This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does apple cider vinegar help?

Crystal star

Crystal star Newbie

For me I notice that apple cider vinger helps with my gluten attacks!does anybody else try this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Might help with ease of digestion, and there is studies that show it helps in the breaking down of carbohydrates so it helps reduce gas, bloating, and indigestion, But not really helping much your immune system attacking your intestines trying to kill the gluten, Still going to get damage and stuff in the background. 

I use it in making dairy free cheese, and sauces to give it that "bite" I also use it in baking in combination with baking soda subs and baking powder for rising gluten free and yeast free baked goods.

artistsl Enthusiast

I've heard it can really help with DH.

notme Experienced

if you have celiac and you eat gluten, you will feel terrible and do damage to your body.  there isn't any 'morning after' (for lack of a better term) tried and true remedy.  if i am accidently glutened (and i am insanely careful, so this does not happen often anymore) i find that drinking plenty of water and long, hot showers make me feel better, but it doesn't leave until day 14.  14 days.  ain't nobody got time for that.  no matter what i try, it's naps and snacks for 14 days.  then the fog lifts and my guts stop protesting. 

you will get better at avoiding gluten and cc by practicing being gluten free.  i would eat whole foods (avoid processed while your guts are healing) and skip eating out for awhile until you get better at knowing how to determine which restaurants are safe and which ones don't give a crap if they give you the craps <see what i did there lolz) go to the coping page and read the newbie thread.  there is much useful info there - more things to avoid than just bread - and ways to navigate this lifestyle.  welcome to your new normal.  pack a lunch, because if ya got celiac, every day's a picnic.  literally.  ;)

• 1 year later...
Deto Newbie

I have celiacs, and I recently had something that was cross contaminated with gluten. I started to break out and have hives. Annoyed at it, I remembered that acv helps detoxify the body, so I gave it a shot. Certainly hives can go away fast, but not my stomach rumbles. However when I had two tablespoons of ACV it went away within minutes. The hives were gone, the itchy sores on my feet which started to begin, that last 3-4 days, went away. Sure there is damage caused to your small intestine, but without ACV, I guarantee the damage would be more severe. I literally thought this was a miracle. I didn't even use Bragg's, I used a filtered pasteurised brand. To say this doesn't help with your intestine is silly. It definitely limits the damage as it breaks down carbohydrates. Obviously if you have celiacs, don't try to eat it gluten. But this definitely helps with the irritation of the disease. It literally worked for me, and I will continue to drink it, diluted in water. Wether I accidentally eat gluten or not.

Scott Adams Grand Master

In Asia many people make 1-2 year fermented vinegar at home, or buy it, and drink a shot or two daily after a meal. At first I thought it was some sort of alcohol, and that can happen too, but those who are really health conscious do this regularly for many reasons, including better digestion.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
On 4/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, Deto said:

I have celiacs, and I recently had something that was cross contaminated with gluten. I started to break out and have hives. Annoyed at it, I remembered that acv helps detoxify the body, so I gave it a shot. Certainly hives can go away fast, but not my stomach rumbles. However when I had two tablespoons of ACV it went away within minutes. The hives were gone, the itchy sores on my feet which started to begin, that last 3-4 days, went away. Sure there is damage caused to your small intestine, but without ACV, I guarantee the damage would be more severe. I literally thought this was a miracle. I didn't even use Bragg's, I used a filtered pasteurised brand. To say this doesn't help with your intestine is silly. It definitely limits the damage as it breaks down carbohydrates. Obviously if you have celiacs, don't try to eat it gluten. But this definitely helps with the irritation of the disease. It literally worked for me, and I will continue to drink it, diluted in water. Wether I accidentally eat gluten or not.

This varies with people but as with everything one persons, medicine is another's poison. ACV in many slows gastric emptying and can cause gastroparesis, for me this is true and I have to be careful if I use it in cooking. 
Another thing to consider is those with damaged intestines it can cause pain and suffering, from a perspective point pouring ACV on a carpet burn or lesion on your skin is going to burn, similar to damaged intestines depending on the damage, mucus, other foods eaten, and the bodies ability to neutralize the acid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ch88 Collaborator

ACV, Baking Soda or lemon juice can effect the ph within kideneys and kidney function. There is an study online about how baking soda can help reduce inflammation. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Speaking of reducing inflammation here is a new article posted yesterday:

...although too much turmeric can cause gastric issues.

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 4/25/2019 at 9:54 PM, Deto said:

I have to agree with Ennis.  Many of with celiac disease have more than one autoimmune disorder.  I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and celiac disease.  I also have a recent diagnosis of autoimmune gastritis.   In a nutshell,  my body is attacking my stomach cells that produce acid.  Therefore I often have low stomach acid.  Adding foods like apple cider vinegar and a clean diet can help.  Low stomach acid is also common as you age.  

