This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Premature Graying at 25 - Hashimotos and Thyrotain

Dperkins92

Dperkins92 Newbie

Hi All - I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos. My doctor said TPO AB 76 is above range. I initially went to the doctor because since graduating college 3 years ago I have gotten a significant number of gray hairs (25% of my hair I would say) and I just turned 25 and am an African American woman. She put me on OMP Thyrotain. Has anyone used this? She has also advised me to go gluten free. Has anyone seen any reversal in the grey hair? I don't consider myself a shallow person but at such a young age, without any family history of this, it's really impacting me negatively. Any advice or experiences would be so helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Dperkins92 said:

Hi All - I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos. My doctor said TPO AB 76 is above range. I initially went to the doctor because since graduating college 3 years ago I have gotten a significant number of gray hairs (25% of my hair I would say) and I just turned 25 and am an African American woman. She put me on OMP Thyrotain. Has anyone used this? She has also advised me to go gluten free. Has anyone seen any reversal in the grey hair? I don't consider myself a shallow person but at such a young age, without any family history of this, it's really impacting me negatively. Any advice or experiences would be so helpful.

Okay, a positive on thyroid antibodies,  but what about the rest of the thyroid panel?  That tells more of the story.   Is  rest of the thyroid panel all in the normal ranges?  Is that why you were recommended to take a supplement instead of actual thyroid hormone replacement?  Many doctors try a tiny dose of thyroid hormone replacement.  Was this considered?  

Symptoms besides gray hair?  

You can either embrace the gray hair or color it.  My research and personal experience has never come across a method of reversing grey hair.  My SIL grayed  at 18.  She has been coloring her hair black for decades and her thyroid is normal. 

Gemini Experienced

As far as the grey hair goes, I understand how you feel as I started going seriously grey in my mid 20's also.  As cyclinglady stated, there is nothing you can do about that except color you hair or live with the grey hair.  I chose to color it. Grey hair is generally either a genetic thing or it can be the result of vitamin deficiencies or illness.  It also can't be reversed, which would be heavenly, I agree!

You definitely need a full  thyroid panel done because you cannot diagnose Hashi's on antibodies alone.  I have Hashi's so know the drill.  No doctor should tell people to just go gluten free without some level of testing for Celiac.  Those with Hashi's can benefit greatly from going gluten free but that is because those that it helps noticeably also probably do have full blown Celiac.....without Celiac or non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, the gluten-free diet won't help.

The supplement you mentioned is just that....a supplement.  If you do have true Hashi's, you'll need more than that to help keep thyroid function normal for you.  I think you need to see another doctor because your doc is missing the boat here.  You really should have a full thyroid panel done and a full Celiac panel.  It is important to diagnosis (or not) these 2 conditions early so you won't have more problems down the road.  Can you request more blood work?

Victoria1234 Experienced

Just wanted to pipe in that my hair started going gray at 19. Started coloring it immediately and decades later, still doing it. I had the guts to go completely without coloring in my late 40's. i was fully gray by then, I used a wig during the hair regrowth period. Then one day I started again. And I'm a bit hypo myself but I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. My mom didn't start going gray till she was 50 but my dad started when he got polio at age 20. He was fully gray in his 40's. there's this one beautiful black woman on a tv show in the morning I watch sometimes with the disabled woman I assist, who has partially gray hair, and it is gorgeous on her. It's a cooking show that has several chefs on it but I have no clue as to what anyone's name is cause the sound is always low and we are doing other stuff!

**looked it up. Carla Hall on The Chew on abc 

TexasJen Collaborator

I was noticeably gray at 18. Both of my parents went gray young as well. I have no thyroid problems and I'm pretty sure my celiac issues didn't start until 20 years later....   I started dying it when I was 28. I wanted to look more professional!

Archived