This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

newbie: emotional issues accepting Gluten Free Life

Gma of 3

Gma of 3 Apprentice

I found out roughly 3 -4 months ago by accident that I am gluten sensitive.  One day I woke up and had joint pain in just about every joint on my left side. ie, elbow, wrist, knuckles, hip, knee, ankle and feet.  I was already having issues with intense foot pain that I mistook for plantar fasciitis.  Once I googled the symptoms, and realized ALL of several other things were happening at the same time as a result of gluten as well, I knew the answer.  I had been bloating in my belly for decades, and also having migraines for years,  but as of this year, I was looking VERY pregnant after each gluten episode. This was highly upsetting.

I am 52, and fairly active otherwise.  I had Migraines, depression, anxiety and now joint pain and peripheral neuropathy.  I'm on anxiety meds, and have hypothyroidism and diabetes 2.   Getting to the bottom of the problems with my symptoms finally, has been exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. 

I cannot test for Celiac because my insurance won't pay for this since I am not anemic and have no family history of Celiac. 

Since I have been eating gluten-free, I have been feeling better, besides the mistakes that produce symptoms within 30 min-an hour. When I make a mistake, my symptoms come on faster and faster, and also more intense.  For example, I ate at a restaurant thinking I was okay, and by the time I got home and exited the vehicle I looked 7 months Prego, and my feet felt like I was walking on razor blades.

The last week or two has been the best for not making mistakes, and finally I can eat without feeling horrible.

Here's the thing:  I still can't wrap my head around this!  I comb through the forum for answers and have learned so much!  I have an extremely supportive boyfriend.  I just am in so much denial about this.  It's emotional for me and some days I just can't handle it.  I know many people with full blown Celiac's disease have it way worse than I do, I just can't deal with this very easily.  Has anyone else been through the denial phase and emotional upset upon realizing the life changes that have to happen just to feel better when eating?  What did you do about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Short answer to this:

Has anyone else been through the denial phase and emotional upset upon realizing the life changes that have to happen just to feel better when eating?

All of us!!!!!! It's mourning & it's normal. Breaking down in the grocery store & sobbing? Yep. Normal & I think we've all done it at least once if not multiple times.

I would love to say more but dinner is calling me to go make it so I have to run for now.

HUGS!

Jmg Mentor
46 minutes ago, Gma of 3 said:

What did you do about it?

I wrote a big moany rant!

First few weeks are rough.  It gets better as you get your head around it.  But your response is natural and as SI says weve all gone through it. 

This is the process: Open Original Shared Link 

Best of luck :)

Victoria1234 Experienced
45 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I wrote a big moany rant!

First few weeks are rough.  It gets better as you get your head around it.  But your response is natural and as SI says weve all gone through it. 

This is the process: Open Original Shared Link 

Best of luck :)

JMG,  I just read your link and the posts about your non celiac diagnosis and although they are about a painful experience, they are enjoyable to read. You are very talented. Have any of your jobs involved writing?

Jmg Mentor
25 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

JMG,  I just read your link and the posts about your non celiac diagnosis and although they are about a painful experience, they are enjoyable to read. You are very talented. Have any of your jobs involved writing?

Yes, I used to write a lot, for work and pleasure. Now, not so much. Which probably explains why you guys have to suffer the occasional bout of nonsense!

Pauliewog Contributor

I have a friend with MS, another with breast cancer and a third with RA.  At the same age my only problem is I cannot eat gluten!  So when I start getting frustrated about food I think about that and how lucky I truly am.  Once you get in the swing of it it gets easier and then you start to feel better which makes it all worth it. 

Also when I first went gluten-free I read on this group about Mark's daily Apple and the Paleo community. I turned to that which was extremely motivating.  I've never seen so many people so excited about not eating gluten. It was a very positive energy and motivated me to find other foods to eat. Also, they love bacon! 

Gma of 3 Apprentice

Well thanks everyone seriously. I'm sure this will get better and I'm thankful this reaction is normal. So guilty when I think of others worse off than me. I will read and read and read until I've taught myself to feel better. And then help others ((((hugs all around)))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ya Ya Newbie

Hi!  Yes, we've all been there-- sad, angry--- I remember having a meltdown in a Whole Foods parking lot, thinking I would Never be able to enjoy a meal again.

Since you have reached the magic age of 50+, you might be due for a Colonoscopy/--- and in the 'pre' appointment, you should discuss your concerns with the gastro doc----- usually one Does have to eat gluten for a good length of time before the procedure---sorry--- but it might be just the way to get a diagnosis!!!

take care!

yvonne

squirmingitch Veteran

2 weeks of eating gluten for an endoscopic biopsy as opposed to 12 weeks for celiac serum panel.

Archived