This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does celiac disease cause severe bone pain?

Shayla21

knitty kitty Grand Master

Wheatwacked, Suzisqueue, and others,

PLEASE get checked for low thiamine (erythrocyte transketolase test)!!!

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/thiamine-deficiency-testing-understanding-labs/

Celiac Disease causes the Thiamine transporters to malfunction.  Thiamine transporters allow thiamine into the body's cells to make energy so they can function properly.  More thiamine than usual is needed to turn the transporters back on.

Low thiamine can manifest itself in many different ways because everyone is different.  Low thiamine can effect differently depending on the organs most affected.  

Low Thiamine can be caused by malabsorption due to Celiac Disease damage to the small intestine, higher metabolic need because of inflammation due to illness, stress, physical activity, exposure to heat and humidity, and psychological stress (thinking requires lots of energy production in the brain).

Low Thiamine in the pancreas results in poor secretion of digestive enzymes, insulin, etc.  

Thiamine helps keep intestinal bacteria in check.  Low thiamine results in SIBO.  Intestinal Bacterial absorb thiamine, depriving you of the much needed vitamin.

Without enough thiamine, the sheath covering nerves is damaged and your brain registers this as pain.

Thiamine is needed to turn off the fight or flight response of the adrenal glands resulting in adrenal fatigue and other adrenal gland problems.  

Eating a diet high in carbohydrates can deplete thiamine.  This is called high calorie malnutrition.

High carbohydrate diet and low thiamine

https://austinpublishinggroup.com/nutrition-food-sciences/fulltext/ajnfs-v3-id1061.php

Thiamine deficiency can result in gout.

This article describes juvenile arthritis, but it can be applied to adults as well....

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/juvenile-rheumatoid-arthritis-an-unusual-treatment/

Spinal degeneration in thiamine deficiency.... dogs can be thiamine deficient as well.....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19803406/

Adrenal dysfunction

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644268/

SIBO and Thiamine....

https://www.eonutrition.co.uk/post/thiamine-deficiency-a-major-cause-of-sibo

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/sibo-ibs-constipation-thiamine-deficiency/

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00207/full

I was thiamine deficient.  I took high dose thiamine as Dr. Lonsdale recommended and have improved dramatically! 

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetp62 Newbie
On 7/20/2020 at 8:11 AM, amitlko22 said:

Is there any doctor in the group who may lead us to solution of this bone pain issues. I am 38 and have been diagnosed with celiac disease three years back. Till then i am following strict gluten free diet .However, I am not able to get painless hour in my life Everyday a new part of my body is in pain even the jaw hand shoulder, knee wrist , fingers. It's not only painful but it is throwing me out of my life . I am supposed to earn and be support to others and after every sleep i get a new pain. I stayed alone for two years and the pains were very less since i have moved in my parents house everyday from past three months i am suffering. They started eating rice to avoid cross contamination yet .... 
My mom is 70 and diagnosed with celiac disease once she has CKD and CLD. (suffering)
I get the pain by touching or inhaling the gluten as well or by touching the surface where someone had some food full of gluten. It's too much to ask from a family . 
I am getting severe pains its piercing pain with lot of heat inflammation around.  

Please discuss with me if you have any of the following (since all doctors just keep mum at questions).
 Gets Muscular / Bone pain by touching or inhaling the Gluten ?
Home remedy / any solution / Medicine - please suggest. 

I had bone pain and muscle pain. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Yeah my fibers hurt. Move onto emergency appendectomy. Noticed I felt worse after high gluten or potatoes. Went gluten and nightshade free. Wala no more bone pain. Could get out of bed without crying out from foot pain. And al the rest, brain fog all over aches. Other issues croppped up but, ALL go back to diet for dealing with it. Dr. Paganos worked for me.

• 1 year later...
Nik-1 Newbie
On 8/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, Shayla21 said:

Lately I have had really bad bone pain, sometimes in my right wrist and forearm, in my ribs, but the worst is in my left leg. It started out as a dull ache in my knee that comes and goes. It was worst at night too. I totally freaked out when I saw that a bony knob on the side of my knee was sticking out more compared to the other knee. I do suffer from health anxiety but I got other people to look at it and they all agreed that it definitely was poking out a lot more. I started to get shin pain on that same leg and went to my GP. Around this time I had stomach pains and later found out that I tested positive for celiac disease (my ttg iga was above 250, normal is under 20). She said that bony bit was normal and was not much different to the other side. Went back to her again because I was in a lot more pain and she thought that it could be related to celiac disease since I am still eating gluten while I wait for my biopsy appointment. I didn’t think it was because she checked for vitamin deficiency’s and they were all normal. After a couple of weeks the pain got even worst and went to a different GP who agreed that my bony knob was sticking out and looked a bit swollen. She gave me vitamin d because it costs $60 to test for that deficiency so we thought that if I was deficient I would feel better after taking it. She gave me stronger pain relief and referred me for a X-ray and blood tests for other autoimmune diseases. All came back clear. The pain relief hasn’t worked, the pain has moved to my hip and thigh as well. I have another doctors appointment in a couple of days since I am worried about that knob that I think has gotten slightly bigger and I know that MRIs are better for looking at the soft tissue in legs than X rays. So I guess my question is, have any of yous had pain like this in these places? I think I’ve pretty much convinced myself I have cancer. 

Hi, I have severe knee pain that did start gradually. I'm a complete mess now as it just feels like I'm broken. my GP sent me for blood tests to find out why and a few weeks ago got told the blood test for Celiac Disease is positive. I'm in so much its ridiculous it's worse than a broken bone, those i have had many of in  my life time, What is getting to me is i have to keep eating something that is a poison to my body just for a camera down my throat. Its horrid to be in so much pain, it's hard for others to understand I get that. My GP thought it was other things so tested me for everything.  So I hope what I'm writing helps just a little bit. look after your self x

Scott Adams Grand Master

At least you have an answer now, and can go gluten-free and start recovering. Most issues with untreated celiac disease do resolve themselves on a gluten-free diet.

• 3 weeks later...
jennyrose04 Newbie

Yes celiac disease can cause bone pain, consult a doctor.

• 6 months later...
Jlsnj Rookie
On 8/21/2020 at 1:24 PM, knitty kitty said:

Thiamine is needed to turn off the fight or flight response of the adrenal glands resulting in adrenal fatigue and other adrenal gland problems.  

This is so interesting to me, my blood work has always showed a high Dheas level, more than double the upper limit, and my endo always said it was normal, I was always nervous about it being high because google search says it’s made in the adrenal and that high could mean cancer. Well, I’ve been gluten-free for 12 days and my chronic pain is gone and so is my anxiety! I had a stutter and social anxiety now I’m a freakin social butterfly! I’ll bet my thiamine was low and I’d bet the Dheas levels out now!