This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloody Stool,Mucus, and Constipation

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Well after having on and off bloody stools and, and mucus issues for a few years now, doctors finally diagnosed the cause. Sometimes it would just be a few drops, others it would be globs of mucus and blood, Been trying to get it figured out for awhile and I lost my previous post on it. Sum it up I been having issues with getting the colonoscopy done, partial due to insurance at first then issues with getting my system to cleanse right.

Anyway doctor came back and said I have ulcerative colititis and said that this is one of the causes for my anemia and constipation issues. He said my issues are made worse by the combination of celiac on top of it. But also mentioned that people with celiac are more prone to get this. -_- Seems the diet is mostly the same to keep it in check, No gluten, No Dairy, No Fructose Drink plenty of fluids and be careful with foods that might cause blockages. So sorta explains my issues with tough foods, and having to blend or cook stuff to be super tender and moist. And why I kept having issues with blockages and having to massage my gut to get stuff to move sometimes. Just thought this might be informative to someone else trying to figure this out, drove me nuts and scared me for years. Seems I also now seem to have figured out why I do not tolerate fruits in large amounts especially grapes/apples/melons or sugars. as the fructose seems to be one of those things that causes a flare up.

If anyone else has this issue and can give some pointers or share their experience with ulcerative colitis please do. Still not 100% sure on the details myself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I am sorry to hear about your new diagnosis Ennis.  I've had mucus and blood before but for me it was related to dairy.  As long as I stay away from dairy, no problem.  Or not any like that anyway.

I know they have some drugs treatment for UC but am not sure what they are called.  Hopefully they have something that will help a lot. :)

Jmg Mentor

It can't be any fun getting another condition diagnosed Ennis, but I hope that you can get some comfort from having an explanation for all your symptoms. 

I'm sure you're well read on how to deal with this but here's Open Original Shared Linkon living with UC just in case it's of interest.

Remember to look on the bright side also, this will not affect your chances of becoming pregnant :P

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry to hear about your UC diagnosis, but at least you know what it is.  Now you can move forward and treat it (sounds like what you have been doing has helped immensely).  Hugs!  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Thanks for the support, seems it is mostly kept in check by the same diet I have been doing for years, I just now know why the fruits bug me, and have the peace of mind as to why I had those issues with the blood.  SO I guess now I just need to keep off those higher fructose fruits, adding a vitamin C supplement in, and going on about my life.

kareng Grand Master

I know there are meds for it.  You might try some.  I know people that have had great response to temporary medication and then a careful diet.  But they aren't as careful as you are - so maybe you could get a few foods back if you healed?

Archived