This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test results

Wildfire123

Wildfire123 Apprentice

So I just heard from my GI doctor and he said my test results were normal for Celiac's. If they are normal then why am I still having symptoms? What do I do now?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you had a full celiac panel and biopsy then now you give the diet a good strict try to see if it helps.

Wildfire123 Apprentice

I'm not sure if I had full Celiac panel done. I just know they tested for it. Haven't had a biopsy done. Could it come up negative on blood work but still have a gluten intolerance of some sort?

Gluten-free-01 Enthusiast
2 hours ago, Wildfire123 said:

I'm not sure if I had full Celiac panel done. I just know they tested for it. Haven't had a biopsy done. Could it come up negative on blood work but still have a gluten intolerance of some sort?

Can you get copies of your blood test results? Trust me, it's better to see the results yourself, if possible. 

Let's say your GI doctor ordered the full celiac panel and the results are negative AND they are relevant because you were eating gluten at the time. You haven't had a biopsy but you still have unpleasant symptoms. Basically, there are two possibilities: 1. You have Non celiac gluten sensitivity. 2. You are a seronegative celiac.   

Wildfire123 Apprentice
17 minutes ago, Gluten_free_01 said:

Can you get copies of your blood test results? Trust me, it's better to see the results yourself, if possible. 

Let's say your GI doctor ordered the full celiac panel and the results are negative AND they are relevant because you were eating gluten at the time. You haven't had a biopsy but you still have unpleasant symptoms. Basically, there are two possibilities: 1. You have Non celiac gluten sensitivity. 2. You are a seronegative celiac.   

I will be able to see my results on Wednesday. I'll post them on this thread.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Get the copies of your celiac blood test panel.  You may have just had the TTG IgA and the control test (Immunoglobulin A).  The TTG is a good test, but does not catch all celiacs.   If you still suspect celiac disease, the EMA and the DGP should be ordered based on this celiac disease diagnosis algorithm below.  Keep in mind that some celiacs are seronegative.  

Open Original Shared Link

Wildfire123 Apprentice

As pomised here are my test results 

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-19-53-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-02-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-13-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-19-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-25-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-32-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-42-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-48-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-20-55-1.png

Screenshot_2017-09-13-09-21-01-1.png

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ok, so you've had TTG IgA - negative, Deamidated Gliadin IgA - negative and Total IgA - normal. A full celiac panel would also include the following: 

Deamidated Gliadin IgG 

Endomysium IgG 

Endomysium IgA 

TTG IgG 

Have you seen the diagram cyclinglady has given a link to? It's very interesting and useful.

Let us know if you have any questions.. 

Wildfire123 Apprentice

I've looked at it. It's kin of confusing. I need to study it along with my test results. Should I just go on a gluten free and aspartame free diet and see how I feel?

Well, the following applies to you: Celiace disease very unlikely. Exception: approx. 10% of patients with celiac disease are seronegative. (the left side of the diagram)

However, If I were in your situation, I would either persuade a doctor to order the full celiac panel or go to a lab and order it/pay for it myself (that's what I did eventually beacuse my GP is totally incompetent). Note: I don't live in the US/UK. 

Then if all the tests were negative, I would go gluten free anyway.

Btw I've noticed your glucose level is quite high.. 97.. ref. range: 65-99. (I'm not a doctor.)

Wildfire123 Apprentice

I do have blood sugar problems but never diagnosed with diabetes even though it runs heavily in my family. 

Wildfire123 Apprentice

I also had a gene test done at my psychiatrist's office.  Interestingly I had am heterozygous for the C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR gene.

I see, I'm a bit suspicious of it myself.. Did you eat anything before the blood test or is this the 'fasting glucose' test? There are other tests available btw: HbA1c, Oral glucose tolerance test, C-peptide, GAD antibodies.

8 minutes ago, Wildfire123 said:

I also had a gene test done at my psychiatrist's office.  Interestingly I had am heterozygous for the C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR gene.

I have no idea what it means, sorry.. I'd have to google it.

Wildfire123 Apprentice

Before the test I had Cookie Crisp cereal with milk (did not drink the milk. I hate milk except for in my cereal) and I had 3 chocolate donuts. Please Google that and let me know what you think.

1 hour ago, Wildfire123 said:

Before the test I had Cookie Crisp cereal with milk (did not drink the milk. I hate milk except for in my cereal) and I had 3 chocolate donuts. Please Google that and let me know what you think.

Wildfire123, I googled it (‘heterozygous for the C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR gene’) briefly and many research articles came up. I have to admit that I’m neither a medical professional nor a native English speaker. If I spent hours reading about it and used a medical dictionary, I’m sure I’d learn a lot about the subject. However, I don’t have so much time and don’t feel like I’m the right person to give you advice about it. I’ve told you my opinion regarding your celiac testing process but don’t have enough knowledge about that genetic test and its interpretation. As for the glucose, it wasn’t fasting glucose obviously so I think you don’t have to worry about it. I’m afraid I’m not able to help anymore. 

Good luck :)   

ravenwoodglass Mentor
1 hour ago, Wildfire123 said:

You said this before which makes me wonder if you had been gluten free or gluten light before you had celiac testing. If you were you need to go back on a regular gluten diet for 3 months or so and then have the celiac panel rerun.

Archived