This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pioneer gravy packet

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

I bought pioneer gravy packet from my local Kroger. It’s Sunday today so I cannot call the manufacturer of this company. I seen the packet had the certified gluten free symbol on it and I poured it into my crockpot. I went to throw the packet out and said I should look at the ingredients. I saw “autolyzed yeast extract” from what I remember from my nutritionist a few years ago she said look out for this ingredient it could be barley. Does anyone know if this is safe. If it’s certified gluten free? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NNowak Collaborator

This is what I found:

Yes, autolyzed yeast is gluten-free. Carefully read the label because, even though autolyzed yeast is gluten-free, “autolyzed yeast extract” is made from barley and is not gluten-free.

Yikes! Oh no. Yea it definitely says autolyzed yeast extract. I wonder how come they can get it certified by the GIG if they put this in the ingredients. That’s totally unfair. Guess I will just have to eat something else for dinner. Thanks for the response

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Hmm bit of a hit and miss thing GFWD had something else on another company using Yeast Extracts on stuff and had a news article on it. This is one of those things I would like to ask her to see about testing as it is in a odd grey area. You really should contact pioneer and request the source of the yeast extract. The grey area comes from yeast extract sometimes coming from brewers yeast from barley and barley is not in the top allergens and does not have to listed as a allergen. At least this is what I got from it.
https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/yeast-extract-confusion-made-worse-by-the-lack-of-manufacturer-transparency/

I hate grey areas lol. Ennis would this be enough to believe it’s safe? https://pioneerbrand.com/our-products/gluten-free/

mbrookes Community Regular

I thought the law was that to be marked "gluten free" the product has to test to under 20 ppm. In that case, it would be safe for all but the most extremely sensitive people. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Having a certified gluten-free label should insure that the products are around 10 ppm or less.  

https://www.verywellfit.com/certified-gluten-free-products-562767

I think that would assure you that the yeast used in this product is safe for celiacs.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

The rule is they can't label a product gluten-free if the ingredients started out as gluten grains.  That's why gluten removed beers can't be labeled gluten-free even though the brewers claim they are.  So your autolyzed yeast extract should be gluten-free by the rules.  Autolyzed yeast extract is a euphenism / another name for monosodium glutamate.  Yeast extract sounds less chemically and artificial than monosodium glutamate.  So they use the term to avoid putting off health conscious consumers.

NNowak Collaborator
Besides the limit of gluten to 20 ppm, the rule permits labeling a food “gluten-free, if the food does not contain:
  • An ingredient that is any type of wheat, rye, barley, or crossbreeds of these grains,
  • An ingredient derived from these grains that has not been processed to remove gluten, or,
Jul 16, 2018
kareng Grand Master

The website says they are using the GIG certification standards.  So it is tested at less than 10 ppm ( I think that’s GIG, you could check).  This appears to be a big company - not something you get at the farmers market .  I would think this is a very safe product.  

NNowak Collaborator

I never go along with the gluten-free labeling on a package for this specific reason. It may be safe to consume for most, but may also result in health issues for some. When a Celiac or NCGS is trying to heal, or prevent complications (ie. miscarriage) it is irresponsible to slap a gluten-free label on a product to target a segment of consumers. Fundamentally, I have an issue with the government deciding what’s safe for me and how a company can label a product. If it has any level of gluten in it, the product is not gluten-free. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, NNowak said:

I never go along with the gluten-free labeling on a package for this specific reason. It may be safe to consume for most, but may also result in health issues for some. When a Celiac or NCGS is trying to heal, or prevent complications (ie. miscarriage) it is irresponsible to slap a gluten-free label on a product to target a segment of consumers. Fundamentally, I have an issue with the government deciding what’s safe for me and how a company can label a product. If it has any level of gluten in it, the product is not gluten-free. 

But most labeled gluten free products are in fact gluten free.  This is based on the Gluten Free Watchdog Reports.  The GFW tests products that are requested by her subscribers.  It is like a tiny Consumer Reports.  The GFW takes no donations from any manufacturers.  The founder, Trisha Thompson has celiac disease and is a dietician.  She works with the FDA and reports any foods that she finds labeled gluten-free, but are not actually gluten free.  Over the years, over 98% (maybe it was 99%) of the products she has tested (labeled or just no gluten ingredients) to be gluten free.  The lowest number the test equipment can go is 5 ppm.  

I trust gluten free labels.  Do I purchase them?  Yes.  Do I use them all the time?  No, because I prefer non-processed or minimally processed foods.  But sometimes, while on the go and in a pinch, they are sure handy to have.  Twenty years ago, it was a real pain.  I did a lot of baking for my Hubby back then.  Not to mention that commercial processed foods were like cardboard.  Things have improved indeed!  

I consider myself to be very strict celiac.  It is because if my celiac disease flares, so do my other autoimmune diseases.  If I just had celiac disease, I might be a little more relaxed.  In know I sound like a broken record, but two years ago I had a celiac flare up (off the charts antibodies), the flu, a cold and a tooth infection.  I was a wreak.  I did not recover.  I had hives that erupted daily every afternoon.  My GI wanted to scope me, but I refused.  I went on the Fasano diet.  Finally, one year later, I had a repeat endoscopy.  Celiac disease healed.  I was doing a great job of avoiding gluten.  But gastric biopsies revealed autoimmune gastritis.  That was the cause of my misery.  I really have no control over other illnesses.  

Here is the kicker.  My antibodies were still very elevated the day that I had my repeat endoscopy.  Yet, my GI assured me that he went in deep and the magnification of his scope even revealed healthy villi as did the pathologist’s report.  Still trying to figure that one out.  But our research finds that all celiac research centers admit that the antibodies testing was only designed to help diagnose and not monitor diet.  

Not everything is due to celiac disease.

If a woman who has celiac disease is pregnant, I would encourage her to eating as few non-processed foods as possible.  I would encourage anyone to do this.  We eat way too many chemicals in my opinion.  Fake food.  

Would I buy this gravy mix?  Heck no.  Just the MSG is enough to make me cringe, but I would not worry about gluten.  I make gravy from scratch.  Just like my mom and grandmothers did.  Some drippings, add more butter, grease or oil (you can never have too much fat in my opinion), a little starch, seasonings (even as simple as salt and pepper), water (maybe) and cook it down.  Cast iron rocks!  

You just have to find your own way.  Believe me, I can be very paranoid knowing that those head-to-toe hives might come back.  Weeks of consuming mushy stew or soup is no picnic either.  I really trust all gluten free marked processed foods.   Scarier is trying to eat out.   The guy in the kitchen?  No way.  I worked in food service back in college.  Yikes!  (Reading reviews written by celiacs about a restaurant helps you make a safe and informed decision).  

I hope this helps! 

Yes our Gluten Free Products are made in a Facility that follow FDA guidelines- The production line is in a gluten free environment.

As for the Yeast Extracts-we would have to contact the supplier.

Seems legit. No worries right? Is there a need to follow up as far as the autolyzed yeast extract. I mean my roast is left overs now but for future reference. I don’t usually make things in packets. But I am busy for the holidays school kids work. You know the deal. 

kareng Grand Master
48 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Yes our Gluten Free Products are made in a Facility that follow FDA guidelines- The production line is in a gluten free environment.

Seems legit. No worries right? Is there a need to follow up as far as the autolyzed yeast extract. I mean my roast is left overs now but for future reference. I don’t usually make things in packets. But I am busy for the holidays school kids work. You know the deal. 

That’s an odd answer, isn’t it?  We follow guidelines, etc but don’t know what is in our ingredients?  

I got a gluten-free gravy mix - McCormicks i think.  Looks like it has “ yeast extract”.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
47 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

.....hey seen that before then low and behold it was spent brewers yeast, but also seen it come up to be safe. But how the hell do you not know the source of such a ingredient?!

I am paranoid and iffy with companies, but I also have a really random corn allergy and pretty severe whey allergy. I have to email and ask the source on everything then sometimes gamble on if the end product contains the offending proteins. (some stuff I use might be derived from corn but processed in a way that removes the proteins that trigger the allergic reaction I have, I find Erythritol is normally safe while fiber/starches are hit and miss if I react)

ON gravy, I would never use a packet, between unknown ingredients, fillers, and carbs not worth it. I normally make mine by tampering egg yolks into a simmered down base, or I use a bit of coconut flour sometimes both....but I can not have carbs. NOW my father still uses my old method to make the gravy for the community thanksgiving dinner and uses a bit of potato starch and mixes it in with the turkey drippings and chicken broth...heck they feed this gluten free gravy to 300-400 people each year and no one knows lol.

They emailed back with this response......

No barley present in their yeast extract. 

That was it. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

So safe to eat.  

Thank you!! 

• 4 years later...
Firechick1967 Newbie

I have very recently been diagnosed with celiac and just had the pioneer gluten-free gravy and had a bad reaction.  It is the only thing I e had in two days that wasn’t ‘natural’

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @Firechick1967, it might be too late for this but this article may be helpful: