This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Tart recipe ingredient review

Glutennovice

Glutennovice Newbie

Hello!

I found a dessert recipe I would like to try for a dinner guest with a Celiac disease. While I am pretty sure that the ingredients called for are all gluten-free, I’m looking for someone to double check just in case I missed something. Any help would be much appreciated! And if it’s forum approved, of course I would share the recipe with anyone who’s interested. Here’s the list:

cashews

pear nectar

agar flakes

arrowroot powder

maple syrup

rolled oats

almknd meal

brown rice flour

coconut flour

spelt flour

baking powder

pistachios

Thank you in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Spelt is not gluten-free!

Also the rolled outs may not be if the container doesn’t say “gluten-free.”

cyclinglady Grand Master

All the flours should be certified gluten free.  Studies have shown that many naturally gluten free flours can be  cross contaminated at the mill.  The tart pan has many crevices.  I would not use one that you have used before with gluten.  I sold all my old tart pans at a garage sale.  

Nice to be helpful, but I would never eat anything that was not made without my supervision in a non-celiacs house and that includes my on-the-ball mother.  Unless you have been trained about food safety.   Why not serve ice cream with berries, some thing that is naturally gluten free?  Talk to your friend.  You may find that she will bring her own food or just have a drink.  

ravenwoodglass Mentor
20 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Nice to be helpful, but I would never eat anything that was not made without my supervision in a non-celiacs house and that includes my on-the-ball mother.  Unless you have been trained about food safety.   Why not serve ice cream with berries, some thing that is naturally gluten free?  Talk to your friend.  You may find that she will bring her own food or just have a drink.  

It is wonderful of ou to want to try and make something special for your friend but I have to agree with CyclingLady. There is so much more to cooking safely for us than just the ingredients. You may want to read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section. It has a lot of good info on what you would need to do to cook food safely for your friend.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Glutennovice said:

Hello!

I found a dessert recipe I would like to try for a dinner guest with a Celiac disease. While I am pretty sure that the ingredients called for are all gluten-free, I’m looking for someone to double check just in case I missed something. Any help would be much appreciated! And if it’s forum approved, of course I would share the recipe with anyone who’s interested. Here’s the list:

cashews

pear nectar

agar flakes

arrowroot powder

maple syrup

rolled oats

almknd meal

brown rice flour

coconut flour

spelt flour

baking powder

pistachios

Thank you in advance!

Spelt is wheat! Oats must be specially grown and handled to be gluten-free.   

What else are you serving?  You may want to discuss this whole meal with your friend.  I get very uncomfortable and embarrassed and know I am going to hurt someone’s feelings when they surprise me with food they have made.  I hate that I have to ask a bunch of questions that make it sound like I think they have a dirty kitchen or are stupid - but I am not going to eat something that will make me sick.  I assume you are not trying to make someone sick or embarrasss them into eating unsafe food?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

That tart recipe is no good...spelt is wheat flour so gluten. Ditto the the above comments about cooking it in your house.
Umm talk to your guest about this, we respond to gluten crumbs, and residue so cook ware has to be dedicated gluten free, no flour "dust poofs" in the kitchen, no gluten in the kitchen. Most of us will not eat at something made by a gluten eater or in a non dedicated envirmoment.

Tips, go buy your guest prepacked gluten free foods,
DO NOT handle or cut them with knives, shears, tongs, etc. that have handled gluten products,
DO NOT use shared condiment jars or something that might get double dipped and spread crumbs, individual packets or new bottles/jars will be much appreciated.
DO NOT reach your hands into the bags and pull out chips etc after handling gluten foods.
DO NOT cook or heat the gluten free food in a non dedicated pan that has been used to handle gluten
DO use disposable plates, utensils, and food handling gloves when handling their food. D

PLEASE talk to your friend and have them help set everything up. Trust me Days of pain and random symptoms for months is not fun. Gluten exposure to use is like getting salmonella but it can last weeks to months slowly weaning off and damage our organs. Celiac is a automimmune disease where our immune system attacks our organs primarily the intestines in response to the smallest germ sized pieces go gluten just like it was a very bad germ and it goes way overboard.
Here are some links on newbie 101 and a list of food alternatives Perhaps a diya cheese cake or something like that would be nice.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121148-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q2/

Glutennovice Newbie

Thank you all for the helpful responses. My impression was that her condition was mild enough to not have to use separate pans and utensils, as we’ve dined many times at “standard” restaurants before. But after your reactions, it seems logical to talk it out with her as to not risk. So glad I checked in here. Again, thank you so much! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived