foods bad for gut health/ potential allergens : (beyond gluten which obviously you will have to avoid forever)

grains, dairy, beans, soy, corn, eggs

Eat:

vegetables (cooked and blended if you are having trouble digesting them) also eat veggies with lots of soluble fiber as they are easier to digest (list below)

• Carrots
  • Winter squash
  • Summer squash (especially peeled)
  • Starchy tubers (yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes)
  • Turnips
  • Rutabagas
  • Parsnips
  • Beets
  • Plantains
  • Taro
  • Yuca

organic pasture raised meats (I know it's expensive but if you buy it in bulk and freeze and just eat small amounts it lasts a long time!) It's important to avoid hormones and antibiotics for gut health. 

Eat salmon at least once a week, it gives your body anti inflammatory fats and protein. Both great for your immune system!

Eat fruits and sprouted seeds and nuts.

After at least 30 days (or when you feel better) you can try and add in some of list to avoid above and see if they give you any symptoms. Add the food in a little bit one day and only one at a time (give it at least a few days between added the foods back in).

Drink bone broth and take an l glutamine supplement (if it's ok with your doctor) for gut health. Remember though that all of this will be useless if you aren't avoided gluten as best you can.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Elizabeth

Archived