This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Super sensitive to MANY things

Keight

Keight Enthusiast

Today was a hay fever day. I took my usual hay fever tablet. 30 min later, I am feeling very light headed, dizzy and horrible intestinal cramps. The medication packet says gluten-free, and I am smack bang in the middle of my period. 

Has anyone any pointers to article etc that helps explain why I might be uber sensitive to hay fever medication, fruit, all dairy and caffeine all of a sudden? And my skin is super sensitive too.

I really need to understand the physiology of what is happening. The Aspie in me, I suppose... ?

Thank you. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Feel free to research the types of Hypersensitivity (which includes type 4 — celiac disease) more (be sure to scroll down the page to the chart.  It is technical and made for med students: 

https://www.amboss.com/us/knowledge/Hypersensitivity_reactions

And then just learning more about celiac disease, Zonulin and leaky gut helps explain additional food intolerances and why just going gluten free may not be enough (e.g. lactose intolerance, concurrent illnesses like Hashimoto’s). too:

https://gluten.org/looking-beyond-gluten-free-choose-gut-supportive-diet-long-term-health-celiac-disease/

I found that once I healed from celiac (a slow process), my other health issues calmed down.  I only had anemia when I was diagnosed.  As a kid and young adult, I had gut issues and allergies, but I guess my body just adapted over the years (I also had allergy testing and identified foods that made me ill like garlic) and my gut issues resolved.  After going gluten free and if exposed to gluten, my reactions became more severe.  Go figure!  I can only focus on avoiding gluten and non-processed foods, exercise, reduce stress and rest/sleep.  

Edited by cyclinglady
Keight Enthusiast

Thanks, CL. I found that useful. I really need to reign in myself. You are right; I am pushing too hard for 'normality'. 

Part of it is to prove to my work that I AM a useful member of the team and that they need to have faith in me. 

Anyway, it is what it is and I need to be vigilant in monitoring what is happening with my health. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Please heed my advice about not pushing too hard.  You do not need to develop an new illness.  You will get back to normal — just not “soon”.  

After my vertebrae fractures (osteoporosis due to undiagnosed celiac disease) I was devastated.  With osteoporosis I could have more fractures.  I was afraid to ride my bike for good reason — crashing.  I thought my skiing and roller skating (love to do this with the kids in my family)  days were over too.  I settled for a new normal.  Walking.  Safe, sort of effective.  I also swam.  But not hard.  Gentle was my temporary motto.  Later, I started trail running again and after a year, I was back on my road bike.  I survived.  

Edited by cyclinglady
Keight Enthusiast

Sigh. Yup. I see your point. I have patches of osteoporosis, so my results told me Friday. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ah, did I say that my vertebrae fractures occurred while I was doing NOTHING?  No falls.  Just spontaneous.  My back was numb for months.  This happened two months after my celiac disease diagnosis.  I was so depressed.  

The good news is that I got out of a lot of housework!   The gluten free diet helped me absorb nutrients for building good bones (I went outside daily for sun too).  

You will heal.  Be patient.  

Keight Enthusiast

Thank you, sweet lady. I think the seriousness of this disease is missed by many; myself definitely included, sad to admit. Your fractures provide the proof that it is indeed a grave situation. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Whitepaw Enthusiast

You mention fruits. Look up FODMAPS.  Kate Scarlata has a nice shopping list and recipes.  FODMAP Everyday in Facebook has recipes and info.  Certain carbs in many foods aren't easily digested. It took me nearly 2 years to get back to normal after a bout with dairy / FODMAP intolerance. It could be the foods you switched to are foods that aren't  easily digestible. 

You can look up meds ingredients here, to check for gluten ingredients:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/

Metoo Enthusiast

All I can recommend is to not go it alone on this.  I spent 2 years trying to figure out my sensitivities and avoiding foods and products to try and calm down my reactions.  After 2 years...I finally got fed up and saw a dietitian.  After eliminating multiple things with the dietitian...I am now able to eat all kinds of things I had avoided, and my extreme ultra fear of contamination is reduced, because I found out I am not as sensitive as I thought...just turns out I had developed another reaction to potassium nitrates (that are found in water!) so the whole time I thought it was dairy, and maybe medicine...and maybe the fact that I was getting cross contaminated, it turned out the thing I thought was safe and healthy....water!  was actually the thing that was causing all my problems!  I would have never have figured that out on my own.  It pays to see a professional!

Whitepaw Enthusiast
4 minutes ago, Metoo said:

All I can recommend is to not go it alone on this.  I spent 2 years trying to figure out my sensitivities and avoiding foods and products to try and calm down my reactions.  After 2 years...I finally got fed up and saw a dietitian.  After eliminating multiple things with the dietitian...I am now able to eat all kinds of things I had avoided, and my extreme ultra fear of contamination is reduced, because I found out I am not as sensitive as I thought...just turns out I had developed another reaction to potassium nitrates (that are found in water!) so the whole time I thought it was dairy, and maybe medicine...and maybe the fact that I was getting cross contaminated, it turned out the thing I thought was safe and healthy....water!  was actually the thing that was causing all my problems!  I would have never have figured that out on my own.  It pays to see a professional!

Or a dr. My GI dr looked at the list of what bothered me and what I tolerated,  and suggested I try low FODMAP.  

Jenny8413 Rookie

After being diagnosed with celiac four years ago and fine tuning my diet to eliminate gluten, including cross contamination, I improved but still had continuing digestive symptoms.  A positive Sucrose Breath Test led to a low sucrose diet, which finally seems to be helping with digestive problems including pain and bloat.  I'm surprised there isn't more mention of Sucrase deficiency since Sucrase is created from the villi (like lactase) which are damaged from celiac.  Not sure, but I think FODMAP is aimed at limiting the sugar fructose (not sucrose)?   I wonder why there isn't more mention of sucrase deficiency, as it causes a lot of IBS symptoms.   

Whitepaw Enthusiast

FODMAPS are short chain carbs that are resistant to digestion. Not all sugars fall into that category.  

Heres a summary of FODMAPs, allowed foods, foods to avoid. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fodmaps-101

Keight Enthusiast

Thanks all. I know apples, pears and peaches cause reactions; both digestive and skin related. I am dangerously allergic to pineapple. 

I can down a small amount of cream, butter, hard cheese no problem, but other cheeses and milk cause gas and the runs. 

Everything else seems ok. I have not tried a hay fever tablet again. A bit scared to. I am able to eat nuts and seeds with glee, so my skin is thanking me for that. 

John Spoolman Apprentice

You don't say how long you've been gluten free, but be sure to double check everything you eat and if you get a reaction to something, check everything you've consumed in the previous 2-3 hours.  There is a lot of misdirection in figuring out this gluten-free diet!  If you've consumed anything 2 - 3 hours before that hay fever med, suspect all of it.  If you've been on a gluten-free diet for 10 years, you've probably already discovered this.  Also, you might have a dairy allergy.  Not lactose intolerance but an allergy to the protein in dairy, which is not uncommon, especially in adults.  Sounds like you have your share of allergies!  Good luck!  

• 2 weeks later...
Keight Enthusiast
On 10/11/2019 at 2:51 AM, John Spoolman said:

You don't say how long you've been gluten free, but be sure to double check everything you eat and if you get a reaction to something, check everything you've consumed in the previous 2-3 hours.  There is a lot of misdirection in figuring out this gluten-free diet!  If you've consumed anything 2 - 3 hours before that hay fever med, suspect all of it.  If you've been on a gluten-free diet for 10 years, you've probably already discovered this.  Also, you might have a dairy allergy.  Not lactose intolerance but an allergy to the protein in dairy, which is not uncommon, especially in adults.  Sounds like you have your share of allergies!  Good luck!  

Thanks, John. Only 6 weeks into it. I think my body has been really worn down. Things ARE slowly getting better, though. Lactose is a definite no! 

John Spoolman Apprentice
15 hours ago, Keight said:

Thanks, John. Only 6 weeks into it. I think my body has been really worn down. Things ARE slowly getting better, though. Lactose is a definite no! 

Glad to hear it.  Other things you may need to do for awhile (I did the first year) while the gut heals is to take a regular iron supplement and have a bone density test.  I was quite anemic and had mild osteoporosis.  I had good news too, the first year.  After about 6 months I was no longer lactose intolerant.  Apparently the little critters that digest lactose normally reside at the ends of certain villi that have been destroyed and once your villi grow back, the good bacteria return.  They did for me and they might for you too.   Good luck!

NNowak Collaborator

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac in 1995, at age 24, I was extremely malnourished. My vision was gone, I couldn’t climb the 3 floors to my apartment, I was exhausted and unable to perform my high level position in finance. It’s temporary. Explain your situation to your boss and that you are doing everything possible to regain your health. You must be responsible and focus on your healing. It took me 2 years to be healthy, so be patient. The fractures and additional health complications are not something you want to experience. I fractured 4 vertebrae, 2 ribs and punctured a lung due to balance/strength issues 22 years later. Undiagnosed pernicious anemia and malabsorption are issues I’m trying to figure out now. Lesson: stay diligent with your health, research and make sure you have physicians that work with you. Low FODMAP diet is highly recommended as well as an immunologist on this journey. 

Good luck and be well!

John Spoolman Apprentice
21 hours ago, NNowak said:

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac in 1995, at age 24, I was extremely malnourished. My vision was gone, I couldn’t climb the 3 floors to my apartment, I was exhausted and unable to perform my high level position in finance. It’s temporary. Explain your situation to your boss and that you are doing everything possible to regain your health. You must be responsible and focus on your healing. It took me 2 years to be healthy, so be patient. The fractures and additional health complications are not something you want to experience. I fractured 4 vertebrae, 2 ribs and punctured a lung due to balance/strength issues 22 years later. Undiagnosed pernicious anemia and malabsorption are issues I’m trying to figure out now. Lesson: stay diligent with your health, research and make sure you have physicians that work with you. Low FODMAP diet is highly recommended as well as an immunologist on this journey. 

Good luck and be well!

Thanks for the comments and good to hear you learned about celiac in time, before the effects got even worse (or fatal!)