This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Which gluten free Alcoholic drinks do you guys use?

mystic

mystic Enthusiast

Guys, usually on a Saturday afternoon I will have a few beers while cooking for the kids and listening to music, that's my relaxation time. However due to Psoriasis I had to go gluten free and also watch the alcohol content so I have been trying to find something to replace the Coors light and Heineken light. People with Psoriasis have told me different things,  one said "it's not the ingredients in the drinks but the alcohol that's the issue" which I don't understand because gluten in drinks is the same as eating it I would think?

So in seeking a replacement for both gluten and too much alcohol content, I had narrowed down to Sake Tyku [Japanese rice wine] which is gluten free but still around 15% alcohol so I am seeking something with lower alcohol and my online info is showing this Smirnoff as being gluten-free and under 5% alcohol, can anyone confirm if this is correct please?

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
35 minutes ago, mystic said:

Guys, usually on a Saturday afternoon I will have a few beers while cooking for the kids and listening to music, that's my relaxation time. However due to Psoriasis I had to go gluten free and also watch the alcohol content so I have been trying to find something to replace the Coors light and Heineken light. People with Psoriasis have told me different things,  one said "it's not the ingredients in the drinks but the alcohol that's the issue" which I don't understand because gluten in drinks is the same as eating it I would think?

So in seeking a replacement for both gluten and too much alcohol content, I had narrowed down to Sake Tyku [Japanese rice wine] which is gluten free but still around 15% alcohol so I am seeking something with lower alcohol and my online info is showing this Smirnoff as being gluten-free and under 5% alcohol, can anyone confirm if this is correct please?

Those  may or may not be gluten-free. Celiacs need to be careful with " crafted to remove alcohol ".  There are other sparking seltzers, like Truely, that never had gluten in the first place. 

White claw is another

and this one

so many gluten-free choices, why take  chance?

Edited by kareng
ravenwoodglass Mentor

Went to the link and saw this

" All flavors have zero sugar, 1 gram of carbs, 90 calories and are crafted to remove gluten."

I avoid anything with the line I bolded.

In summer on the rare times I drink I like a good potao vodka with lemonaide or cranberry juice, clear rum and coke, or a crisp Woodchuck cider.  Kahlua and milk or in hot chocolate is nice when it's cold outside.

kareng Grand Master

Of course there are various ciders, too.  You might have to try a few to see what you like.  They range from extra sweet apple juice to very dry and not very sweet

mystic Enthusiast

Thx, while I look into your links, these ingredients in Heinken 0.0 should be out too right?

water, barley, malt, hop extract.

kareng Grand Master
Just now, mystic said:

Thx, while I look into your links, these ingredients in Heinken 0.0 should be out too right?

water, barley, malt, hop extract.

For a person with Celiac , yes, of course.  We can not have barley.  But you don't have Celiac, so some of these beers, with a tiny residual of gluten,  might be OK.  

mystic Enthusiast

I am seeing Smirnoff Ice [Made in Canada version only] as being gluten-free and 5% alcohol so that might be a good option also certain Bartles and Jaymes wines coolers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Pretty sure Smirnoff is off too...they say gluten free here in some cases but use barely again......and testing as far as it goes and accuracy issues have shone in some cases to contain gluten.

Personally I would suggest something like Ace Hard Ciders, or Austin Ciders, I cook and use Rum often (tiny bit in baked goods or in a stir fry works wonders, recently found it can make super fluffy pancakes with a tiny bit) and you can use like 1/2 to 1 shot in a coke etc and manager your alcohol content by how much you pour in.

mystic Enthusiast

I have never liked ciders and wine make me feel drugged but maybe I can try the Bartles and Jaymes wine based coolers?

kareng Grand Master
7 minutes ago, mystic said:

I have never liked ciders and wine make me feel drugged but maybe I can try the Bartles and Jaymes wine based coolers?

Do they still makes those things?

But seriously.... those were barley malt beverages.   If you are going to drink these malt beverages, why not just drink your light beers that are too cheap to use much barley malt in them?  

I am only answering, because I hate for someone who really needs to be strictly gluten-free to see incorrect info.   You can certainly drink what you want.

edit to add -  Smirnoff ice is also a malt beverage.  Once again, there is some problems with the gluten breaking down processes and the testing.  Probably not gluten-free enough or consistently for a Celiac. For those trying gluten-free for other reasons, like you, it might be fine.

Edited by kareng
mystic Enthusiast

Well my research on the bartles and Jaymes wine based coolers is showing no barley which is why I am looking into it as one option. If I could have gotten the Canadian version of Smirnoff Ice which is showing as gluten-free then I would have tried that. I am trying to avoid any gluten at all so the beers mentioned would not be the best option so maybe best I try wine with low alcohol content 

• Moscato d’Asti 5.5% ABV (lightly sparkling sweet white from Italy)

5%] like from this list:

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you really want to know if a gluten free diet is going to help your psoriasis, then you need to avoid gluten as if you had celiac disease.  Actually, you may consider the AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet (which has gluten free components).  It does not allow alcohol.  Might be worth trying it for six weeks.  This small study showed that Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis patients had a documented 77% remission. That is pretty fabulous! 

kareng Grand Master
5 hours ago, mystic said:

Well my research on the bartles and Jaymes wine based coolers is showing no barley which is why I am looking into it as one option. If I could have gotten the Canadian version of Smirnoff Ice which is showing as gluten-free then I would have tried that. I am trying to avoid any gluten at all so the beers mentioned would not be the best option so maybe best I try wine with low alcohol content 

• Moscato d’Asti 5.5% ABV (lightly sparkling sweet white from Italy)

5%] like from this list:

Bartles and James still says "malt" beverage on their website.

mystic Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm going to try the Moscato Asti, I don't drink a lot and just want to be consistent with my gluten-free diet in everything I consume.

kareng Grand Master
3 minutes ago, mystic said:

Yeah, I'm going to try the Moscato Asti, I don't drink a lot and just want to be consistent with my gluten-free diet in everything I consume.

