This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tangerine Tea and Soy sauce

CeliacDaniel

CeliacDaniel Rookie

So, the NIH has put out a research paper on the involvement of Liver in Celiac Disease, you can see it here Open Original Shared Link those with Celiac could be subject to “celiac hepatitis”, one reassuring finding with the NIH is that liver architecture is usually abnormal in celiac hepatitis, but generally the changes are mild and/or nonspecific. 

As far as I know I have a sensativity to gluten and soy, meaning I cannot have soy or gluten (which is the protein found in wheat). But sometimes I like to eat out and if I am not careful I can get a case of gluten or wheat or soy attack, heart rate spikes, so does blood pressure and I get loose stools, and even constipation, usually lidocaine will settle my tummy.

However, there is I believe some truth to avoiding soy. I have been myself avoiding soy, but I believe that protecting your liver (the filter in your body is vital).

So this lady near where I live grows tangerine's, and she gave me one. I did some research on tangerines and found a whole host of benefits to them. But, more so, the peel, which can be used to combat cancer, cholesterol, blood sugar, good liver detox, and is wonderful for indigestion as it has antioxidents. However, I'm sure there is other research to indicate that there could be a side effect of too much consumption of tangerines. 

I have decided myself to start drinking tangerine tea, I took the tangerine that I ate and let the peel air dry, then I sliced up the tangerine and put in a coffee filter, and wrapped it in hemp string and made a tea out of it. I have a blood test coming up in a month, so we will see if there is any benefit concerning the liver with tangerine tea.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star

That is really interesting.  I saw a holistic dr many years ago (before being diagnosed with gluten sensitivity) because I have been sick my entire adult life since coming down with very bad, and lengthy lasting epstein barr virus.  This dr had me drinking an herbal tea she sold for liver health.  It was very bitter.  I wish I could get it again now and try it.  I should look to see if any stores around here sell organic tangerines and try making the tea like you did.  I do have a tangerine tea by the tea company, Yogi, but I am not sure how much actual real tangerine and peel it has in it. It mentions in the ingredients it has natural orange and tangerine flavor, which makes you wonder is it actual orange and tangerine?   And it says it contains organic orange peel oil.  Have you tried looking for any herbal teas made for liver health?  I wish that holistic dr still was in town. 

Open Original Shared Link

FYI - to anyone who enjoys herbal teas, all Yogi teas are now gluten-free, but read their statement  below before buying any:

Do Yogi teas contain gluten?

We are happy to confirm that all of our current teas are gluten-free, and our tea bag material and packaging contain no added gluten.

However, please note that up until very recently, the following four teas contained Barley Malt, and therefore gluten:

The new versions of these teas without Barley Malt are beginning to reach store shelves as of late 2017. It is therefore likely that previous versions containing Barley Malt will be in stores for the next few months until the older inventory runs out. You can identify which version you have by looking at the Supplement Facts panel ‘Other Ingredients’ section to see if Barley Malt is listed.

LilyR Rising Star

forgot to mention, I have been having trouble with high blood pressure and my pulse rate being high lately too, despite being on blood pressure meds.  I was wondering if food sensitivities could possibly be causing it, so thanks for sharing that you experience that too.  I am thinking I might have an issue with soy also.  I am still having stomach problems, although not as severe, since stopping all gluten. But my vitamin supplements have soy in them, and once in a while I have an item from the store that has soy also.  I might be having food allergy testing done soon and I heard to not stop taking any specific foods before you get tested, but I will probably be off soy soon.  Corn products probably too. I am wondering if my blood pressure and pulse rate will get better once I am off that. Also, have you had your iron level checked?  My dr just called my today and said mine was low, so I have to start taking supplements again.  And I saw online that low iron can cause rapid heart beat. My breathing has been uncomfortable lately too, and I was blaming it on a chest cold but that is improving but my chest and breathing still isn't.  It's funny how much low iron can cause when dr/s usually only will say it can cause you to be "a little tired."  I read a list of other symptoms of low iron though, such as the rapid heart beat, trouble sleeping, even anxiety and depression with low iron, not to mention the fatigue. 

Let us know how you feel if you continue drinking the tangerine tea.  Would eating the tangerines also be beneficial? 

Archived