This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking for advice and answers on a few gluten free diet questions

zx820

zx820 Newbie

Hey all, this is my first post on here and I have a few questions regarding my symptomps and unclarity over weight loss after a dietary change.

So, to start, maybe roughly 6 months ago I noticed that whenever I ate pizza, the following day I would have fairly severe aches around my body, mainly in the long bones of arms and legs, it felt like throbbing ache that would be on my arms one moment, then switch to my shins and back to arms etc. At first I didnt know what it could be and had mild panic over the symptoms but after this occured again the next time I ate pizza I felt like i had made the connection.

I made the decision to go on a gluten free diet, and left out my 1 or 2 pizzas a month, and within maybe 2 weeks almost all aches from my arms and legs were gone. Does this sound like celiacs disease or gluten intolerancy? Normally I ate pasta almost daily and had some, mild aches which I was never really paying any attention to, but they seemed to get a lot worse after eating pizza.

My 2nd questions is in regards to the diet change, normally I would have pasta almost daily and was struggling to lose weight even though I ate smaller portions, after the switch my diet has remained pretty much the same, except that I switched pasta for white rice, portions are more or less the same too.

An example of what I normally might eat;
2 cups of coffee in the morning
one plateful (fairly large) of rice and some sauce on top which is normally tomato sauce and some red meat
1 banana and 3dl of jogurt a couple of hours before bed

Now, the strange thing is that I've lost a significant amount of weight without even trying, I would say roughly 10 kilos (22 pounds) in about a month and a half and it feels like its still falling off of me.

I am a fairly large man at almost 2 meters tall and previously weighed about 140kg

Can this extreme weight loss be explained by simply switching pasta to rice and also substituting a bowl of cereal for 1 banana and some jogurt?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi zx820,

Your digestion symptoms and pain could well be celiac disease.  Unfortunately to be tested for celiac disease you need to be eating gluten daily.  Two weeks for the endoscopy or 12 weeks for the blood antibodies testing.  Your weight loss seems excessive for a small change in diet IMHO.  But weight loss is common with celiac disease.  Celiac interferes with digestion and absorption of nutrients.  So people usually lose weight or stay slim.  Sometimes they gain weight but that is unusual.

Often people with untreated celiac have problems digesting dairy.  They may have lactose intolerance caused by the celiac damage to the small intestine.

zx820 Newbie

Thank you for the reply, I was wondering why I was losing weight so quickly and so much, I tend to monitor my weight fairly frequently so I would say with perhaps 90% certainty that the weight loss coincided with the change in my diet. Of course, it's not like rice is something that is effective for weight loss as far as I know. I could try to change my diet back to what it was and see if there is a change, but I dont really want to for obvious reasons. Any idea what else it could be?
I have thought about other illnesses as well, such as cancer but I dont think the weight loss would be that extreme, that quickly, especially considering I dont have any other symptoms that are unsual, nor am I feeling unwell, apart from the cold I got about a week ago that has since gotten better.

EDIT: After some research, it could be around 8kg in around 7 weeks, which would average close or around 1kg per week.

Edited by zx820
GFinDC Veteran

Hi zx820,

Since your symptoms improved when you went gluten-free, it seems pretty likely that you have a problem with gluten.  There are other things that could cause weight loss, but the symptom improvement after going gluten-free points to celiac disease or NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity).  Sometimes people with Crohn's disease improve on a gluten-free diet also.

Edited by GFinDC
zx820 Newbie

Hmm, I dont really have any symptoms that would indicate Crohn's disease. However, when I was on a diet consisting of gluten and if I ate a lot of foods with it, I would feel like I need the bathroom often, even though I didn't, I could make 5 or more trips during the day, most of them for nothing.

Could my diet change (even though it isn't the most radical) perhaps increase my metabolism? As I said before, pasta used to be in my diet, maybe even as much as 6 times a week. Also, I haven't really noticed any improvement in my stools, they are often loose, or what feels like a small amount, depending a little on what I eat, I have been associating this with anxiety / stress, which is what I experience quite a lot. Coffee, or lack of it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

For now, I try not to worry about the weight loss, as on 2nd inspection it did seem like it was over a longer period of time than what I initally thought (at least 6 weeks, maybe as many as 7), it just seems / seemed strange to me how easily it was coming off, without even trying. Although, admittedly, I had some to loose to begin with, and still do, maybe this plays a part in how quickly I have been losing it.

Edited by zx820
cyclinglady Grand Master

You can not diagnose celiac disease based on symptoms.  That is because the 200 or so symptoms overlap with many other illnesses.  If you suspect celiac disease, consider getting tested.  You must be on gluten for any of the celiac disease tests to work.  

Fast weight loss can be serious without significantly reducing your calories.    You should consult a doctor.  

Corinne D. Contributor

I experienced significant weight loss soon after going gluten free. I lost about 5 kg in one month. This may not seem so much as in your case, but I weighed 52 kg at the celiac diagnosis and ended up at 47 one month later. At the time, I read some explanations on several websites - sorry I cannot give a reference now - that it is only inflammation weight being shed. We celiacs are inflamed when we eat gluten, i.e. our tissues retain water, and this is eliminated when we take out gluten. To reassure you, I put that weight back on over the next year and a half. It took so long because I have been on a very limited diet due to other intolerances.

Speaking of intolerances and persisting GI symptoms after stopping gluten, you may want to vary your diet and try not to eat the exact same thing every day. As I was saying, celiacs can develop other intolerances after taking out gluten, especially to foods consumed every day over a long period of time.

But most importantly, I second the others' advice to see a doctor and get tested. This could be celiac, but might as well be some other autoimmune or inflammatory disease, even with unspecific symptoms. Doctors should know where to look, your health is too important to just make guesses about what might be wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Going to a doctor is good advice.  I suggest you write down what has happened with your health recently and give it to the doctor.  Include dates and symptoms or change in symptoms.  If you do an internet search for "celiac doctor (your city name)" you may find some ideas for good ones.  Some doctors don't know much about celiac disease.

