This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

People are very angry towards non gluten eaters....

Victoria1234

Victoria1234 Experienced

The comments on this are insane. I had no idea there was so much animosity towards gluten-free people.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
11 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

The comments on this are insane. I had no idea there was so much animosity towards gluten-free people.

Many people think of it as  joke.....I sell at farmer markets and label my stuff gluten free. Being made fun of, poked jokes at, laughed at, criticized...yeah it is daily the comments I get are crazy and fucked up. I have snapped a few times even (highlight of my life was turning to one person who insulted me and joked about gluten where I switched to japanese and asked them "Would you like to try dying once" while smiling and they just walked off). Heck at my dads shop they had a worker that thought poisoning me was funny -_-, well til he got his pay docked each time he did something stupid.

I have a animosity for gluten eaters, I have to leave the room if they are eating, it for me anyway is like watching someone eat a box of rat poison, or drink antifreeze. Bugs the hell out of me and I loose that perspective we are the same species.....like they devolve to some alien creature consuming something poisonous.  Like "I eat that I am on the floor and sick for days.....are you OK?!" I can not get over it.

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Many people think of it as  joke.....I sell at farmer markets and label my stuff gluten free. Being made fun of, poked jokes at, laughed at, criticized...yeah it is daily the comments I get are crazy and fucked up. I have snapped a few times even (highlight of my life was turning to one person who insulted me and joked about gluten where I switched to japanese and asked them "Would you like to try dying once" while smiling and they just walked off). Heck at my dads shop they had a worker that thought poisoning me was funny -_-, well til he got his pay docked each time he did something stupid.

I have a animosity for gluten eaters, I have to leave the room if they are eating, it for me anyway is like watching someone eat a box of rat poison, or drink antifreeze. Bugs the hell out of me and I loose that perspective we are the same species.....like they devolve to some alien creature consuming something poisonous.  Like "I eat that I am on the floor and sick for days.....are you OK?!" I can not get over it.

Thanks for letting me know. My town is super liberal and luckily I don't get any of that here. I'd be very angry. I work in a town that is different, so I don't bring it up at all.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Wow 

I did know of the horrible thoughts and aggression towards gluten-free eaters. I have experienced personally before in several work places being gluten-free prior to my gluten challenge an array of behaviors quite frankly imho that should be considered a violation/ discrimination of  legally protected disability state/federal laws. I was undiagnosed at the time but was gluten-free.

I was constantly offered cake and other gluten products to see if I would eat it. If I was out of office I came in to find gluten items all over my desk or on the filing cabinet on the other side of my station wall where my work files were. The cabinet I went in and out of daily.

I was told gluten-free eaters were crazy by a former boss. He would ostracize me in front of newly hired employees. He would constantly "invite" me with a group to lunch to go somewhere gluten filled pizza, Italian etc. Then he'd say oh wait you can't eat that can you? He would say it in a mockery fashion with a smart Alec look on his face. I could see the other coworkers discomfort. He did this regularly. 

He is the same one when I did not participate in work pizza parties that told Employees -I was a stuck up , introvert, who didn't get along with others. Since I ate at my desk and went for a walk vs. attend the party. He left out I ate gluten-free. Obviously the man had issues much deeper than celiac and really should not be a supervisior of anybody. He had numerous employees over the years before I got there who asked to switch departments. I was his lone employee and went through 7 coworkers in 3 years when they attempted to hire someone.

I asked to switch departments or bosses but was told personality conflicts and disagreements are  not a valid reason for requesting position changes. My coworkers (in other depts/bosses)were shocked as others got reassigned. 

Apparently , I heard from other employees this man once trained to be a EMT/paramedic in college courses, but was unable to find or be hired as one. feeling fiesty once I responded well it's possible he failed the psychological portion due to his lack of empathy and bedside manner traits an emergency worker should have and a fire department would seek. 

I had other co workers at another job leave articles in my inbox about how gluten free diet is not real etc. 

I was thankful for the decent employees at the various jobs I had who treated me with respect and kindness. Who remembered I had food issues and always stated they were sorry I could not participate in the food events, but if there was any place we could order from for me to let them know. 

Ennis I love that your Dad docked the pay of the poisioner who harmed you. That is touching.

Gluten dude's dudette/ wife go get 'em lady!

