This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

symptoms with coffee

chrisgf

chrisgf Apprentice

hello.  its been a while since i posted, so i hope someone doesn't mind helping me.  i was diagnosed with celiac over 4 years ago.  i realized the past few times i had to take prednisone i barely got any symptoms and rashes.  however, the past two weeks i get very sick from coffee.  i can do a half of a cup, but more than that i am sick all day into the next with stomach pain.  is the coffee affecting my stomach like gluten and dairy by making it sick?  any help would be appreciated.

~christy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
18 minutes ago, chrisgf said:

hello.  its been a while since i posted, so i hope someone doesn't mind helping me.  i was diagnosed with celiac over 4 years ago.  i realized the past few times i had to take prednisone i barely got any symptoms and rashes.  however, the past two weeks i get very sick from coffee.  i can do a half of a cup, but more than that i am sick all day into the next with stomach pain.  is the coffee affecting my stomach like gluten and dairy by making it sick?  any help would be appreciated.

~christy

Coffee has a lot of acid in it.  Could you be are having stomach issues with that?  

Coffee does not cause you to make Celiac antibodies that attack the intestines.  

chrisgf Apprentice

Thanks for getting back to me.  Well I stopped coffee and my stomach issues stopped...kinda stinks tho.  I was concerned about it attacking intestines...glad i know!  I am going through some forums because I still have some mild issues...but much better than years ago. :)

kareng Grand Master
15 minutes ago, chrisgf said:

Thanks for getting back to me.  Well I stopped coffee and my stomach issues stopped...kinda stinks tho.  I was concerned about it attacking intestines...glad i know!  I am going through some forums because I still have some mild issues...but much better than years ago. :)

For me, I found that the effect of the coffee acid on my stomach kind of comes and goes.  I might have a few days it just hurts!  I use come creamer in it and that helps.  I can do dairy, but I really like the So Delicious vanilla creamer.  Maybe go a week or two and then try with creamer?  Or mix it with chocolate almond milk?

chrisgf Apprentice

my hubby said that the acid is probably the culprit.  I like the the silk dairy free creamer,,,but i am going to stay away from coffee and see what happens.  i don't like being in these DF and gluten-free diets...but i have no choice. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yeah we had a huge debate while back about the safety of coffee, most are safe, only exception is coffee from bulk bins in stores like whole foods or flavored artisan blends sometimes come into contact with contaminated scoops, ingredients, or in the VERY rare case they might use barley malt or roasted barley in a few flavor options. Name brands are normally safe, I contact a whole list of companies and did find that many companies that do "Specialty" flavored coffee do have gluten contamination issues NOTE these are smaller special order ones.  I also found one that is gluten free and the main rep has gluten issues and celiac in her family. If you want to try again Christopher Bean Coffee has some wonderful dessert flavored coffee that I get often.

Then again it could be as kareng says and just a acid issue and it irritating your damaged gut and intestine. But do not fret you should be able to have some once it heals. Decaffinated for now might be easier on your stomach and there is the brewed cocoa alternative from Crio Bru.

cyclinglady Grand Master

My grandmother always told me never to have tea or coffee on an empty stomach.  She said a few crackers, toast or cookies served with tea helped to avoid an “bilious” stomach.  She was a nurse.  Sometimes old advice still holds true.  ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrisgf Apprentice

thank you guys for the information.  i have heard that coffee can never be 100% gluten-free...but i think more and more that it may be acid.  

thanks for all your help

Celiac comments Newbie

A lot of celiac sufferers have restless legs. Coffee and especially diet soda greatly worsen my RLS. 

Archived