zx820 Newbie

I have a doctors appointment on Monday, I'll bring this up, perhaps she will now about it and if not, maybe refer to someone else.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Phillus Maximus
    Newest Member
    Phillus Maximus
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      Thanks for drawing our attention to this, Scott.  I have no idea about this in the UK, I think I need to do some more homework!  
    • Wheatwacked
    • Wheatwacked
      Welcome hilly and Schellee94, and JulieF.      There is more to recovering from Celiac Disease than simply not eating wheat, barley, rye products. Ceilac malabsorption syndrome causes us to not absorb the nutrients we eat, so we imperceptively slip into malnutrition.   Children recover quickly.  Adults can take years because of unidentified vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  Top of the list is vitamin D, then Thiamine, then Choline, and Iodine. I, too, like Dr. Hyman.  Also Dr Davis (Wheatbelly) and Dr Amen.  While promoting gluten free, they are not dealing with the level of deficiencies brought on by the autoimmune malnutrition that comes with celiac disease.  You do not need a cleaning, Celiac has done that for you.  You do need agressive vitamin and mineral replenishment.  Those promoting cleanses do not take into account the malabsorption /malnutrition of celiac disease.   It will make you worse.  Your gut biome is changing and without the opiod effects of gluten you are not being numbed.  But you are not getting the vitamin and minerals you need to heal.  It is way higher than the mininmum RDA.  That is the amount it takes for 98% of the HEALTHY population to not show signs of deficiencies.  Good for food service meal plans to keep costs in check.  Healing takes more than sufficient. These are the vitamins and minerals I have taken.  At this point I daily take vitamin D, Iodine and thiamin.  Choline I bounce between phosphatidyl choline capsules and when my anorexia allows lots of eggs and beef. Try supplementing vitamin D, Choline, Thiamine and Iodine, while also ensuring vitamin B2,3, 5, and 12 intake.  Get your folate from food, not folic acid. Reducing homocysteine (cardiovascular inflammation) uses a DV of 500,000 micrograms of Choline, versus only 2.4 micrograms of B12,  400 micrograms of Folate and 1,700 micrograms of B6.  Avoid all processed food until you heal. Gluten Free included.  Eat the foods we ate before TV Dinners. Use sugar or fruit for sweetness, not High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Sugar breaks into glucose straight to the mitochodria to create ATP energy.  No glucose = no energy.  Everything else has to be processed by and overwhelmed malfunctioning digestive system of Celiac Disease.   Since 1970 in the US we have switched to HFCS, )even Schwepp's Ginger Ale), took idodine out of dough conditioner, adopted the modern wheat and limited eggs and meats.  In return, 50% of the US are obese vs. 17% in 1970. Additional likely deficiencies and what I take to boost my intake (I get anorexic at the drop of a hat so I take them to keep me stable):  the ones that helped me the most noticibly Was increasing vitamin D blood level to 80 ng/ml and Iodine to 650 mcg a day, Thiamine, Choline, and Iodine. 10,000 IU vitamin D to control autoimmune, improve mood, especially the winter doldrums (Seasonal Affective Disorder), bone and dental health.   Vitamin D Is Not as Toxic as Was Once Thought: A Historical and an Up-to-Date Perspective 500 mg Thiamine - neurologic symptoms, carbohydrate metabolism, subclinical beri-beri. Choline – Adequate intake 500 to 3000 mg - essential for fat digestion, gall bladder, liver, brain fog, cell membranes, prevent congenital spinal defects.   Could we be overlooking a potential choline crisis in the United Kingdom? Iodine – 1000 mcg of Liquid Iodine once or twice a day. United States RDA 150 to 1100 microgram (mcg) Japan RDA 150 to 3000 mcg. speeds up healing, muscle tone, brain fog, hair and skin, thyroid. 10 drops of Strong Iodine has 500 micrograms of elemental Iodine. Nori and Kelp. For some people with Dermetitis Herpetiformus, iodine can exasperate the rash. Iodine for Hormonal Health "Your ovaries also need iodine and without enough their structure changes. Iodine-deficient women can produce ovarian cysts and are at risk of developing PCOS." Vitamin B2 helps break down proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. It plays a vital role in maintaining the body's energy supply.  500 mg Nicotinic Acid - increase capillary blood flow, lower cholesterol.  Niacin Fact Sheet for Health Professionals 500 mg Pantothenic Acid - creates energy from glucose Krebs Cycle 1000 mcg B12 - creates hemoglobin for oxygen transport 500 mg Taurine - essential amino acid, a powerful antioxident that we make indogenously, but not enough when sickness increases inflammation. reduces Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS are are free radicals.). I've been using Zinc Glyconate (Cold-Eeze) since 2004 anytime I feel an itchy throat or other sign of air borne virus coming on.  I haven't had cold or flue, including Covid 19, since. Naturally fermented dill pickles reestablished lactobacillus in my gut and reversed my recently acquired lactose intolerance.  100% grass fed dairy is less inflammatory. Milk is a good source of iodine. Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids in Vegetables  Eating more of the vegetables low in omega six and high omega 3 can reduce inflammation while increasing vitamin and mineral intake..  The target omega 6:3 ratio is less than 3:1.  The typical western diet is from 14:1 to 20:1 because of our food choices.    
    • Julie F.
      I have dealt with celiac disease for over 22 years. I was then positively diagnosed with a blood test. I was pregnant with my second child at the time. I eliminated wheat (barley, spelt, etc..) from my diet and as a side benefit, I noticed that the psoriasis on my ankles, elbows and knees had gone away after about a year. I made the connection that eating wheat had been causing my skin problems as well as abdominal issues. Turns out that they are both autoimmune diseases of which inflammation is a symptom. I also deal with dupuytren’s contracture. Not sure if there is a relationship there… am studying that one. Flash forward to near present time and menopause, my psoriasis was coming back even though I was careful in avoiding gluten. I did a bit of research and found new information on the relationship of gut health and autoimmune disorders.  Understanding that my symptoms were somehow food related, I decided to see an ND… Nature Pathic doctor and we did a gut zoom.  This is where they test a sample of your poop to see how healthy your gut biome is.  I was seriously lacking in certain key vitamins, healthy prebiotic factors as well as beneficial bacteria.  I followed an elimination diet and discovered a new sensitivity to corn by-products which I am now avoiding and I follow a regime of supplements and healthy diet (eating a rainbow of vegetables and organic if possible) to help me have a healthier gut biome. The psoriasis is reducing in size and I am feeling better. I am thinking that a gut zoom would be one of the first places to start for anyone dealing with celiac disease… it took me twenty years to figure it out.  I personally believe that factors contributing to my autoimmune issues are due mostly to what I was exposed to. My parents were heavy smokers and I was continually on antibiotics as a child because of ear, nose and throat infections. Antibiotics destroy a healthy gut environment. There is also information indicating that herbicides with glyphosate… that most US farmers use at harvest time (wheat, corn, soy, potatoes…) can be detrimental to gut health as well.   Interestingly, we inherit our own gut health from our mother’s womb before we are even born.  Is this part of the source of our genetic disposition for celiac and possibly other inflammatory diseases? I think that increasingly, more research will be done as medical professionals are making connections to gut health and immunity diseases… reading medical research papers has been challenging, but very helpful. I suggest using credible medical research papers and professional and government agencies when studying up on this relationship, don’t just take my word for it, but I did find the results from my gut zoom to be an invaluable resource.
    • Schellee94
      I'm having the same issues. Many things are causing extreme bloat. I'm dairy-free gluten-free and I also have to avoid sugar, quinoa, millet, teff, buckwheat, nightshades, alfalfa, all grasses, and chia hurts my joints. Canned garbanzo hurts me. Most beans hurt me. If I make lentils I soak and rinse several times and that makes them edible for me. I seem to be avoiding fresh garlic and onion as well fresh onion gives me a headache. I'm ok on corn, but not most soy. Rice is sort of ok. Then gluten free oats are ok if raw (not cooked, overnight oats are a good choice) . The list keeps growing and so does the bloat. I'm the same weight I was 2 years ago and much bigger in my arms and my belly and back. I'm looking at trying Dr Hyman's cleanse suggestions, and having a good amount of steamed cruciferous vegetables, as a mainstay for awhile. But it's pretty pricey for organic. I've been making my own bone broth but I cook it a lot longer so that I can get nutrients out of the bones not just the meat. This broth has helped me tremendously even though I would prefer not to have much meat it seems I really need it right now. I cannot eat pork it makes me feel poorly and I can't eat very much red meat for the same reason. If the eggs are raised properly I can eat the yolks and only sometimes eat the whites.  I hope this is helpful to highlight some triggers you might be experiencing yourself. There are some other posts here on the forum that highlight digestive enzymes and clean probiotics, as well as lectins. I'm going to look into that.