This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

HELP PLEASE!! SYMPTOMS?

MayonnaisePlease

MayonnaisePlease Newbie

Hey all so ever since about a week ago I felt a sharp pain in my upper right quadrant, followed by a minor hotflash and it hurts to press on my right side. I'm extremely worried because I was admitted to the ER last night, blood came back fine, xray fine and ultrasound fine. What prompted me to enter the ER was the fact that now my breathing is affected..

SYMPTOMS SO FAR:

Sharp Pain Touching My Right Side

Minor weakness , no fever.

Mucus in stools? (when i wipe its a yellow on the toilet paper sorry for tmi)

Right shoulder soreness

Mucus in jugular? Or lung!? The "pipe" you can feel on your neck going up to your head, somewhat warm to the touch. Aches to touch. Happens mostly at night. Began last night and returned tonight.

Unusually smelly breath. Awful

Constipation, when I CAN go barely anything comes out as its flaky.

Slight Pain in right leg, comes and goes.

Very active stomach, gurgling can be heard from as high up as my chest.

Slight stomach pain relief when massaging.

I'm very worried people I'm petrified of surgery and I don't want to die.. But I don't understand why everything would come clean if im experiecing these symptoms?

Anyways

Edited by MayonnaisePlease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jabreu81 Newbie

The yellow is probably fat you are not absorbing.  The pain could be from your intestines being inflamed.  Go see the gastroenterologist.  The ER did not help me with any of those symptoms.  Good thing it's clear so you know it's not your appendix or any other vital organ.  It takes time but probiotics, bone broth and  vitamin D and b 12 help. My pain was mainly my muscles giving out from the malabsorption.

Estes Contributor
7 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Hey all so ever since about a week ago I felt a sharp pain in my upper right quadrant, followed by a minor hotflash and it hurts to press on my right side. I'm extremely worried because I was admitted to the ER last night, blood came back fine, xray fine and ultrasound fine. What prompted me to enter the ER was the fact that now my breathing is affected..

SYMPTOMS SO FAR:

Right shoulder soreness

Mucus in jugular? Or lung!? The "pipe" you can feel on your neck going up to your head, somewhat warm to the touch. Aches to touch. Happens mostly at night. Began last night and returned tonight.

I'm very worried people I'm petrified of surgery and I don't want to die.. But I don't understand why everything would come clean if im experiecing these symptoms?

Anyways

Some of your symptoms sound like my ulcers.  I take carafate before every meal now and they are much better.  I have 3 ulcers possibly caused by taking iron supplements.  They are worse when I eat spicy food and dairy.

I might be wrong but for your sake I hope it's just ulcers.  They were found by endoscopy.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

First have you been tested for celiac disease? Any doctor can do the blood test but you have to be eating gluten on a daily basis for the test to work, nut much just a half slice of bread a day. You should get this tested, the high constipation, coughing stuff up was very common for me before diagnosis. The coughing stuff up for me was from a allergy that developed I did not know of, the mucus was draining down my throat and choking me at times, and was constantly running a fever and night sweats. I was constipated for 4-10 days average back then and drinking plenty of liquids did not help in the least.

Your gut rumbling could be many things, celiac is one, SIBO is another especially with the bad breath. in your case it could be related to constipation causing rotting, fermenting, and bacterial overgrowth of the waste in your system.

Now to deal with the immediate symptoms, your constipation is also a sign of magnesium deficiency, I imagine you might have noticed some other symptoms from these. Now normally I would suggest either the Natural Vitality Calm or Doctors Best which is easier on the stomach. In your case I straight up suggest the Natural Vitality Calm it is a Magnesium Citrate and works a bit like a laxative. Start with 1/4 tsp twice a day in a beverage, I like the orange or the cherry in a hot green tea or you can try it in a juice. Up the dose slowly over a periods of a week to the full dose or perhaps a little more til you get a bit looser stool.    

You mentioned the mucus in the stool 2 things cause this normally. Undigested fats, and inflammation/irritation causing the body to produce the mucus to help defend itself and purge the irritants. A doctor can probably tell you more but I might suggest a digestive enzyme in the mean time. I like to use a super papaya enzyme before and after a meal, find them on amazon. Jarrow also makes full enzyme complex that can help.

Other thoughts if your on dairy, stop, with the constipation, and other issues this is a equation for trouble and you can reintroduce it in a few months when you clear up and see if it bothers you then. The bad breath can be a sign of lactose intolerance/digestive issues with dairy also. If it comes you you have celiac then you would have your explanation here as the villi which produce the enzymes to break down lactose are damaged/destroyed first causing most to develop a temporary lactose intolerance which for some goes away after a few months of healing.

B-vitamin folic acid, and niacin will be a huge help also with some things. but will we get into that a bit later feel free to look up Liquid Health Stress & Energy if you thing it might be relevant at this point it is what I use 3 times a day with another blend they have.

Posterboy Mentor
On 7/28/2017 at 0:00 AM, MayonnaisePlease said:

SYMPTOMS SO FAR:

Right shoulder soreness

Anyways

MayonnaisePlease,

Ennis_Tx has given you good advice.

(This is about your unusually smelly breath) aka "Dragon Breath".  I know I used to have it.

I would only add this article from the livestrong website about how a  B-complex might help bad breath.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545758-does-vitamin-b-complex-cause-bad-breath/

And you don't necessarily have "bad oral hygeine" as people typically think (or my friends) thought about me.

It can be a sign of low stomach acid.

Try taking some BetaineHCL (3 or 4 capsules) with each meal to see if it improves your digestion. .. if it does then you could be too low in stomach to digest your food for all the reason's Ennis_tx mentioned above.  Or a B-complex as mentioned in the livestrong article.

It works for some.  It doesn't work for some but it might be worth a try.

good luck on your continued journey.

**** this is not medical advice just my personal experience with "dragon breath" and how taking a B-Vitamin helped me.

I hope it helps you.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

mommida Enthusiast

Could be symptoms of gallbladder issues.  What tests were done to rule out gallbladder issues?

I had my gallbladder taken out a few years back and felt so much better after.  I tell you don't fear having a surgery that is going to make you feel so much better.  (If it is your gallbladder.)

iamlight Newbie

I too have experienced mucus in stool. Sometimes just gas and the passing of only mucus. Depending on what I eat or atleast I think it's due to food stuffs I can have a normal bowel movement. But consistency and frequency definitely alternate daily. 

I haven't had any real pain, just loud intestinal sounds especially a loud and gassy rectum. I have always been able to eat wheat and dairy. I've bacially survived on pizza most of my life lol. I have recently moved abroad to Sweden where my symptoms have gotten worse, way worse! If I eat anything too fatty like an egg omelette loaded with cheese diarrhea will follow. But I can eat boiled or fried eggs with potatoes without any major issues. 

I have been to the local clinic here and have had standard blood tests ran as well as a fecal occult test done. Everything came back normal except for slightly elevated liver enzymes. The doctor didn't seem to concerned but morning mucus sometimes with diarrhea isn't normal. I have visited Dr google many many times and it has bacially caused me to become a psychotic mess. Everything from food intolerances to cancer. Getting a colonoscopy in Sweden can be done but I'm going to have to fight very hard for it. They like to write these sort of things off to ibs or lactose intolerance which I've never been. 

So my question is this, 

Has anyone had my symptoms and was it attributed to gluten intolerance? Did it resolve once gluten was removed and are the effects of gluten accumulative? Seems I can get away with eating it for a day or so then symptoms arise on the third day and persist for another 3  days until I remove it but it never gets back to 100% normal. Definitely more normal bowel movements and less mucus but still never perfect. 

Any help from you very well informed individuals would be very much appreciated. I'm becoming very depressed and it's weighing hard on my relationship. I can't really leave the house for extended period of time without being close to a restroom while these symptoms are active. 

Symptoms: 

mucus with stool, sometimes mucus only 

lethargy and insomnia

anxiety and depression

excessive flatulence with thinner stool

alternating diarrhea with semi normal stool 

alternating stool color from yellowish to normal brown 

frequency trips to bathroom 6-8 during episode maybe more 

please help! And thanks 

Edited by iamlight

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
7 minutes ago, iamlight said:

I too have experienced mucus in stool. Sometimes just gas and the passing of only mucus. Depending on what I eat or atleast I think it's due to food stuffs I can have a normal bowel movement. But consistency and frequency definitely alternate daily. 

I haven't had any real pain, just loud intestinal sounds especially a loud and gassy rectum. I have always been able to eat wheat and dairy. I've bacially survived on pizza most of my life lol. I have recently moved abroad to Sweden where my symptoms have gotten worse, way worse! If I eat anything too fatty like an egg omelette loaded with cheese diarrhea will follow. But I can eat boiled or fried eggs with potatoes without any major issues. 

I have been to the local clinic here and have had standard blood tests ran as well as a fecal occult test done. Everything came back normal except for slightly elevated liver enzymes. The doctor didn't seem to concerned but morning mucus sometimes with diarrhea isn't normal. I have visited Dr google many many times and it has bacially caused me to become a psychotic mess. Everything from food intolerances to cancer. Getting a colonoscopy in Sweden can be done but I'm going to have to fight very hard for it. They like to write these sort of things off to ibs or lactose intolerance which I've never been. 

So my question is this, 

Has anyone had my symptoms and was it attributed to gluten intolerance? Did it resolve once gluten was removed and are the effects of gluten accumulative? Seems I can get away with eating it for a day or so then symptoms arise on the third day and persist for another 3  days until I remove it but it never gets back to 100% normal. Definitely more normal bowel movements and less mucus but still never perfect. 

Any help from you very well informed individuals would be very much appreciated. I'm becoming very depressed and it's weighing hard on my relationship. I can't really leave the house for extended period of time without being close to a restroom while these symptoms are active. 

Symptoms: 

mucus with stool, sometimes mucus only 

lethargy and insomnia

anxiety and depression

excessive flatulence with thinner stool

alternating diarrhea with semi normal stool 

alternating stool color from yellowish to normal brown 

frequency trips to bathroom 6-8 during episode maybe more 

please help! And thanks 

If you are getting this after eating a lot of cheese....maybe it's lactose intolerance?

iamlight Newbie
22 minutes ago, kareng said:

If you are getting this after eating a lot of cheese....maybe it's lactose intolerance?

I mean it's possible but is it possible all of a sudden? I've never had a problem with cheese but milk will definitely produce symptoms. Can I be gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant all at once? Cheese especially expensive cheese will bloat me like crazy but it's usually always eaten in conjunction with some type of bread or crackers. 

What about the mucus and looser stools? Have you had any experience with this? 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 minutes ago, iamlight said:

I mean it's possible but is it possible all of a sudden? I've never had a problem with cheese but milk will definitely produce symptoms. Can I be gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant all at once? Cheese especially expensive cheese will bloat me like crazy but it's usually always eaten in conjunction with some type of bread or crackers. 

What about the mucus and looser stools? Have you had any experience with this? 

Mucus and loose stools is a sign of intestinal irritation, something is causing issues. NOW with gluten and lactose yes there is a connection if you have celiac disease it will damage, blunt and destroy the villi in your intestines. Guess what, the tips of these villi that are damaged first, they produce the enzymes to break down diary. Hence why many celiacs have to get off dairy for a few years til the intestines heal. 

If you concerned about gluten and celiac disease you can go get tested for it, any doctor can have the blood test done. You have to be eating gluten daily at least a half slice a bread day at least for 12 weeks for the antibodies to show up in the test properly, Then a following endoscope and biopsy.

Joyful joanna Rookie

Look at carreggenan. It is made with seaweed, "the wheat of the sea", I react to these products just like gluten, as do many celiacs. So is MSG, alginate and agar. Check your dairy for these. Even nut milks are adding carreggenan, soups etc. I am an extremely sensitive celiac, Dx at 71. I react to anything with these products in them like I have gotten gluten.

Restaurants use carrageenan as an emulsifier in salad dressing, butter and sour cream, and they will not tell you, I have asked. One fish restaurant had a bowl of margarine, sour cream, half and half and butter, all contained carreggenan, it was on each label of ingredients!

Celiac is a complex disease. I have spent the last two years researching celiac disease, through the Mayo Clinic, Columbia University Medical Center and the University of Chicago. Gluten is hidden in flavorings, food starch. I called the folks who make Lean Cuisine and told them that most of their gluten free meals contained hidden gluten. Their response was to send me coupons to buy more.

Carraggenan is also in toothpaste, so read the labels. Crest Pro Health was one I reacted to. They too sent me a coupon to buy the one and only toothpaste that Proctor and Gamble makes with out carrageenan.

Processed foods are the worst. Read labels even the ones that claim to be gluten free lie and are made in factories that foods are cross contaminated in. Cherrios is a good example. General Mills refuses to consider cross contamination.

Be careful out there, even wild caught salmon may have red dye made with gluten. You have to be hyper vigilant.

i just got glutenated at the Cheese Cake Factory, after carefully going over with the server and the chef restrictions. The worst I have been glutenated in two years. My bone, muscle and joint pain was so bad I have had to take Tylenol around the clock. My life is in the toilet for the time being, pun intended. I am so bloated I can't fit in my clothes and my face is swollen too, have brain fog. It is a jungle out there.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Know yourself and your body and do not let "cookbook" doctors tell you. Keep searching, there are some good doctors out there, but you may have to fire a few like I did to get answers. Good luck!

Edited by Joyful joanna
iamlight Newbie
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Mucus and loose stools is a sign of intestinal irritation, something is causing issues. NOW with gluten and lactose yes there is a connection if you have celiac disease it will damage, blunt and destroy the villi in your intestines. Guess what, the tips of these villi that are damaged first, they produce the enzymes to break down diary. Hence why many celiacs have to get off dairy for a few years til the intestines heal. 

If you concerned about gluten and celiac disease you can go get tested for it, any doctor can have the blood test done. You have to be eating gluten daily at least a half slice a bread day at least for 12 weeks for the antibodies to show up in the test properly, Then a following endoscope and biopsy.

Thank you for the reply, 

The reason I don't think I have Celiac disease is because I don't experience pain. As in none, even with an episode of  diarrhea. Maybe a very faint cramp but nothing even close to what others say they experience with the disease. Which is why I think I could have an intolerance. 

Im a complete mess mentally though. I'm trying to hold it all together trying to figure this out. The healthcare system in Sweden is so different. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
57 minutes ago, iamlight said:

Thank you for the reply, 

The reason I don't think I have Celiac disease is because I don't experience pain. As in none, even with an episode of  diarrhea. Maybe a very faint cramp but nothing even close to what others say they experience with the disease. Which is why I think I could have an intolerance. 

Im a complete mess mentally though. I'm trying to hold it all together trying to figure this out. The healthcare system in Sweden is so different. 

The pain is not always present, hell I had for years not had ANY pain just other issues for years, I even developed the lactose intolerance years before. Later the pain came up and it quickly went really bad with my health nose diving and I thought I was dying and running a bucket list.  Some celiacs never have pain at all, end even a few cases called silent celiac they have NO outward symptoms and the disease slowly destroys their intestines.

As a process of elimination and to get it off the table as a possible issue get tested for it. I really do suggest, for now I would suggest keep eating the gluten til testing is done, and  removing just dairy from your diet completely as part of a elimination diet.

squirmingitch Veteran

BTW, you don't get a colonoscopy for celiac disease, you get an endoscopy with biopsies.

iamlight Newbie

Thanks again for the info, 

I am VERY reluctant to continue the gluten. My symptoms don't disappear when I stop eating it but they do fair a bit better. I have stopped eating dairy for now. I know that I need to eat gluten nonetheless for testing so I'll probably suffer through it. 

The one thing I haven't been tested for is parasites. I figure it could be worth a shot serif as I have recently moved abroad. 