As for the Dr on the posting who said gluten-free is a fad and said it doesn't apply to celiacs, if you are a professional act like one. You can't make a blanket general gluten-free derogatory statement and say it doesn't apply to celiacs only AFTER you offended one of their loved one /supporters. Your bedside manner is severely lacking and perhaps the medical field is not a fit for you. As for celiacs sadly many of us have experienced Dr's of your caliber before. That's why we keep a community to suggest and support each other and share the Dr's who have the traits , skills, and knowledge to attend to celiacs. 

As for David not enough space or time to address you clearly you have transference going on target at celiacs.....

Thanks V

I think I got some celiac venom out- how therapeutic.

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Wow 

I did know of the horrible thoughts and aggression towards gluten-free eaters. I have experienced personally before in several work places being gluten-free prior to my gluten challenge an array of behaviors quite frankly imho that should be considered a violation/ discrimination of  legally protected disability state/federal laws. I was undiagnosed at the time but was gluten-free.

I was constantly offered cake and other gluten products to see if I would eat it. If I was out of office I came in to find gluten items all over my desk or on the filing cabinet on the other side of my station wall where my work files were. The cabinet I went in and out of daily.

I was told gluten-free eaters were crazy by a former boss. He would ostracize me in front of newly hired employees. He would constantly "invite" me with a group to lunch to go somewhere gluten filled pizza, Italian etc. Then he'd say oh wait you can't eat that can you? He would say it in a mockery fashion with a smart Alec look on his face. I could see the other coworkers discomfort. He did this regularly. 

He is the same one when I did not participate in work pizza parties that told Employees -I was a stuck up , introvert, who didn't get along with others. Since I ate at my desk and went for a walk vs. attend the party. He left out I ate gluten-free. Obviously the man had issues much deeper than celiac and really should not be a supervisior of anybody. He had numerous employees over the years before I got there who asked to switch departments. I was his lone employee and went through 7 coworkers in 3 years when they attempted to hire someone.

I asked to switch departments or bosses but was told personality conflicts and disagreements are  not a valid reason for requesting position changes. My coworkers (in other depts/bosses)were shocked as others got reassigned. 

Apparently , I heard from other employees this man once trained to be a EMT/paramedic in college courses, but was unable to find or be hired as one. feeling fiesty once I responded well it's possible he failed the psychological portion due to his lack of empathy and bedside manner traits an emergency worker should have and a fire department would seek. 

I had other co workers at another job leave articles in my inbox about how gluten free diet is not real etc. 

I was thankful for the decent employees at the various jobs I had who treated me with respect and kindness. Who remembered I had food issues and always stated they were sorry I could not participate in the food events, but if there was any place we could order from for me to let them know. 

Ennis I love that your Dad docked the pay of the poisioner who harmed you. That is touching.

Gluten dude's dudette/ wife go get 'em lady!

As for the Dr on the posting who said gluten-free is a fad and said it doesn't apply to celiacs, if you are a professional act like one. You can't make a blanket general gluten-free derogatory statement and say it doesn't apply to celiacs only AFTER you offended one of their loved one /supporters. Your bedside manner is severely lacking and perhaps the medical field is not a fit for you. As for celiacs sadly many of us have experienced Dr's of your caliber before. That's why we keep a community to suggest and support each other and share the Dr's who have the traits , skills, and knowledge to attend to celiacs. 

As for David not enough space or time to address you clearly you have transference going on target at celiacs.....

Thanks V

I think I got some celiac venom out- how therapeutic.

I am so sorry you had to go thru all that awol. 

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
1 minute ago, Victoria1234 said:

I am so sorry you had to go thru all that awol. 

Thank you.

I am too.

Ennis had it worse as my bully did not sabotage my food.

I hope to one day find a place that appreciates my work ethic, and is tolerant, and respectful of my illness.

Victoria1234 Experienced
32 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Thank you.

I am too.

Ennis had it worse as my bully did not sabotage my food.

I hope to one day find a place that appreciates my work ethic, and is tolerant, and respectful of my illness.

I can tell you that having to walk thru a room of cookies and cakes to go to the bathroom was very difficult for me 10 years ago. I was in tears daily. But no one actively offered them to me nor were they sabotaging my food like they did with Ennis. It's hard enough these days watching the kids at school eat their gluten filled lunches. You'd think I'd be used to this by now but I'm still a ? baby.

i believe you will find a great employer that will be thrilled to have you! Just keep networking and polish up that resume the best you can. I'm in the same boat, looking for a new school :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived