This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Udi's Frozen Pastas: Why did they disappear?

Rob S.

Rob S. Contributor

I am just curious why Udi's frozen pastas disappeared. 

I called conagra....on hold for 10+ minutes and gave up.   I emailed, but have not heard back yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
7 minutes ago, Rob S. said:

I am just curious why Udi's frozen pastas disappeared. 

I called conagra....on hold for 10+ minutes and gave up.   I emailed, but have not heard back yet.

They still show on the udis  page.  Maybe your store didn’t sell enough?  It the distributed they get food from discontinued it?

Rob S. Contributor

Thanks, Karen.   Go back to the page and try the where to buy. Not available anywhere. Even amazon.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Rob S. said:

Thanks, Karen.   Go back to the page and try the where to buy. Not available anywhere. Even amazon.

That’s odd.  Might have better luck emailing?  Or message on FB?

cyclinglady Grand Master

What?  I buy these when we are on vacation visiting family.  Hubby can make one when I go out for a family girl’s night out or a day shopping.  I last bought them at Target in August.  

Okay.  Processed food, but sometimes you do not want to cook!  They fit well in the RV freezer!  

Rob S. Contributor

UPDATE:  I spoke with Conagra, which just bought Udi's. It is integrating it into its operations and it appears it is not going well. 

Conagra said it has not discontinued any of the lines, but it could not give any more details on availability. On the other hand, it did confirm that it is continuing to make the the breads and pizzas. Conagra said something that was concerning...."that the gluten free foods are a niche market and we are not sure how much it will continue to make."

It gave me a really strange suggested course of action:  "Talk to the store where I normally bought the products to see if the store could talk to its distributor to get more information about the products." I pointed out the food distributors would need to call Conacra for the information, so if they did call Conagra, what would you tell them? "I don't know."

I was left with the feeling that Conagra is about to embark on a cost cutting frenzy to make the acquisition look better and that mean a reduced number of UDIs gluten free skus.

I will follow up from time to time.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Thanks for the update!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That’s a shame.  Considering Udis is everywhere!  I have been to groceries all over the country and even one with only 3 specific gluten-free products - all 3 are Udis.  

Whitepaw Enthusiast

I just bought an Udis lasagna from Target.  Never seen it before,  thought it was new.

Crislee189 Newbie

Shouldn’t we be concerned that ConAgra bought Udi’s?  Many of their brands are not gluten free.  How can we be sure that udi’s will not now be made in a facility that processes wheat?  

leslieg Newbie

So sad! I eat Udi's frozen at least once a week -- they have the few non-spicy gluten-free frozen foods out there! (Except for Amy's frozen mac & cheese, and I really don't want that much cheese.)  

Auldtwa Explorer

All Udi’s products have disappeared from my local Safeway.  Despite that, “just-for-U” keeps giving me coupons for them.

Disarray abounding.

Joel K Rookie

Not to go too far off point, but I had that incredible sinking feeling when I saw that ConAgra bought Udi’s brand. ConAgra is just another word for Monsanto and GMO‘s. Since they don’t believe there’s anything wrong with it, I have absolutely no faith that they won't introduce GMO ingredients into Udi’s products. That is, if they keep making it at all.

leslieg Newbie
10 minutes ago, Joel K said:

Not to go too far off point, but I had that incredible sinking feeling when I saw that ConAgra bought Udi’s brand. ConAgra is just another word for Monsanto and GMO‘s. Since they don’t believe there’s anything wrong with it, I have absolutely no faith that they won't introduce GMO ingredients into Udi’s products. That is, if they keep making it at all.

Udis never has been organic, so there has always been glyphosate in their products. I hadn't known that Udis went to ConAgra but I agree that I no longer trust them. (Why would a gluten-free company DO that?)

WAIT -- are the breakfast biscuits also being discontinued? I get tired of other brands thinking that green peppers should be put into otherwise perfectly good gluten-free burritos. 

Rob S. Contributor

One more update and it is not reassuring for those of you concerned about ConAgra.

During my first call to CanAgra, where I was on hold forever, I used the ConAgra contact page to send a note. I was detailed in explaining the fact that certain frozen meals were no longer available anywhere. I asked for ConAgra to comment on the current and future availability of UDI's frozen meals, particularly the pasta dishes. I did not mention any other problems or issues.

I am happy to say that I did receive a response. The response, however, was not what I expected.

"Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to hear you had this experience with our UDIS Bread Product. We will be sharing the details you provided with our Food Safety and Quality experts, and want you to know your comments are important to us and will be taken seriously. Your feedback is very helpful to our team.

We are sending compensation your way via regular mail that is valid on a variety of our products. Please give us another try."

The downside is that the response was not even close to the topic of my email. I am not sure this bodes well for the future of the  Gluten Free lines at Udi's.

ON the plus side, it looks like I will get some free bread out of it.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Rob S. said:

One more update and it is not reassuring for those of you concerned about ConAgra.

During my first call to CanAgra, where I was on hold forever, I used the ConAgra contact page to send a note. I was detailed in explaining the fact that certain frozen meals were no longer available anywhere. I asked for ConAgra to comment on the current and future availability of UDI's frozen meals, particularly the pasta dishes. I did not mention any other problems or issues.

I am happy to say that I did receive a response. The response, however, was not what I expected.

"Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to hear you had this experience with our UDIS Bread Product. We will be sharing the details you provided with our Food Safety and Quality experts, and want you to know your comments are important to us and will be taken seriously. Your feedback is very helpful to our team.

We are sending compensation your way via regular mail that is valid on a variety of our products. Please give us another try."

The downside is that the response was not even close to the topic of my email. I am not sure this bodes well for the future of the  Gluten Free lines at Udi's.

ON the plus side, it looks like I will get some free bread out of it.

Most of their email is probably complaints about the big holes in the bread.  They haven’t figured out how to keep that from happening.