Im also worried about colorectal cancer. I'm 33, haven't lived a healthy lifestyle especially in my 20's. You name it and I've pretty much done it. No family history but I'm still worried. 

Have any of you experienced similar symptoms I stated above? 

Mucus, flatulence, change in bowel habits etc? 

Edited by iamlight
cyclinglady Grand Master

Here is the deal.  You can NOT diagnose celiac disease by symptoms.  Why?  Because there are over 200 attributed to celiac disease.  I personal was just anemic.  No gut issues at all.  Only a blood test caught my celiac disease diagnosis.  Later, an endoscopy showed significant damage.  

You could go gluten free, but this diet can be hard if you have any DOUBTS.  It is a life-long commitment.  Some people have no choice (no access to medical), but if you do have medical access, consider getting the simple blood test.  

Parasites?  I would not consider Sweden a country that would have a parasite issue but anything is possible.  ?

Edited by cyclinglady
iamlight Newbie

I guess the reason why I wanted symptom based feedback is because when I don't consume gluten my symptoms seem to improve 75%. Maybe it's the timing of symptoms for something else but thats what seems to happen. Then when I reintroduce gluten I don't get symptoms until a day or so. Nothing immediate or allergic like. Just flatulence, mucus, gas and noisy lower bowel/rectum sounds. Hopefully it's not cancer. I'm obviously a mess over this but yeah, Friday I'll start with a new doctor. Hopefully he won't brush me off as another ibs case. 

• 3 years later...
Gloria L Enthusiast
On 8/8/2017 at 10:56 AM, Joyful joanna said:

Look at carreggenan. It is made with seaweed, "the wheat of the sea", I react to these products just like gluten, as do many celiacs. So is MSG, alginate and agar. Check your dairy for these. Even nut milks are adding carreggenan, soups etc. I am an extremely sensitive celiac, Dx at 71. I react to anything with these products in them like I have gotten gluten.

Restaurants use carrageenan as an emulsifier in salad dressing, butter and sour cream, and they will not tell you, I have asked. One fish restaurant had a bowl of margarine, sour cream, half and half and butter, all contained carreggenan, it was on each label of ingredients!

Celiac is a complex disease. I have spent the last two years researching celiac disease, through the Mayo Clinic, Columbia University Medical Center and the University of Chicago. Gluten is hidden in flavorings, food starch. I called the folks who make Lean Cuisine and told them that most of their gluten free meals contained hidden gluten. Their response was to send me coupons to buy more.

Carraggenan is also in toothpaste, so read the labels. Crest Pro Health was one I reacted to. They too sent me a coupon to buy the one and only toothpaste that Proctor and Gamble makes with out carrageenan.

Processed foods are the worst. Read labels even the ones that claim to be gluten free lie and are made in factories that foods are cross contaminated in. Cherrios is a good example. General Mills refuses to consider cross contamination.

Be careful out there, even wild caught salmon may have red dye made with gluten. You have to be hyper vigilant.

i just got glutenated at the Cheese Cake Factory, after carefully going over with the server and the chef restrictions. The worst I have been glutenated in two years. My bone, muscle and joint pain was so bad I have had to take Tylenol around the clock. My life is in the toilet for the time being, pun intended. I am so bloated I can't fit in my clothes and my face is swollen too, have brain fog. It is a jungle out there.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Know yourself and your body and do not let "cookbook" doctors tell you. Keep searching, there are some good doctors out there, but you may have to fire a few like I did to get answers. Good luck!

Hi, I'm a little confused about the salmon, what did you mean "even wild caught salmon may have red dye made with gluten"? they dye the salmon after they catch them? thank you.

Scott Adams Grand Master

So farmed salmon can be fed with a feed that contains a dye to change the color of their meat too look more dark orange, like wild salmon. Farmed salmon is often very light pink, and closer to white, unless they do this. However, I'm not sure if any farmed salmon food contains wheat or not, but even it did this would not mean that the salmon meat would contain any gluten. 

It's a myth that animals that are fed gluten would not be gluten-free, and a recent study was done to disprove this for beef: