This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Benefits to getting tested for Celiac?

mom2boyz

mom2boyz Apprentice

I'm pretty sure I have celiac, and I've probably had it since I was a teenager.  We're a Swedish family.  I believe my aunt also has it (she's a head shorter than her siblings and has always had a hard time keeping food down), and my son who has weight gain issues, and hives that mysteriously and alarmingly come and go.  I have what I thought was IBS, female problems, premature labor, dental enamel problems, and trouble gaining weight.  Realization happened this past weekend, I've been grain & sugar free by choice, eating at home since the holidays, feeling great, and on Friday I had pasta and I'm still feeling the effects.  So I started looking at gluten intolerance, and found myself here.

I'm pretty angry at the medical community, especially on my son's behalf.  He's had problems since birth (probably because I had problems and I nursed him), and they've never really done anything about it.  I don't want to even look at his doctor right now.

I am also hesitant to introduce more gluten in our diet just to get tested for celiac.  I don't want to have diarrhea for weeks by reintroducing gluten, and really I want to get on with my life,  gain 10 lbs and feel healthier.  I really don't see a good reason to test.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

exshuffleskater Rookie
55 minutes ago, mom2boyz said:

I'm pretty sure I have celiac, and I've probably had it since I was a teenager.  We're a Swedish family.  I believe my aunt also has it (she's a head shorter than her siblings and has always had a hard time keeping food down), and my son who has weight gain issues, and hives that mysteriously and alarmingly come and go.  I have what I thought was IBS, female problems, premature labor, dental enamel problems, and trouble gaining weight.  Realization happened this past weekend, I've been grain & sugar free by choice, eating at home since the holidays, feeling great, and on Friday I had pasta and I'm still feeling the effects.  So I started looking at gluten intolerance, and found myself here.

I'm pretty angry at the medical community, especially on my son's behalf.  He's had problems since birth (probably because I had problems and I nursed him), and they've never really done anything about it.  I don't want to even look at his doctor right now.

I am also hesitant to introduce more gluten in our diet just to get tested for celiac.  I don't want to have diarrhea for weeks by reintroducing gluten, and really I want to get on with my life,  gain 10 lbs and feel healthier.  I really don't see a good reason to test.

I went through this too... same here, my aunt and I have similar health, only mine's much worse.  I wish I could've had a child.  You're lucky in that.  Gratefulness wherever it's found, right?  :) I decided to try and validate teh diagnosis because I took care of a couple of dying and elderly people in my family (somehow I end up the caregiver, I guess bc I have no kids, but I don't mind).  And it became a hassle to get them proper diets when others were cooking for them. Places would claim they did gluten-free, and I'd say, ok you don't have to beperfect about it, but it would be great if the easy stuff were done... like use gluten-free breads from Udi for sandwiches, etc...  and they'd ignore it.  If they had a diagnosis, nobody would've been able to ignore it.  They'd have been bound to do it.  And additionally they'd have been required to avoid Cross Contamination.  That's the boogieman of food service.  Being nice doesn't work when it's balanced against somebody's bottom line. And I think, someday, we all will need help, so having the diagnosis is more of a long term issue.  Plus your child will be more easily tested if you already have the diagnosis.  It's known to run in families.  I wish my mom were diagnosed already (I susupected she had it), and I could claim a family tie to it, it would make doctors listen more. 

mom2boyz Apprentice
13 minutes ago, exshuffleskater said:

I went through this too... same here, my aunt and I have similar health, only mine's much worse.  I wish I could've had a child.  You're lucky in that.  Gratefulness wherever it's found, right?  :) I decided to try and validate teh diagnosis because I took care of a couple of dying and elderly people in my family (somehow I end up the caregiver, I guess bc I have no kids, but I don't mind).  And it became a hassle to get them proper diets when others were cooking for them. Places would claim they did gluten-free, and I'd say, ok you don't have to beperfect about it, but it would be great if the easy stuff were done... like use gluten-free breads from Udi for sandwiches, etc...  and they'd ignore it.  If they had a diagnosis, nobody would've been able to ignore it.  They'd have been bound to do it.  And additionally they'd have been required to avoid Cross Contamination.  That's the boogieman of food service.  Being nice doesn't work when it's balanced against somebody's bottom line. And I think, someday, we all will need help, so having the diagnosis is more of a long term issue.  Plus your child will be more easily tested if you already have the diagnosis.  It's known to run in families.  I wish my mom were diagnosed already (I susupected she had it), and I could claim a family tie to it, it would make doctors listen more. 

