This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling sick after eating

seerwatch77

seerwatch77 Apprentice

Hello all! I was diagnosed with celiac and went gluten free two months ago. I'm feeling a little better (no brain fog for finals! Hurrah!), but I'm feeling sick after eating pretty much everytime. My doctor said its related to celiac and I'll just have to tough it out for the next few months, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about stuff to do to help reduce this. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I assume you read the newbie 101 thread? You have to decon a the kitchen a bit with appliances and cook ware, and get new condiments jars, etc.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121148-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q2/
There is a learning curve, few tips, eat whole foods only first few months, remove dairy, soy and oats. Cook everything so it is super soft to ease digestion. Soups, stews, omelettes, roast, crock pot meals, simple baked meats and steamed veggies. I suggest bland really as some spices can cause issues. Keep a food diary and ROTATE your foods, eat only 2-5 ingredients in a day, and rotate them. This way you can keep track of what foods cause you to feel sick or fatigued and which ones you can tolerate for now. Build your diet on this, many of us end up with food intolerance issues and sensitivities that prevent us from eating certain foods for while. Some go away as we heal.
Open Original Shared Link

ch88 Collaborator

Hi, I am glad you are feel better on the gluten free diet. 

Two months is a really long time for the digestive problems to go away. A lot of people with celiac disease recover quickly (maybe a week or two) on a gluten free diet. Other medical problems could slow down the healing process. 

Some people make a food journal and rotate foods to see if there are certain foods that they don't digest well.  Some people don't digest dairy very well, do best if they avoid high fat foods/sugar, or avoid consuming too much fructose. 

I take a little bit of gluten free glutamine powder daily. It is available in walmart along with other protein powders.  Glutamine is the primary food of the cells that line the gut.  There is evidence that it may help with repairing stomach after an h-pylori infection. 

A whole foods, grain free diet has helped some people with celiac disease.  It might be worth a shot. Dairy and rice were allowed in this diet, but they can be problematic for some people. 

seerwatch77 Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll try to keep a food diary and eat only a few things each day. I have a little bit of dairy from butter and may have some soy from the few cookies/chips I eat, so I'll see if cutting those out makes me feel better. I have read the newbie 101 thread and I mostly eat whole foods. I was tested for h-pylori a few months ago and it came back negative.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome!  

Two months into the gluten free diet is a really short time.  There is a huge learning curve to the diet and that can slow down healing (getting accidental gluten exposure due to mistakes).  Most celiacs here can take up to a year to heal depending on the collateral damage.  

Eating almost anything can hurt to digest when you are first starting.  Best to eat foods in whole form.  Avoid processed foods and eating out until you are well.  Foods like stews and soups are good when your celiac disease is active.  Leaky gut is common with celiacs due to Zonulin.  Watch this video about it.  Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac expert out of Boston, give it:

Leaky gut may also contribute to food intolerances that may or may not resolve once you have healed.  For example, I was lactose intolerant, but no longer.  I still have issues with garlic and onions.  

Stay the course and your gut will heal.  I just had an endoscopy after five years on the diet and I have healed!  So, it is possible!  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NancyRamos
    Newest Member
    NancyRamos
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• jeema
      @Bindi the reason I asked about the antibody levels is because if they remain elevated after going on a gluten free diet then I think that typically indicates that there's still ongoing accidental gluten consumption.  Do you know what the trend in your levels have been since you started the diet?
    • Dora77
      I am an asymptomatic celiac, so even if I eat gluten I feel no pain.    But since 6 months I have stools which are very similar to malabsorption stools. Which could mean my small intestine is damaged which would lead to my body not being able to absorb nutrients.  I live in a gluten household but we look out for not like dipping gluten bread in butter etc. My mom doesnt make gluten food. But they sometimes make gluten noodle. And bread out of gluten flour. Mostly they buy premade gluten bread. But sometimes they also make it out of gluten flour, is this safe? Or should they completely avoid it? Because I know gluten flour is fine and can get everywhere. So what would be the right approach? Never making bread with gluten flour and cleaning the kitchen table to make sure there are no leftover gluten? Also can I drink from someone others water bottle if he ate gluten like bread prior?   I don’t know what is causing my stools, maybe pancreas enzyme deficit. The only thing which could gluten me are: what I said like gluten flour in our house (although we do it rare like 1 time in 2 months). I can tell my mom that she should completely avoid making bread of gluten flour. I guess for them to consume premade gluten bread would be fine? Drinking from friends water bottle And although I watch out for articles which state may contain gluten, a lot of spices like pepper have tons of stuff behind them like may contain peanuts or may contain gluten and I eat those peppers. i live in germany and some times there are no gluten ingredients and no may contains but also no glutenfree label like in chips. Is this safe? Is going near a bakery in for example a supermarket safe? Because of floating gluten in air. I also dont eat out. Also I guess all these stuff that I told you which could gluten me would be very small gluten. Do you think it will still damage my inner organs or make me unable to absorb nutrients? Even if I am asymptomatic? Its really hard to know for me because I don’t have any symptoms. My blood results always come fine I think, but I never did a endoscopy. And I heard blood results are unreliable. The only thing I really worry about is that I don’t want to be unable to absorb nutrients. I don’t have sever stomach pain or similar symptoms. I have celiac since I am 14 and am currently 17,5.  Would small cross contamination events that occur like 10 times in a month (like drinking from friends bottle, being near gluten airborne flour, etc) cause me to be unable in absorbing nutrients? I also don’t even know how my blood results are but there isn’t anything that explains my stools beside epi or celiac. Also could it still be that my body can absorb nutrients and function normally even though I have floating undigested stools since 6 months and they are permanent never once had normal stools since 6 months. I also take vitamins and can finally fall asleep under 1 hour since taking vitamin d, etc. but I am scared that my body cant absorb vitamins, protein fully.
    • Dsmiffy
      Hi , yes exactly this issue last week after I had been drinking Peroni gluten-free. I usually have one here and there but had a few on a night out - been rough all week and stomach and bowel not good. Same with the cough and also awful skin this week too
    • trents
      Welcome to this online community and to the celiac nation, @Aussie Celiac! Let us know if we can help you with anything as you start the journey. By the way, we have forum participants who weren't diagnosed until they were in their 80s. It is often the case that the actual onset of the condition precedes the official diagnosis by many years, especially when symptoms are minimal. I was 50-51 when I was diagnosed but looking back I had laboratory evidence of the onset preceding the diagnosis by 13 years. It probably took years for your celiac nutrient malabsorption to deplete your iron stores such that nothing was left in the bank and your actual hemoglobin levels began to drop.
    • Aussie Celiac
      Well at the ripe old age of 55 I'm newly diagnosed as Celiac. What a surprise.  I was low in iron and this was the only symptom. Well I did get heartburn after eating bread but according to all sources this isn't officially a symptom! Better late than never lol.