What is important is to find the actual root cause of your GERD, indigestion, gas, pain,  etc. because the treatment varies.  These classic stomach symptoms can be due to either low acid or high acid or even cancer.  

Hives are pretty horrible.   My allergist prescribed antihistamines which gave me some relief when I had them daily for six months. She said they were most likely related to my Hashimoto’s based on her patient population.  My GI thinks it is both Hashimoto’s and Autoimmune Gastritis.  And  frankly, they could be simply be related to celiac disease too.   Who knows for sure?  

I have learned that triggering my celiac disease with a gluten exposure sets off not only my celiac disease but my other autoimmune disorders.  They all seem to be linked.  I also learned that I could not blame all my lingering symptoms on celiac disease alone.  I spent months tweaking my diet in order to avoid gluten, but still my symptoms persisted.  A repeat endoscopy revealed healed intestinal villi, but a damaged stomach due to AIG.   I was not getting gluten into my diet!  

I should have listened to my GI and had that repeated endoscopy sooner!  

cyclinglady Grand Master
18 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Speaking of reducing inflammation here is a new article posted yesterday:

...although too much turmeric can cause gastric issues.

Turmeric could be helpful or or might not.  Everyone reacts differently to foods.  For example, garlic, leeks and onions are supposed to have anti inflammatory properties but they trigger my Rosacea (facial redness, raised skin, pustules) and cause GI upset despite being healed from celiac disease.  

Experiment and determine which foods are best for you. (I know you know this Scott but other members might not ?).  

Here are other foods that may help.  

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anti-inflammatory-foods-2505929

Posterboy Mentor

Deto,

Try some bromelain found in Pinneaples...I believe it will help your digestion.

It works the same way as turmeric by regulation of Prostaglandins in the body thus controlling inflammation.

Here is a wisegeek article on it (foods that contain) anti-inflammatory Prostaglandins. ..including Bromelain from Pineapples.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-factors-affect-prostaglandin-production.htm#didyouknowout

The bitter of the ACV can stoke up more production of stomach acid thus alleviating your temporary belly ache the same way Ginger Ale might or turmeric for those who like it's "spicy" kick you get from Indian foods.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor

Ennis_Tx, Scott, and Cyclinglady et al,

Here is a couple of good links on Prostaglandins ....both inflammatory and anti-inflammatory.

This is one is how Prostglandins work in the body and is more technical entitled "prostaglandins and inflammation" covering both the good and bad kind(s)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3081099/

this is one is a little less technical focusing on the "good" type of prostaglandins the PGd2 type) like the kind found in Turmeric and bromelain etc... entitled "Mast cell mediators: Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2)"

https://www.mastattack.org/2015/04/mast-cell-mediators-prostaglandin-d2-pgd2/

and what is typically happening in an mast cell attack...disorder(ed) prostaglandin attacks in the skin.

quoting

"In mast cell patients, PGD2 is probably most well known for causing flushing. This happens due to dilation of blood vessels in the skin. Due to a well characterized response to aspirin, this is generally the first line medication choice. Some salicylate sensitive mast cell patients undergo aspirin desensitization to be able to use this medication."

so in theory at least according to the mast attack.org website taking aspirin (at least not those desensitized  to it) could help DH sufferers.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
On 4/27/2019 at 10:59 AM, cyclinglady said:

Turmeric could be helpful or or might not.  Everyone reacts differently to foods.  For example, garlic, leeks and onions are supposed to have anti inflammatory properties but they trigger my Rosacea (facial redness, raised skin, pustules) and cause GI upset despite being healed from celiac disease.  

Experiment and determine which foods are best for you. (I know you know this Scott but other members might not ?).  

Here are other foods that may help.  

Cyclinglady,

This research might explain why some foods effect you more than others.

https://hypothyroidmom.com/autoimmune-patients-have-you-heard-of-th1-and-th2-dominance/

th1/th2 for those are not up on this thread is T-helper cells.

it lists foods that encourage one th1/th2 balance over another and disease states that are either th1 or th2 dominant.

Much like ANA levels Th1/Th2 balance is often checked/measured in auto-immune diseases .. .now if only a baseline could be established for Celiac/NCGS for a Th1/Th2 balance this would be a helpful diagnostic too!

If anyone knows if there is one currently...do share!

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

• 1 year later...
Doreen Henry Newbie
On 10/17/2017 at 2:03 AM, Crystal star said:

For me I notice that apple cider vinger helps with my gluten attacks!does anybody else try this?

Yes, I just tried ACV!  I heard someone mention it the other day. Earlier, I started wondering  why am I so confused? When I start asking that, I realize its a Gluten Attack. The fog went away in minutes after taking the 2 tbs. ACV with water, But my stomach is still reeling from the attack. Its taken about half hour or so. Its getting a little better, maybe. I still feel like I might have to go lay down.

Scott Adams Grand Master

@Doreen Henry, welcome to the forum and sorry you were glutened!

This article may be helpful: