This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hormonal changes after going gluten-free

pavlovcat

pavlovcat Apprentice

I've been gluten free for 2 months now.  My doctor is still not sure whether I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity or celiac (blood tests positive, biopsies negative, still waiting for gene test results).  Since going gluten free my hormones seem to have changed.  My acne is suddenly back after being gone for years, my nails split and peel (something they did my whole life until I got pregnant, and then they were strong until now), my breasts are suddenly sprouting these odd tiny white hairs that pull out with no resistance, my PMS symptoms now include a delightful 4 or 5 days of loose bm's, and I get irritable and emotional around ovulation time.  

Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I would've hoped any hormonal changes would've made me feel and look BETTER, not worse, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case.  Is this typical while the body is healing? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced

I am so sorry this is happening to you. 

I don't know about your situation, but I did start a new series of Meds that made my skin oily (used to be dry), changed my hair texture for the worse and a few other weird hormonal like changes. And I'm in menopause (been since 2008). So I do know the female body can do weird stuff.

hope someone here can help you out, there's lot of great folks here!

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Pavlov and welcome!

Hormonal changes like that are not fun at all!  Have you had your thyroid fully checked recently?  The thyroid is the master hormone of your body, if it's not working optimally, things will suffer.  A full thyroid blood panel would include TSH, Free T4, Free T3, TPOAB and TgAb.  The last 2 are antibody tests.  Most people seem to feel best with the TSH around 1 and the free #'s in 50-75% of the range.

I have Hashimotos in addition to celiac and having my thyroid go out of whack has more than once wreaked havoc on my body.

Good luck to you...I hope you get some answers!

pavlovcat Apprentice

Thanks for the responses.  My GI doc did run lots of blood tests but I don't believe I've ever had a full thyroid panel done.  I know celiac can cause fertility issues, so it makes sense that recovering from celiac would affect my hormones, but I've never read about anyone else dealing with this type of thing.  I don't seem to have other thyroid related symptoms, but if it continues I will definitely be consulting my OBGYN and my regular doc.

• 2 weeks later...
frieze Community Regular

have you increased soy?  that and other estrogenic foods may be an issue

pavlovcat Apprentice

Not that I'm aware, frieze.  I was eating some crackers with tamari in them, but those were upsetting my system so I stopped after a few days.

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 5/3/2017 at 0:03 PM, pavlovcat said:

I've been gluten free for 2 months now.  My doctor is still not sure whether I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity or celiac (blood tests positive, biopsies negative, still waiting for gene test results).  Since going gluten free my hormones seem to have changed.  My acne is suddenly back after being gone for years, my nails split and peel (something they did my whole life until I got pregnant, and then they were strong until now), my breasts are suddenly sprouting these odd tiny white hairs that pull out with no resistance, my PMS symptoms now include a delightful 4 or 5 days of loose bm's, and I get irritable and emotional around ovulation time.  

Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I would've hoped any hormonal changes would've made me feel and look BETTER, not worse, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case.  Is this typical while the body is healing? 

Sorry this is happening to you! Once, after I saw a newborn trying to get their moms attention because they were hungry, I started lactating! I had not been nursing for 2 years..... I had milk for 2-3 years after that occurrence. Obgyn said it was normal. The body sometimes does weird things, but it's always good to clear with your docs! Let us know what they say.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
EllieD262 Newbie

Hi Pavlovcat 

I know you posted this a while ago but just wondering how you are now? I got diagnosed as celiac recently and I’m also experiencing big hormonal changes. I’ve had ultrasounds which show no abnormalities, and I can’t help thinking that it must be linked to my diagnosis as the timing is too coincidental. 

Like you, I was expecting to feel better after diagnosis, not worse!!

Archived