That's very sweet.  You really might like the seltzers if you are drinking several over an afternoon.

mystic Enthusiast

Sorry i missed looking into the seltzers you've linked to but yes, they certainly look like something that will work for me. I say this because that is how I had been drinking the Sake, just a tiny sprinkle in a glass  filled with seltzer water which taste great. Only reason I am seeking to switch from the Sake is because it's 15% alcohol so at only % this should work, thanks will look into it and report back!

gluten-free Bri Newbie

Corona has 20PPM of gluten which technically makes it gluten free, if your into beer

Scott Adams Grand Master

Keep in mind that current testing for gluten does have issues with measuring gluten in hydrolyzed liquids like beer. You might find the attached article interesting.

Gluten_free_Barley_beers.pdf

mystic Enthusiast
On 1/31/2018 at 8:34 AM, kareng said:

Those  may or may not be gluten-free. Celiacs need to be careful with " crafted to remove alcohol ".  There are other sparking seltzers, like Truely, that never had gluten in the first place. 

White claw is another

and this one

so many gluten-free choices, why take  chance?

Thanks for these options. I tried the White Claw on Saturday evening, it tasted great nut I don;t know if it was because I had had a very hectic day and was tired that those 2 bevs gave me a good buzz, more than 2 beers normally would! I was quite surprised because it's only 5% alcohol. I will try again this Saturday and report back.

Its' expensive though at $12 per 6 pack but if the strength will not be an issue I can work with it otherwise would need to find something will lower alcohol level.

Looking into Corona, I found an interesting article below. Now the objective for me should be as KarenG said "why take any chances" but I am thinking if I need to have a few beers then Corona should be a better option than say Coors light?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
48 minutes ago, mystic said:

Looking into Corona, I found an interesting article below. Now the objective for me should be as KarenG said "why take any chances" but I am thinking if I need to have a few beers then Corona should be a better option than say Coors light?

STILL contains gluten...better then coors....yeah would be lower content but for celiacs your still poisoning yourself......FFS just drink antifreeze it's faster and to the end the same effect....forgive the bluntness but I have to put it in to perspective....Celiac Disease - Gluten=Poison.....to that extent antifreeze is a good example, sweet tasting supposedly goes down well and kills you.....

kareng Grand Master
19 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

STILL contains gluten...better then coors....yeah would be lower content but for celiacs your still poisoning yourself......FFS just drink antifreeze it's faster and to the end the same effect....forgive the bluntness but I have to put it in to perspective....Celiac Disease - Gluten=Poison.....to that extent antifreeze is a good example, sweet tasting supposedly goes down well and kills you.....

I don't think this person has Celiac.  They are gluten-free for other reasons, so a little gluten may be fine.  

mystic Enthusiast

Yes, I don;t know if I have celiac but I do know that since going gluten-free, my Psoriasis has been slowly showing some improvements

• 3 months later...
grannysue Newbie

I haven't bee tested, don't have insurance. But I think I'm more gluten intolerant than Celiac. I can eat stuff made with unbleached flour without having any issues. But I had to stop drinking all wine, it really bothers me and I assume it's because they use wheat paste to seal the barrels, even ones that say they don't, like Barefoot really bother me. So I bought Smirnoff vanilla vodka, the guy at the liquor store claimed ALL vodka was gluten free. Smirnoff's regular vodka does say on the label it's gluten free, however the flavored ones don't say that. Well 2 days later, I'm having issues and all I can narrow it down to is that since everything I ate breadwise was with unbleached flour which I never have an issue with. Does anyone know if the Smirnoff vanilla vodka has gluten in it? I can't think of anything else I ate that would of had gluten. Normally if something has a very small amount, like gravy, which has gluten in the thickening agent, doesn't bother me much. And if we make our own we use unbleached flour. So I'm leaning towards the Smirnoff vanilla vodka as being the culprit. I enjoy a drink now and then and love wine, but I can't drink it now so I would like to find something that I can drink without feeling so awful a day or two later.

grannysue Newbie

Also wondering about the orange juice I used with it. I did read that Tropicana pure premium orange juice was 100% gluten free, though it doesn't say that on the bottle. Other sites said it is and some said it's not gluten free.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, grannysue said:

I haven't bee tested, don't have insurance. But I think I'm more gluten intolerant than Celiac. I can eat stuff made with unbleached flour without having any issues. But I had to stop drinking all wine, it really bothers me and I assume it's because they use wheat paste to seal the barrels, even ones that say they don't, like Barefoot really bother me. So I bought Smirnoff vanilla vodka, the guy at the liquor store claimed ALL vodka was gluten free. Smirnoff's regular vodka does say on the label it's gluten free, however the flavored ones don't say that. Well 2 days later, I'm having issues and all I can narrow it down to is that since everything I ate breadwise was with unbleached flour which I never have an issue with. Does anyone know if the Smirnoff vanilla vodka has gluten in it? I can't think of anything else I ate that would of had gluten. Normally if something has a very small amount, like gravy, which has gluten in the thickening agent, doesn't bother me much. And if we make our own we use unbleached flour. So I'm leaning towards the Smirnoff vanilla vodka as being the culprit. I enjoy a drink now and then and love wine, but I can't drink it now so I would like to find something that I can drink without feeling so awful a day or two later.

This wheat paste stuff is just a myth . The wines you like aren’t even made in barrels.  The very few expensive ones that might use a flour paste do not get it into the wine.  That would mess up the wine!