That is a good point, I think I'll talk to his doctor about it.  I really find the whole diagnosis process very unacceptable.  I get that diagnosis is hard to get, but it's not very accurate, and it's potentially damaging.

5143Betty Rookie

Hi:) I went gluten free over a year ago after I had many celiac symptoms. I feel amazing and decided not to get tested, but I’m rethinking that now. My thinking now is that I’d like to be able to know I’m not causing any damage and not knowing. I’d like to know I’m  healthy for sure, and that I’m doing well avoiding cross contamination also.  I haven’t worked up the bravery to go back on gluten, but I know I’m going to eventually.  Best of luck in your decision. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I completely get your not wanting to do a gluten challenge.  My hubby went gluten free some 17 years ago based on the poor advice of my allergist and his GP.   The gluten free diet worked though.  Then 12 years later, I was diagnosed with celiac disease.  Anemia was my only symptom — no GI symptoms.  

My hubby would be the first to say that I have had WAY more support from medical, family and friends.  It was easy to get our kid tested since I was diagnosed even though she was symptom free.  If she does develop celiac disease, she could be protected at school with a 504 plan.   

Everyone has different issues and circumstances, only you can determine what is best for you and your family.  

lyfan Contributor

Fifteen years ago, perhaps four doctors (two in the US, one in Japan, etc.) really were working with celiac. Ten years ago, it was "Haven't you heard about" and the general medical community may have still be unlearned but they knew where to refer people to pursue this. Now? It is open news, there is gluten-free food marketed in the stores, and research IS being done.

The issue of not being able to have a "proper" diagnosis without gluten followed by a biopsy is ridiculous, yes. The problem is that reliable non-invasive testing simply hadn't been an issue, it requires expensive research and trials. That's not restricted to Celiac.

But perhaps more so, one could ask why even bother with formal testing? If your condition is not celiac, but you are non-celiac wheat sensitive, the "treatment" and procedures to follow are identical. The problem and solution are identical. So, the golden standard testing is pretty much worthless to the sufferer.

If you are reacting to gluten, and removing gluten from your diet solves the problem? That's pretty much all you need to know and all you need to do. As much as I would also like non-invasive conclusive testing and more work towards a "cure" (which may come from vaccination, gene therapy, and other more esoteric approaches) I know that for now, given the state of the medical arts, I don't need a gluten challenge or a biopsy. I need to stay away from gluten, and there's no doctor on the planet who can give me more specific or better advice. So, start with that. Explore other options with patience, as you find out about them. Right now? It is a waiting game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Phillus Maximus
    Newest Member
    Phillus Maximus
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Wheatwacked
      Welcome hilly and Schellee94, and JulieF.      There is more to recovering from Celiac Disease than simply not eating wheat, barley, rye products. Ceilac malabsorption syndrome causes us to not absorb the nutrients we eat, so we imperceptively slip into malnutrition.   Children recover quickly.  Adults can take years because of unidentified vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  Top of the list is vitamin D, then Thiamine, then Choline, and Iodine. I, too, like Dr. Hyman.  Also Dr Davis (Wheatbelly) and Dr Amen.  While promoting gluten free, they are not dealing with the level of deficiencies brought on by the autoimmune malnutrition that comes with celiac disease.  You do not need a cleaning, Celiac has done that for you.  You do need agressive vitamin and mineral replenishment.  Those promoting cleanses do not take into account the malabsorption /malnutrition of celiac disease.   It will make you worse.  Your gut biome is changing and without the opiod effects of gluten you are not being numbed.  But you are not getting the vitamin and minerals you need to heal.  It is way higher than the mininmum RDA.  That is the amount it takes for 98% of the HEALTHY population to not show signs of deficiencies.  Good for food service meal plans to keep costs in check.  Healing takes more than sufficient. These are the vitamins and minerals I have taken.  At this point I daily take vitamin D, Iodine and thiamin.  Choline I bounce between phosphatidyl choline capsules and when my anorexia allows lots of eggs and beef. Try supplementing vitamin D, Choline, Thiamine and Iodine, while also ensuring vitamin B2,3, 5, and 12 intake.  Get your folate from food, not folic acid. Reducing homocysteine (cardiovascular inflammation) uses a DV of 500,000 micrograms of Choline, versus only 2.4 micrograms of B12,  400 micrograms of Folate and 1,700 micrograms of B6.  Avoid all processed food until you heal. Gluten Free included.  Eat the foods we ate before TV Dinners. Use sugar or fruit for sweetness, not High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Sugar breaks into glucose straight to the mitochodria to create ATP energy.  No glucose = no energy.  Everything else has to be processed by and overwhelmed malfunctioning digestive system of Celiac Disease.   Since 1970 in the US we have switched to HFCS, )even Schwepp's Ginger Ale), took idodine out of dough conditioner, adopted the modern wheat and limited eggs and meats.  In return, 50% of the US are obese vs. 17% in 1970. Additional likely deficiencies and what I take to boost my intake (I get anorexic at the drop of a hat so I take them to keep me stable):  the ones that helped me the most noticibly Was increasing vitamin D blood level to 80 ng/ml and Iodine to 650 mcg a day, Thiamine, Choline, and Iodine. 10,000 IU vitamin D to control autoimmune, improve mood, especially the winter doldrums (Seasonal Affective Disorder), bone and dental health.   Vitamin D Is Not as Toxic as Was Once Thought: A Historical and an Up-to-Date Perspective 500 mg Thiamine - neurologic symptoms, carbohydrate metabolism, subclinical beri-beri. Choline – Adequate intake 500 to 3000 mg - essential for fat digestion, gall bladder, liver, brain fog, cell membranes, prevent congenital spinal defects.   Could we be overlooking a potential choline crisis in the United Kingdom? Iodine – 1000 mcg of Liquid Iodine once or twice a day. United States RDA 150 to 1100 microgram (mcg) Japan RDA 150 to 3000 mcg. speeds up healing, muscle tone, brain fog, hair and skin, thyroid. 10 drops of Strong Iodine has 500 micrograms of elemental Iodine. Nori and Kelp. For some people with Dermetitis Herpetiformus, iodine can exasperate the rash. Iodine for Hormonal Health "Your ovaries also need iodine and without enough their structure changes. Iodine-deficient women can produce ovarian cysts and are at risk of developing PCOS." Vitamin B2 helps break down proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. It plays a vital role in maintaining the body's energy supply.  500 mg Nicotinic Acid - increase capillary blood flow, lower cholesterol.  Niacin Fact Sheet for Health Professionals 500 mg Pantothenic Acid - creates energy from glucose Krebs Cycle 1000 mcg B12 - creates hemoglobin for oxygen transport 500 mg Taurine - essential amino acid, a powerful antioxident that we make indogenously, but not enough when sickness increases inflammation. reduces Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS are are free radicals.). I've been using Zinc Glyconate (Cold-Eeze) since 2004 anytime I feel an itchy throat or other sign of air borne virus coming on.  I haven't had cold or flue, including Covid 19, since. Naturally fermented dill pickles reestablished lactobacillus in my gut and reversed my recently acquired lactose intolerance.  100% grass fed dairy is less inflammatory. Milk is a good source of iodine. Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids in Vegetables  Eating more of the vegetables low in omega six and high omega 3 can reduce inflammation while increasing vitamin and mineral intake..  The target omega 6:3 ratio is less than 3:1.  The typical western diet is from 14:1 to 20:1 because of our food choices.    
    • Julie F.
      I have dealt with celiac disease for over 22 years. I was then positively diagnosed with a blood test. I was pregnant with my second child at the time. I eliminated wheat (barley, spelt, etc..) from my diet and as a side benefit, I noticed that the psoriasis on my ankles, elbows and knees had gone away after about a year. I made the connection that eating wheat had been causing my skin problems as well as abdominal issues. Turns out that they are both autoimmune diseases of which inflammation is a symptom. I also deal with dupuytren’s contracture. Not sure if there is a relationship there… am studying that one. Flash forward to near present time and menopause, my psoriasis was coming back even though I was careful in avoiding gluten. I did a bit of research and found new information on the relationship of gut health and autoimmune disorders.  Understanding that my symptoms were somehow food related, I decided to see an ND… Nature Pathic doctor and we did a gut zoom.  This is where they test a sample of your poop to see how healthy your gut biome is.  I was seriously lacking in certain key vitamins, healthy prebiotic factors as well as beneficial bacteria.  I followed an elimination diet and discovered a new sensitivity to corn by-products which I am now avoiding and I follow a regime of supplements and healthy diet (eating a rainbow of vegetables and organic if possible) to help me have a healthier gut biome. The psoriasis is reducing in size and I am feeling better. I am thinking that a gut zoom would be one of the first places to start for anyone dealing with celiac disease… it took me twenty years to figure it out.  I personally believe that factors contributing to my autoimmune issues are due mostly to what I was exposed to. My parents were heavy smokers and I was continually on antibiotics as a child because of ear, nose and throat infections. Antibiotics destroy a healthy gut environment. There is also information indicating that herbicides with glyphosate… that most US farmers use at harvest time (wheat, corn, soy, potatoes…) can be detrimental to gut health as well.   Interestingly, we inherit our own gut health from our mother’s womb before we are even born.  Is this part of the source of our genetic disposition for celiac and possibly other inflammatory diseases? I think that increasingly, more research will be done as medical professionals are making connections to gut health and immunity diseases… reading medical research papers has been challenging, but very helpful. I suggest using credible medical research papers and professional and government agencies when studying up on this relationship, don’t just take my word for it, but I did find the results from my gut zoom to be an invaluable resource.
    • Schellee94
      I'm having the same issues. Many things are causing extreme bloat. I'm dairy-free gluten-free and I also have to avoid sugar, quinoa, millet, teff, buckwheat, nightshades, alfalfa, all grasses, and chia hurts my joints. Canned garbanzo hurts me. Most beans hurt me. If I make lentils I soak and rinse several times and that makes them edible for me. I seem to be avoiding fresh garlic and onion as well fresh onion gives me a headache. I'm ok on corn, but not most soy. Rice is sort of ok. Then gluten free oats are ok if raw (not cooked, overnight oats are a good choice) . The list keeps growing and so does the bloat. I'm the same weight I was 2 years ago and much bigger in my arms and my belly and back. I'm looking at trying Dr Hyman's cleanse suggestions, and having a good amount of steamed cruciferous vegetables, as a mainstay for awhile. But it's pretty pricey for organic. I've been making my own bone broth but I cook it a lot longer so that I can get nutrients out of the bones not just the meat. This broth has helped me tremendously even though I would prefer not to have much meat it seems I really need it right now. I cannot eat pork it makes me feel poorly and I can't eat very much red meat for the same reason. If the eggs are raised properly I can eat the yolks and only sometimes eat the whites.  I hope this is helpful to highlight some triggers you might be experiencing yourself. There are some other posts here on the forum that highlight digestive enzymes and clean probiotics, as well as lectins. I'm going to look into that.
    • trents
      Some studies, with admittedly small sample sizes, show that about 50% of celiacs react to the protein casein in dairy the same way they do gluten. Can't find the NIH article I'm looking for but this one basically makes the point:   
    • hilly
      I was diagnosed in April. I have been very careful about being gluten-free, except for one accident in August where I ate candy with wheat. Despite being careful, I still experience extreme painful bloating almost daily. I'm so frustrated. I stopped eating gluten-free oats because I wondered if that was it. Now I am wondering if is dairy. I'm already tired of constantly wondering if I messed up.