This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

There's nothing here yet

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Edie Marie8
    Newest Member
    Edie Marie8
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Welcome to this online community and to the celiac nation, @Aussie Celiac! Let us know if we can help you with anything as you start the journey. By the way, we have forum participants who weren't diagnosed until they were in their 80s. It is often the case that the actual onset of the condition precedes the official diagnosis by many years, especially when symptoms are minimal. I was 50-51 when I was diagnosed but looking back I had laboratory evidence of the onset preceding the diagnosis by 13 years. It probably took years for your celiac nutrient malabsorption to deplete your iron stores such that nothing was left in the bank and your actual hemoglobin levels began to drop.
    • Aussie Celiac
      Well at the ripe old age of 55 I'm newly diagnosed as Celiac. What a surprise.  I was low in iron and this was the only symptom. Well I did get heartburn after eating bread but according to all sources this isn't officially a symptom! Better late than never lol. 
    • trents
      Keep in mind that blood tests for nutritional deficiencies may not be valid if you are already taking vitamin supplements. That may mask deficiencies. 
    • trents
      I think the confusing part may be the notation: "Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr- ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy." It is simply an explanation of what the test was looking for. It is not a statement of something they found of concern. What they were looking for was in the negative range. So, based on this test alone, it does not appear you have celiac disease. But as Wheatwacked hinted at, there should have been more tests run. At the very least, a "total IGA" should have been ordered as well to test for IGA deficiency. If you are IGA deficient, then this could have skewed the Transglutaminase IGA result down toward the negative range. Another question should be asked that has a bearing on the validity of the test result you reported. Had you already been cutting back on gluten consumption when the blood sample was taken?
    • Wheatwacked
      Hi @6faith6, welcome to the forum. Was this the only test run?  It is negative. Why was it run? Can you tell us about yourself and your symptoms? Country? I would guess you feel like crap and the doctors can't find anything wrong.