This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waiting for biopsy results

Jayl

Jayl Rookie

Hi everyone,

I had my biopsy on Friday and my phone appointment for follow up was scheduled on Wednesday. He said he should have the results by that day. Well, he did call but he said the results were still not in. How long do the results usually take and is there a different processing time it takes whether the results are positive or negative, or is the same no matter what? He said that no matter what the biopsy shows, he wants me to go on a gluten free diet at least for a couple of months to see if I feel any improvement. He also explained that Celiac can be patchy and that's why it can be difficult to get the right spot on biopsy, which is why he wants me to try it regardless. He said the my lab results were the highest he has seen in a long time and that you don't get those numbers for no reason. Has anyone else heard this? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

Sounds like a good doctor who understands celiac disease! My biopsy results only took 2 or 3 days, but you never know how busy the lab is. Positive vs negative should take the same amount of time - the pathologist has to look at slides under a microscope either way.  

Jayl Rookie
2 minutes ago, RMJ said:

Sounds like a good doctor who understands celiac disease! My biopsy results only took 2 or 3 days, but you never know how busy the lab is. Positive vs negative should take the same amount of time - the pathologist has to look at slides under a microscope either way.  

This doctor had been a gift from God. I have been suffering for many years with these symptoms, along with additional issues from Sjogren's syndrome. All the doctors, specifically Rheumatologists, I have delt with are not usually very compassionate and I feel very brushed off most of the time. From my first visit with him, even though he didn't have an answer, he acknowledged that what I was feeling was real. I am hoping that they are back soon!

Jayl Rookie

Well, got my results today; he said my biopsy showed changes to my small bowel consistent with Celiac disease, so I guess it's finally official. I am just so relieved to finally have an answer.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - trents replied to Dora77's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Am I overexaggerating or is it normal?

2. - knitty kitty replied to Dora77's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

3. - Wheatwacked replied to Dora77's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

4. - knitty kitty replied to Dora77's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

5. - knitty kitty replied to Crackerjack's topic in Food Intolerance & Leaky Gut

Developing other food intolerances after Celiac diagnosis

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Livingwithasmile
    Newest Member
    Livingwithasmile
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      I don't know. When I read that whole article I see things like this: "Our finding that, in a fraction of coeliac patients, CM protein challenge may induce an inflammatory reaction of the same magnitude, as did gluten challenge, may also suggest an innate as well as adaptive immune response to CM, and casein in particular. However, lack of increased serum antibodies to casein in our casein-sensitive coeliac patients may suggest that casein is less prone than gliadin to drive adaptive immunity . . .In conclusion, our data raise the possibility that sensitivity to CM may be a feature in a proportion of patients with celiac disease and may therefore contribute to persistent symptoms in coeliac patients who are on a gluten-free diet . . . However, with the data available we cannot assert that the sensitization to CM protein is a specific pathogenic mechanism operating in a significant proportion of patients with celiac disease." And it was also a very small sample size - 20 people.
    • knitty kitty
      Lactose is the sugar/carbohydrate in dairy.  I think you mean LactAse, the enzyme that breaks down LactOse in this quote. Lactobacillus does not produce LactAse for us to use.  Lactobacillus break down lactose for their own use.   The result of eating fermented pickles is that there is an increase in the lactobacillus population in the intestines.  Lactobacillus are one of the good bacteria that get kicked out when SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) occurs.  SIBO can and does occur in Celiac Disease.  
    • Wheatwacked
      @Dora77, I started taking 10,000 IU vitamin D3 around March 2015. I also am taking 250 mg Thiamine one to three times a day.. In September 2019 it was still only at 47 ng/ml.  It was another two years before I reached 80 ng/ml and has stayed between 80 and 93 since.  Last May it was 93 going into the spring with lots of sun exposure so I took a break from them to see what happens.  In my July tests it had dropped down to 74 ng/ml so obviously I started taking it again,  I expect to get back to 80 in my October tests.  I noticed over the years if I don't take it my mood drops, and I get withdrawn and even stop reading emails and avoid going out. Liquid D3 may even absorb better because it is already disolved. Mine is one pill of 10,000. When I started I was taking 10 1000 IU pills.  Swallowing a bunch of pills plus the B1,B3,B5,B12,Choline,and liquid Magnesium Citrate  every morning was a pain.  My iodine is Liquid Iodine at 50 mcg per drop, so I just squirt 10 drops into my coffee or Red Bull 1 to 3 times a day.  Labs stayed the same but I an healing faster now and getting better hair, nails, skin, and muscle tone.  I even got my brother, son, daughter in law and her parents to start taking the vitamin D and iodine and they say it helps.  Her father is a kidney transplant patient and his tests are improving since starting.  Click the link and read the Mayo Clinic article.  It is full of information about vitamin D. I drink about a liter of whole milk a day.  If it is not causing you distress continue on because it is a great source of potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, needed for bones, that is hard to get without milk. U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Data Central Whole Milk Nutrients   That's what fermented foods are for, the lactobacillus (probiotic) supplies us with lactose.  The quick pickles and sauerkraut, made with vinegar, we buy in the US supermarkets give us the taste but not the health benefits of real fermented foods. Find a good pickle barrel source or make your own. Choline is important to bile because it keeps it from getting too thick and causing gallbladder problems. Choline is a also a major part of acetycholine (nerve transmission) and mitochondrial (the body's energy factories) membranes.       Biliary Lecithin Secretion. II. Effects of Dietary Choline and Biliary Lecithin Synthesis " "with each increment in dietary choline, biliary lecithin as well as cholesterol secretion rates were significantly increased. " A blood test for Homocysteine can indicate your vitimin status for choline, B6, folate, B12 and cardiovascular inflammation.
    • knitty kitty
      Yes, it's that high.   Mucosal reactivity to cow's milk protein in coeliac disease https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/ Lactose Intolerance is where the villi in the small intestine are damaged and cannot make Lactase, the enzyme that digests the sugar in dairy, Lactose. The protein in dairy, Casein, can stimulate the autoimmune response just like gluten.  Casein and gluten both can cross link proteins that stimulate antibody production (antibodies to transglutaminase are used to diagnose Celiac, those tTg IgA blood tests).   Dairy products often have microbial transglutaminase added for texture.  Microbial transglutaminase cross links proteins just like gluten and casein do, triggering the autoimmune response.  Microbial transglutaminase acts the same as tissue transglutaminase which our bodies produce.   P.S.  Just wanted to add, some people are genetically programmed to stop producing LactAse in adulthood and have lactose intolerance forever. Others with lactose intolerance can consume dairy after their villi grow back and can produce LactAse again. Others, like me, will always react to Casein as well as gluten.  We can have lactose intolerance if our villi are damaged and cannot produce lactase, as well as a reaction to Casein.  
    • knitty kitty
      The foods that you are sensitive to may contain high histamine levels.  Your body makes histamine in response to foods you are sensitive to.   Your body needs time to clear the build up of histamine from both high histamine foods and the high histamine levels your body makes in response to them.   Avoiding high histamine foods for a while is important while your body heals.  Antihistamines are not going to be able to clear the histamine if you keep eating high histamine foods.  Diamine Oxidase (DAO) supplements help reduce histamine in foods.  Our bodies make DAO from Vitamins B12 Cobalamine, B6 Pyridoxine, Vitamin C and Thiamine B1. DAO supplements are available over the counter.  You may want to consider DAO supplements and supplementing with Thiamine (Benfotiamine) and the other B Complex vitamins, and Vitamins D and C. Histamine Intolerance—The More We Know the Less We Know. A Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8308327/ Diamine oxidase supplementation improves symptoms in patients with histamine intolerance https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31807350/