This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Texas Roadhouse gluten-free options

Eme

Eme Newbie

Hi,

My sister will be visiting me soon and I'd love to bring her to Texas Roadhouse (our family favorite restaurant).  I'm not sure how good they are though from a gluten free perspective.  Their website lists some options but has a caveat to speak with a DR first.  I'd appreciate any tips on what she can eat there. 

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, Eme said:

Hi,

My sister will be visiting me soon and I'd love to bring her to Texas Roadhouse (our family favorite restaurant).  I'm not sure how good they are though from a gluten free perspective.  Their website lists some options but has a caveat to speak with a DR first.  I'd appreciate any tips on what she can eat there. 

thanks!

When ever a cealic eats at a place that handles gluten in the kitchen it is like playing Russian roulette, chains vary from store to store and depend on staff training, management, and kitchen. You have to call the one your going to and ask about dedicated cookware/area for gluten free and if they feel comfortable they can serve someone who has celiac and has to be medically gluten free. Also when you order talk to your waitress, make SURE they know it HAS to be gluten free, perhaps even the manager. 
If you can get it some GlidenX, and take it before hand and it will limit the damage, and reduce the symptoms in case of CC....does not make us gluten proof but is one hell of a damage control.

When I go to a non dedicated gluten-free place for a meet up, I call ahead and bring my own food. To many bad things in the past for me to risk it. I only have 2 places in town I trust to at least do roasted veggies or fish right due to how they fix them. 4 other 100% gluten free restaurants I have been to trust.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Let  her choose.  Best to check with local celiac groups or the app, “Find Me Gluten Free”.  Let her read those reviews written by celiacs.  If she is visiting, the goal is to have fun and keep her safe.  Be supportive if she just wants to eat at home where she can watch the food preparation.  

My Texas Roadhouse days are over.  I would not eat there for even if was FREE.  I would order a glass of drink and then try to avoid all the gluten from those buttery rolls that must be smeared everywhere along with those peanuts tossed on the floor.  

Did you know that as a first-degree relative, you should be tested for celiac disease, even if you are symptom free?  

Eme Newbie

Thank you for responding, I appreciate that you have taken the time to help me out.  Rest assured my sister is very involved in all of this - am researching all I can to ensure she has a great time here and eating out is just a part of that but I am sharing all info with her (probably driving her crazy with Q's and suggestions).  I've been frequenting the gluten free sections of my local grocery stores as part of my preparation to find food that she will love and we are looking forward to experimenting (choices here will be very different from where she lives) and found my way to this site to read up on substitutes, good recipes etc.

Again - thank you!  

Audrey’s Mom Rookie

My daughter was diagnosed last August.  Some things I do when we are dining out are that I pack a few essentials depending on where we are going.  If we were going to Texas Roadhouse, I’d pack her a couple Udi’s dinner rolls and some butter.  If also pack her a baggie of her gluten free croutons so she could order her favorite Caesar salad.  She would likely order steak a baked potato and some broccoli.  If we were dining at our favorite local Chinese place that has a nice selection of gluten free dishes, I’d be sure to pack her gluten free soy sauce.  Once while dining there at our favorite Chinese place, we brought my brother who has Celiacs and is ultra sensitive to cross contamination.  The chef offered to make additional dishes gluten free by using our bottle of soy sauce.  He made fried rice and a few others like mushroom chicken.  My brother didn’t get sick at all.  We love that place and sure tipped well. 

cap6 Enthusiast

We used to eat at our local Road house and they had a gluten free menu.  That, however, was about four years ago.  They suddenly  canceled the g.f. menu and said that they "tried" to keep things gluten free.  I'm thinking maybe they had too mkany people complain?

• 2 months later...
gluten-free BIKER CHICK Newbie

Let me tell you about my experience at Texas Roadhouse!  I went to dinner with my boyfriend and his ENTIRE family, about 20 of us.  My boyfriend quietly mentioned to our server that I was gluten free as we always do when going to a restaurant.  I was in the bathroom when she came over.  He ordered my food for me, no big deal..until......This woman comes over to the table and says she is the manager then at the top of her lungs screams out..."So we have someone here with a Gluten Allergy?" I was mortified.  This was the first time I met my boyfriend's extended family.  This woman then proceeds to bring out my food, each on separate plates and first like a childs meal..In fact my food came before the children's food. She plops down this huge flag with a round base in front of me that read "GLUTEN ALLERGY".  I just wanted to run out of the restaurant, It was like having a scarlet letter on my chest.  So, the moral of this story kids, is that Texas Roadhouse is VERY careful with people who have gluten allergies and my boyfriends family is afraid to invite me over or out for dinner!!   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived