This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Parmesan and feta cheese

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

I no longer have issues with dairy unless I were to drink a cup of cows milk but cheese I can tolerate. Wondering what brand is safe for Parmesan? Feta cheese? And block cheese I can grate. Can I get some brands some of you guys use for these cheeses? I get scared at the grocery store because none of them say gluten free although the ingredients don’t ha e the word wheat in them. I always worry about cross contamination.  Thank you. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I eat any brand of cheese.  There are a few that say gluten-free in the US but that is silly because they are all gluten-free.  I don’t see where cc could happen.  They can’t make bread in a dairy or cheese factory.  I have had no issues with any cheese - I read labels as there are a few specialty cheeses with beer in them.  Cheese is one of those things that you don’t worry about.  ?

I use a lot of Kraft and Sargento. We have a couple of brands of feta but I don’t remember the brand.  Tillamook makes some yummy cheddar.  I got some already shredded Mexican mix from Costco that we liked.  I get Hautley or a local Kansas  cheese for mozzarella when I want a better cheese than the Kraft.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

-_- I already gave you my suggestions when you asked this last week, quite comprehensively infact. will repeat a few .
VioLife, virgin makes Feta
Open Original Shared Link
Parmesan I prefer parma, they also make a garlic and a bacon version

To be utterly blunt your asked last week and were probably peeved that you got non dairy suggest and no one really gave you a "dairy" option.....I get the fact you want something and are pissed people tell you you should not....I would feel the same about my coffee or cocoa nibs (they bother many with UC/Celaic but not me). BUT you say a cup of cows milk still gives you issues....obviously it is still a poison to your body and you just want a bit but you should really back road it like gluten....I can give you some demoralizing videos, and post to keep you off it.....dairy used to be my stable before my intolerance and prominent reminder when I get some by accident. I had to go watch a bunch of anti dairy campaigns and rebrain wash myself out of it. Stuff does contain a opoid like compound so you will have even more denial issues getting off it once you start.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use  President Feta which I purchase at Costco, but they sell it at other smaller grocery stores in smaller containers.  Most of my cheese purchases are made at Costco because it cheaper and we consume a lot of it.  I have never had any cheese that has had gluten in it.  Baby Bells, mozzarella sticks, etc. are good choices for travel.  They fit in my little coolers when I am traveling around town or far away.  

Happy you have cheese back! 

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

-_- I already gave you my suggestions when you asked this last week, quite comprehensively infact. will repeat a few .
VioLife, virgin makes Feta
Parmesan I prefer parma, they also make a garlic and a bacon version

To be utterly blunt your asked last week and were probably peeved that you got non dairy suggest and no one really gave you a "dairy" option.....I get the fact you want something and are pissed people tell you you should not....I would feel the same about my coffee or cocoa nibs (they bother many with UC/Celaic but not me). BUT you say a cup of cows milk still gives you issues....obviously it is still a poison to your body and you just want a bit but you should really back road it like gluten....I can give you some demoralizing videos, and post to keep you off it.....dairy used to be my stable before my intolerance and prominent reminder when I get some by accident. I had to go watch a bunch of anti dairy campaigns and rebrain wash myself out of it. Stuff does contain a opoid like compound so you will have even more denial issues getting off it once you start.

I get your passion, Ennis.  I kind of feel the same way about sugar which actually has a measurable impact on me (glucose meter).  It is addictive.  The evidence that it may be the cause of our near epidemic levels of diabetes, obesity and heart disease is compelling.  

What I have learned is that there is no one perfect diet for all.  Dairy is back in mine until I see negative side effects.  Wish I could get garlic back.  The OP can not drink milk because she still is a bit lactose intolerant.  Cheese has the least lactose.  Maybe her lactose intolerance is due to celiac damage, her genetic make-up or age.  

kareng Grand Master

I never stopped eating cheese.  A lot of cheeses have very little or no lactose.  I think we suffer enough, if we can and want to eat dairy cheese we should not be shamed for it.  For those who can’t or choose not to, that’s fine.  

Unless you have actually been to dairy farms, don’t believe everything these people with an agenda make/ write.  I am sure there are some horrible conditions, but I have seen a lot of very nice dairy farms.  The cows are there livelihood and it makes no sense to ill treat them - they won’t produce milk. 

I wonder how good the conditions are for the kids and adults harvesting cashews to make the non dairy stuff?

kareng Grand Master

Now back to your question ?

Shredding your own parm is wonderful.  But I am lazy so i like the parm that is shredded and comes in the little plastic Tupperware type containers.  Several different brands I have seen.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jherm21 Community Regular

Thank you for anyone who has made suggestions. Ennis for some reason when I posted last weeks question about cheese it showed that it was not posted. I typed it all on phone it didn’t show up on my thread. Was probably my phone acting silly. So my mistake for asking about cheese again and thanks for any of your suggestions. But no thanks on the attitude.  I love cheese and have always tolerated it. Milk (any milk, cashew milk coconut milk almond milk cows milk goat milk) all upset my tummy a little. But cheese is my life. So I’d like to enjoy some from time to time. And like the others have posted it’s very little to no lactose my doctors words as well. 

Bree J Apprentice

Just want to throw this in there-- many provolone cheeses are made "with smoke flavor" (should say it on the front). Smoke flavor is not usually gluten free! So if you like provolone get plain, or "organic" and make sure the ingredients don't say smoke flavor. :)

Nikki2777 Community Regular

The only cheeses I avoid are blue-veined cheeses IF they are imported or small batch local craft cheese, as it's my understanding that they are sometimes molded on bread (don't even know if it's true).  Otherwise, I eat them all - favorite brands are President for feta and Kirkland for shredded parmesan, but these are about ease (buy them in bulk) rather than specifically for flavor.  I also do avoid the smoke flavored ones for the risk noted above, but I also just don't like them.  As for milk, I also cannot tolerate whole milk (never could), but I'm good with fat free or 2%  in small amounts.

LilyR Rising Star

If someone is doing an elimination diet and not having dairy for a while, would I still be able to eat some cheese since it is low in lactose? Or is best to give up any and all dairy during elimination trials? 

Oh,and for cheese, I think it was the Cabot website for hard cheeses that mentions almost all theirs is gluten free. But sounds like most cheeses are.  Still, it can be nice when the company's website mentions it. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, LilyR said:

If someone is doing an elimination diet and not having dairy for a while, would I still be able to eat some cheese since it is low in lactose? Or is best to give up any and all dairy during elimination trials? 

Oh,and for cheese, I think it was the Cabot website for hard cheeses that mentions almost all theirs is gluten free. But sounds like most cheeses are.  Still, it can be nice when the company's website mentions it. 

Dairy is dairy on a elimination diet, your trying to void all the proteins, lactose, whey, casein, and the enzymes, hormones, pus, etc that could be setting off issues. I would even say wait at first on the dairy free alts. IF anything go with the fewest ingredients ones without starches or gums like the plain kite hills, tree line, leaf cuisines and miyoko. And completely sideline the crazy ones like daiya, or the blends of more then 2-4 ingredients.

LilyR Rising Star
On 6/22/2018 at 7:19 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Dairy is dairy on a elimination diet, your trying to void all the proteins, lactose, whey, casein, and the enzymes, hormones, pus, etc that could be setting off issues. I would even say wait at first on the dairy free alts. IF anything go with the fewest ingredients ones without starches or gums like the plain kite hills, tree line, leaf cuisines and miyoko. And completely sideline the crazy ones like daiya, or the blends of more then 2-4 ingredients.

Thanks for the info, Ennis.  I don't even know where to find dairy free alternatives yet, so will just not even think about that for now.  So, no cheese.  Good to know.  

Archived