This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten reaction from vaping

Pigletscarf

Pigletscarf Newbie

Hi all,

It's been 14 years since I was diagnosed as a celiac. I have strictly followed the gluten free diet since then. I've also smoked on and off, and have tried several times to switch to electronic cigarettes (vaping). I have been unsuccessful though, as every time I try it I get an INSTANT reaction that is identical to being glutened.

I've done my research and can't find any information or accounts of celiacs being glutened by vaping. There are three main ingredients in the vape juice - propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG) and 'flavoring'. PG and VG are apparently naturally gluten free, so flavoring is where you'd expect the issue to lie. But I've tried plain PG only and plain VG only (also with no nicotine) and I get the same gluten reaction every time.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Pigletscarf said:

Hi all,

It's been 14 years since I was diagnosed as a celiac. I have strictly followed the gluten free diet since then. I've also smoked on and off, and have tried several times to switch to electronic cigarettes (vaping). I have been unsuccessful though, as every time I try it I get an INSTANT reaction that is identical to being glutened.

I've done my research and can't find any information or accounts of celiacs being glutened by vaping. There are three main ingredients in the vape juice - propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG) and 'flavoring'. PG and VG are apparently naturally gluten free, so flavoring is where you'd expect the issue to lie. But I've tried plain PG only and plain VG only (also with no nicotine) and I get the same gluten reaction every time.

I have heard of someone else having it, but I never have. I have gotten reactions from some cigars before back before I quit smoking. I still use a CBD oil vape pen and found I can use some of the same capella flavors I use in baking and food in the pan lately. No issue from them and my own blends.
There had been I case I recall from someone getting gluten like reactions from propylene glycol...not gluten or actual antibody reactions but similar feelings. If you wish to eliminate that route try some miralax as it is the same thing, if a tsp of it in a drink gives your the same symptoms then it can be a reaction to that which is not unheard of causing issues...but not gluten related.

• 2 months later...
Louiseceliac Newbie

Hello ive just had blood test and waiting for biopsy in a weeks time. I too am wondering about vaping juices as im wondering if thats why it feels so extreme. Ive asked the local business i get my ecig juices from and they said they couldnt confirm its gluten free as they get theyre flavours worldwide. So im googling gluten free vape juice just to be on safe side. As it is not a reliable source of something we are ingesting id rather know its 100% gluten free. My bodies suffering. 

• 2 months later...
Coconutkris Newbie

omg this happened to me last night! I got the most intense glutening symptoms I've had in years and could not figure out the cause as I hadn't eaten anything questionable. But last night I tried my friend's cbd vape pen which was something I never had before. It was flavored. I'm thinking that was what caused it!

• 1 year later...
stonecoldtruth Newbie
On 5/8/2018 at 6:59 AM, Pigletscarf said:

Hi all,

I myself have never had any type of allergies and was a smoker till about 3 years ago when I switched to vaping. Since that time however I have been suffering from something we had no idea was. I began breaking out in blister type legions mainly upon my head very painful burning and sometimes itchy. It has been awful spent three years trying to figure out the cause seeing doctor after doctor. Finally researching on my own brought me to celiac and I began gluten free diet no help. Now I am finding people vaping having the same reaction as I am so to answer your question yes it looks like I have the same reaction and now know what might be causing my illness finally after 3 years thank the father above I have literally broke down in tears!!! 

• 3 months later...
Stephen Moore Newbie

Yes I'm the same as you I'm celiac and I'm really careful of what I eat etc.I fought I would give up smoking tried the vape pod using gluten free nicotine oil and I've had really bad headaches etc.and I can't think of what else it could be apart from the vape juice( best dammed tobacco) which says it gluten free.also I get bad headaches basically just using vape juice tobacco flavour... Stevie in Glasgow 

• 8 months later...
Kali404 Newbie

I am Celiac for about a decade, done alot of research on this. Comes down to carrier oils and additives. Biggest offender: Vitamin E extract, used as an additive, but is often contaminated by gluten. The biggest thing is to look for vape brands that promise no filler or additives, and will be able to tell you about their process in detail. A flavorless vape does not guarantee other additives haven't been used to make the vape smoother or last longer. I hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
jtalbot1021 Rookie
On 5/8/2018 at 4:59 AM, Pigletscarf said:

Hi all,

This absolutely answered a million questions. Omgoodness. 😘 😞

• 1 month later...
Stacijean Newbie
On 5/8/2018 at 5:59 AM, Pigletscarf said:

Hi all,

Yes I have problems with vaping but unsure why. I had to give it up due to it was making me very sick, and I have Celiac's disease as well

• 2 months later...
korbi Newbie

I get a reaction like this every time I vape. It feels just like being glutened and maybe even worse.

Wheatwacked Veteran
Scott Adams Grand Master
7 hours ago, korbi said:

I get a reaction like this every time I vape. It feels just like being glutened and maybe even worse.

It's doubtful there would be any gluten contained in vape cartridges, whether they are marijuana or tobacco, but have you tried different brands just to see if this still happens? Also, perhaps it's time to just switch to the real thing, or try gluten-free eatables? 

• 8 months later...
Thereishope Newbie

Ohmagoodness, I'm so grateful for both the original question and all the amazingly thoughtful answers (I'm just so over the gas lighting games I've been putting up with I my fb groups lately😕). Quite recently, I caved and bought myself a disposable thc before pen, only to discover the next morning, that my face had begun to breakout in teeny blisters. In these last 5 1/2 years since my diagnosis, I've learned that those annoying little buggers are the telltale signal my body uses to alert me that I've been glutened. To test my theory that it was the pen, I've continued using it on occasion (when needed for my chronic pain), and yep, lol, I breakout each time. So  far, it appears to be a mild contamination as I've not really experienced any other reactions to date. 

*it might be more helpful, to know that I'm one of the "lucky"🙄 celiacs cursed with  hypersensitivity and continuous symptoms (ie:still plagued with anemia) DESPITE EXTREME carefulness in and out of the home, only buying certified gluten-free foods... so the plus side of that is that I've become quite adept at both assessing the severity of, and tracking down the gluten-containing culprit that caused the threat to my wellbeing.

Oh well, I'll have to make doubly sure next time that I'm not going to be affected ... or just say bye-bye to the incredible convenience of the vape pen lol.

plumbago Experienced
4 hours ago, Thereishope said:

Oh well, I'll have to make doubly sure next time that I'm not going to be affected ... or just say bye-bye to the incredible convenience of the vape pen lol.

There may be a lot of contaminants and chemicals in the mixture that they use. I would be very careful.

Mathew Contributor
On 5/8/2018 at 3:59 AM, Pigletscarf said:

Hi all,

Does anyone else have 

On 3/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, Stacijean said:

Yes I have problems with vaping but unsure why. I had to give it up due to it was making me very sick, and I have Celiac's disease as well

Are we talking about THC vapes. Im  celic and get glutened about 3 times a year. Always from CC. I wondered about Cannabis Hypermesis Syndrome. Im fit and healthy but sweat like mad every night.  No longer toking in case its adding to my symptoms. 

Wheatwacked Veteran

Vitamin E is produced from a number of sources. Mostly it is generated from refining wheat germ oil. Other sources are found such as soybeans.

Vaping and Vitamin E: What Went Wrong?  After much investigation, it was discovered that vitamin E was added to e-cigarette vaping formulations to help preserve lung function. But it backfired. Instead, vitamin E caused lung damage. 

You could be reacting to the soy or wheat in the vitamin E. Also many of the Cancer societies recomment against smokers using synthetic vitamin E because it increases the risk of prostate cancer significantly.

The recently finished follow-up of the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) even showed higher prostate cancer incidence in subjects who took α-tocopherol supplementation.   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3502042/

Scott Adams Grand Master

Just FYI, at least in California, legally bought vape cartridges cannot contain vitamin E or anything toxic, and they are regularly tested by the state.

• 4 months later...
Adenn Newbie

This happens to me, also. VG is soybean derived. Soybeans are grown in the same field as wheat in the off-season, and transported with wheat so there's crosscontamination that's happening.

Scott Adams Grand Master

It's definitely possible that small amounts of contamination could happen to soy beans, but after processing them into oil it's doubtful that the oil would test positive for any gluten. I don't think gluten in vape is anything that celiacs need to worry about, but just like anything else, buying higher quality products from reputable companies should offer more protection.