This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

News: What's Up with the Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator in Celiac Disease?

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Celiac.com 12/11/2018 - In most people without celiac disease or other gluten sensitivities, the gut does a pretty good job of processing gluten, and ...

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Scott Adams replied to AmandaA's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

New and Frustrated

2. - Julianne101 posted a topic in Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications

Provitalize - probiotic/herbal supplement

3. - Julianne101 replied to Julianne101's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Seeking proper diagnosis

4. - Wheatwacked replied to KelleyJo's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Mast Cell Activation with Gluten reaction

5. - trents replied to AmandaA's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

New and Frustrated

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NanaKris
    Newest Member
    NanaKris
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      How much gluten were you eating on a daily basis before your blood and biopsy tests for celiac disease were done? It's recommended to eat lots of gluten, at least two slices of wheat bread per day for 6-8 weeks before getting tested, otherwise results could be false negative. You can still have celiac disease with negative blood test results, although it's not very common:  Clinical and genetic profile of patients with seronegative coeliac disease: the natural history and response to gluten-free diet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5606118/  Seronegative Celiac Disease - A Challenging Case: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9441776/  Enteropathies with villous atrophy but negative coeliac serology in adults: current issues: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34764141/   
    • Julianne101
      I have been gluten intolerant for years and stayed on a strict gluten free diet.  I did not, however, worry too much about contamination since my reaction was not severe...mostly bloating, gas, and constipation.  About a year ago I entered peri-menopause and was dealing with difficult symptoms (hot flashes, joint pain, insomnia, etc).  A friend recommended a probiotic/herbal supplement called Provitalize that helped her immensely.  So, I tried it and within 24-48 hours had severe diarrhea.  Strangely, althought I stopped taking it, the diarrhea lasted on and off for 3 months!  I thought I had a parasite or something, but all parasite and other GI tests came back negative.  So I assumed my gluten sensitivity must have developed into full-blown Celiac Disease...  Has anyone else used Provitalize and had a bad reaction to it?
    • Julianne101
      Thank you all, for the helpful responses!  There is so much to learn about how to manage this. As one of you mentioned, I thought maybe I was dealing with additional food sensitivies. So, I asked and was referred to an Allergist who said, "no, food sensitivities wouldn't cause chronic diarrhea alone."  I guess because I don't have any skin reactions or respiratory symptoms.  So, I'm not sure what to make of that or how to even figure this out. I will be seeing another GI doctor who specializes in Celiac Disease soon, so hopefully he will have some answers.  In the meantime I am barely managing my symptoms.  I'm not eating any hidden gluten that I know of, but maybe it is sneaking in in places I'm not aware of.  I have chronic diarrhea and it's a real challenge to go to work.  For now I'm using pesto bismol or immodium to control the symptoms.  I know it's not ideal, but until I have answers, I'm not sure what else to do.  I'm living on a very simple BRAT diet too. I have one last question for now....I have terrible joint pain that seems to only come at night. Is that a symptom others have dealt with?  I've tried stretching, massage, etc. but the ache hits different tendons in my hips and pelvis at night mainly. Is there a particular pain reliever that is considered most safe for people with Celiac Disease?  I think I read somewhere that NSAIDs are a concern contributing to gut issues.
    • Wheatwacked
      The krill oil is omega 3.   Higher ratio of plasma omega-6/omega-3 fatty acids is associated with greater risk of all-cause, cancer, and cardiovascular mortality: a population-based cohort study in UK Biobank Here is a list I found  Vegetables: Contents of Omega – 3 and Omega – 6
    • trents
      You could also be dealing with NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) instead of celiac disease. NCGS shares many of the same symptoms of celiac disease but does not damage the lining of the small bowel as does celiac disease. There is no test for it. It is 10x more common than celiac disease. Some experts feel it can be a precursor to the development of celiac disease. Eliminating gluten from your life is the antidote for both. Since you have had all the testing done for celiac disease, the next logical step is to get serious about going gluten free and see if your symptoms start improving.