This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

News: Are there carbs in popcorn?

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

In general, when eating popcorn out — for example as a snack at the ... for someone with celiac disease or gluten intolerance because it is gluten-free.

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Scochran
    Newest Member
    Scochran
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Welcome to the forum, @Scochran! You have had two antibody tests designed to detect celiac disease: 1. Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA (aka, "tTG-IGA") 2. Endomysial Antibody IgA (aka, "EMA") The tTG-IGA you have had done twice and it seems to have been negative the first time but there is no negative vs. positive note the second time. We can't tell from the numbers themselves because different labs use different scales. So, unless you include the range for negative vs. positive for the second tTG-IGA test we can't be sure if it was negative or positive. And there is a question as to whether the second tTG-IGA test was accurate because you had already started a gluten free diet. The EMA was was also negative. This is an older test and not as sensitive as the tTG-IGA. It isn't ordered very often anymore. It is also relatively expensive. The other test, the IGA, which was high both times, is what we call "total IGA" and is not a test for celiac disease per se. It's value is that if it is low, it can create false negatives in the individual celiac IGA based tests such as the tTG-IGA. Your total IGA is not deficient so that is not a problem in your case. If you are wondering if a high total IGA is a health risk, I am not aware that it is significant in that sense. But yes, you are correct and your nurse practitioner is wrong. Total IGA cannot be used to diagnose celiac disease. It does not appear from the limited testing that has been done that you have celiac disease but it would have been helpful if an more complete celiac panel had been done and done at a time when you were consuming generous amounts of gluten. A more complete celiac panel would have included DGP-IGG antibody test. So, you might consider a "gluten challenge" and then ask for a more complete celiac panel If you are convinced that gluten is causing you problems then you may have NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) instead of celiac disease. NCGS shares many of the same symptoms of celiac disease but does not damage the lining of the small bowel as does celiac disease. There is no test for it. It is 10x more common than celiac disease. Some experts feel it can be a precursor to the development of celiac disease. Eliminating gluten from your life is the antidote for both.
    • Scochran
      Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA, 1.2 (Negative)  IgA 393 mg/dLH High  Abnormal second test Endomysial Antibody IgA LCNegative t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA 2 iga 488 abnormal first test Comment from doctor from test   Your Celiac Screening Test showed a positive IgA, which gives you a 93% likelihood of having Celiac Disease. The treatment for this includes a gluten-free diet. I would suggest discussing this with your primary care provider and consider follow up with Gastroenterology. If you have any questions, please notify the office.  Thank you. She’s a nurse practitioner endocrinologist and told me I didn’t necessarily need to be eating gluten again after I had stopped for two weeks for second test but don’t avoid it. I felt that wasn’t correct from what I’ve read. Also she told me the total iga for this test is specific for celiac only. From what I’ve read that isn’t correct. She is diagnosing me just from elevated iga? Is this correct. My sister is celiac but her ttg iga is high and total iga. I feel so confused. My sister is definitely celiac and I have so many symptoms I believe could be but not the standard ones. I ache all over, off balance and dizzy, many health problems I feel could be related. Please chime in with your experience.
    • mbrookes
      Google is your friend. I just put in " air frier Whatever" and get recipes that so far have been really. After a while you see what they are doing and you can convert your old recipes to air frier. I love mine! 
    • Scott Adams
      I don't have an air fryer, but found this: https://www.everydayfamilycooking.com/gluten-free-air-fryer-recipes/ 
    • glucel
      I had a triple bypass so do not eat cheese or butter but I use avocado oil freely. Do not eat potato chips etc every night anymore instead fruit and or bowl of cereal with nut milk. Diet is much cleaner now but qty remains the same. My diet seems nutritional enough and pretty much follows: breakfast- hard boiled egg, 1/2 oz beef liver, cereal: flax, milk thistle pumpkin seed and oatmeal mixed together Lunch/dinner-  meat, chicken or salmon with potato or rice or quinoa and veggies no oil sometimes salad with dressing. Bread if needed. supper- 3 slice bread peanut or cashew butter or 5 grain cereal with nut milk, or soup loaded with rice or whatever evening- fruit maybe potato chips or cookies when I just have to do it. Ordinarily try not to keep them in house. I put on a pound or so when potato chips are eaten for couple days. I use to eat much more fat but am more careful now after bypass so suppose that makes a difference. I think small intestine might have something to do with it but was looking for confirmation.