This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Morwenna1
    Newest Member
    Morwenna1
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Peace lily
      My nutritionist gave this recipe. 1/2 c oats 1/2 c cottage cheeses with protein  2 eggs into the blender ,enjoy  peace lily😊
    • marip
      Lately I have been having grey pale stools I get intermittently.  Sometimes cramping pain with it.  Could this be celiac disease?
    • knitty kitty
      @Nogluten4thisgirl, It's been my experience these symptoms are related to vitamin deficiencies caused by poor absorption due to intestinal damage and inflammation caused by Celiac Disease.  They are inextricably linked. How long have you been taking B12 and Vitamin D supplements?  What changes have you seen in your levels? There's eight B vitamins.  They all work together.  B12 needs Folate B9, Pyridoxine B6, Riboflavin B2, and Thiamine B1, as well as copper.  Taking just B12 can mask a Folate deficiency.   I learned about vitamins by studying nutrition, but I learned about how vitamins function inside the body by studying microbiology.  I have had personal experience with malnutrition.  My doctors didn't recognize the nutritional deficiency symptoms.  Doctors, out of seven years of medical education, are only required twenty hours of nutritional education.  They don't recognize the vitamin deficiency symptoms when they are taught vitamin deficiencies don't occur outside of starvation in refugee camps or third world countries.   My doctors prescribed pharmaceuticals to cover the vitamin deficiency symptoms I had, but they did not investigate why the symptoms occurred in the first place.  The medications just made things worse.  So ill, I could feel myself dying, I started grasping at straws.  I started supplementing with vitamins and began feeling better.  I took Thiamine (Benfotiamine) and felt improvement within the hour.   The B vitamins are water soluble, easily lost in urine, as well as with diarrhea and constipation.  B vitamins cannot be stored long inside the body, so we need to consume them every day.  Thiamine can only be stored for two to three weeks, but can become depleted in as little as three days if there's a high metabolic demand, like an illness, emotional trauma or physical exercise.   Blood levels are not accurate measurements of how much of a vitamin is stored within cells, where the vitamins actually function.  Blood levels can reflect how much of a vitamin was consumed during the previous twenty-four to forty-eight hours and is waiting to be absorbed.  If there's not sufficient vitamins stored within cells, the cell cannot function properly and dies.  The brain will order cells to release stored vitamins into the bloodstream to sustain important organs like the brain and heart.   The brain uses as much Thiamine just thinking as muscles do running a marathon.  Thiamine deficiency symptoms affect brain function (brain fog, memory problems, ADHD, depression, emotional lability, anxiety, panic attacks, irritability), and heart function (heart palpitations, heart failure, edema of the lower legs).   The B vitamins are water soluble, safe and nontoxic.  If you don't need it, the body easily excretes it in urine.  The best way to see if you're low in B vitamins is to take them and look for health improvements.  With thiamine, improvement is seen quickly, within an hour, but the others may take a few weeks for improvement to be seen.   Do talk to your doctor before supplementing.  Do discuss thiamine deficiency symptoms and wet beriberi.  Because the B vitamins are safe even in high doses, there's no harm in trying supplementing with Benfotiamine, a B Complex supplement, and magnesium.  
    • Peace lily
      Welcome to the forem i got diagnosed in march with cealiac it’s been a process for me  I’m strictly gluten free . I went years with suffering with the pain . Don’t want to go thru with that again if I can help it but I found you really have to read the labels on food products . I had a nutritionist for awhile and helped me get thru this who new soy sauce has gluten in it. plus this forem helps a lot you will get a lot of knowledge. good luck peace lily
    • Nogluten4thisgirl
      I don’t think I have gotten a full work up for vitamin deficiencies, especially Thiamine.  My levels have been very low, and even with gluten-free diet and vitamin supplementation, my B12 was on the lower end.  It’s improved a tad, so hopefully over time and sticking with gluten-free it will get even better.     So celiac would cause some of these symptoms or just vitamin deficiency?