This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mrs. Butterworth's Lite Syrup

lou37

lou37 Rookie

Hi-- I think I have found out the very hard way this contains gluten.  Anyone know for sure?  I have been gluten-free for 2 1/2 months --with great improvement---but not 100%.  2 hrs. after consuming this  I feel back to square one.  Hopefully for a very short time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
3 minutes ago, lou37 said:

Hi-- I think I have found out the very hard way this contains gluten.  Anyone know for sure?  I have been gluten-free for 2 1/2 months --with great improvement---but not 100%.  2 hrs. after consuming this  I feel back to square one.  Hopefully for a very short time.

What are the ingredients?  Last time I had it, it didn’t contain gluten - but that is probably a few years ago.  

lou37 Rookie

Ready? I'm not--probably should avoid anything wiyh a list this long===Water, corn syrup, cellulose gum,natural and artificial flavor, lactic  acid, molasses, salt,phosphoric acid, sorbic acid, sodium bensoate,aspertame, caramel color,acesuflame   potassium, sodium hexametaphosphate, contains sulfiting agents.  Contains  Phenylalanine.    I was about to say I can't believe I didn't read this before buying--but gluten wise I still wouldn't know.  Except ? caramel color?

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, lou37 said:

Ready? I'm not--probably should avoid anything wiyh a list this long===Water, corn syrup, cellulose gum,natural and artificial flavor, lactic  acid, molasses, salt,phosphoric acid, sorbic acid, sodium bensoate,aspertame, caramel color,acesuflame   potassium, sodium hexametaphosphate, contains sulfiting agents.  Contains  Phenylalanine.    I was about to say I can't believe I didn't read this before buying--but gluten wise I still wouldn't know.  Except ? caramel color?

It’s likely gluten-free.  But I have a problem with some of the artificial sweeteners - especially aspartame .  It’s gluten-free but it gives me pain and bloating - and pretty quickly, while in the stomach probably.  Gluten would take longer as it needs to be in the small intestine.

stuff like flavors or colorings could start as wheat but they are so highly processed they don’t have any gluten in them.  

I actually really like the flavor or real maple - you can get it for anywhere from a dollar more than Mrs. B to 12 times more!  ?.  My point being - it can be affordable - like Target brand

Edited by kareng
lou37 Rookie

Thanks for your replies.  Upon calling the company they were surprisingly non-committal.  When I asked about the caramel coloring ;  and cross-contamination  the response is you can never say for sure.    So ?    Something got me.  Also,   From everything I've read, and several friends with long standing celiac, gluten does not have to reach the small intestine before reactions occur  .  I would be interested in other people's reaction time to known gluten exposure.  

squirmingitch Veteran

Hey Lou, welcome to the board! I can't really answer your question about reaction time to gluten exposure b/c I have dermatitis herpetiformis - the skin presentation of celiac so things can be quite different for me. However, from spending many years here on the board, I can tell you it varies with the individual, with how long they have been gluten free, lots of different factors go into it & probably no one can say definitively as a hard & fast rule. 

However, I'm hoping to help you with your issue of Mrs. BW syrup. That is one heck of an ingredients list!!!! Especially for someone in the early part of healing. You've been gluten-free only 2.5 months. That's not long in the big scheme of things. At this point, your body can rebel to hundreds of things. We tell ppl to stick pretty much with Whole Foods for the 1st 6 months b/c of this. Beyond that, personally, even after all these years, I find corn syrup can really make me feel awful, just awful!!!!! Karen mentioned aspartame - many ppl have problems with that stuff.

Really, I think it's entirely possible that you got got by a highly processed food. 

Having said that, there are syrups out there that ARE gluten free. For limited ingredients there is Log Cabin All Natural. Also Log Cabin syrups are made by Pinnacle which is a division of ConAgra & ConAgra is a trusted brand for us. They will always state gluten ingredients in no uncertain terms. Same thing with Kraft products. Also, as Karen stated, there are Maple syrups out there that are reasonably priced.

I picked up this from one of the forum threads here on celiac.com:

I just got off the phone with a Log Cabin representative and she said that all Log Cabin syrups are now gluten free. They also clean the lines between products so there should be very minimal cross contamination.

It's the last post in this thread:

There is also information listed here:

https://allergeninside.com/foods/ingredients/043000000373/Log-Cabin-Syrup-Original

lou37 Rookie

Hi--and thank you.       I will be sticking to  foods with all or mostly natural ingredients.  I gave up on aspertame  a number of years ago to somewhat  lesson the volume of tinnitus I have--among other things.  Can't believe I didn't check that long list just for that.   Interesting--Pinnacle also makes Mrs Butterworth's.

Noticing your Dx list--I also have Rheumatoid Disease   and  Raynaud's.  Fun to add another autoimmune disease!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I also have issues with aspertame but it really seems to make me irritable and angry. I recall some saying that while it does not spike glucose it does spike insulin production.

For syrups I used to use Lakanto Maple but have moved to Good Dee's Maple (Amazon), when Lakanto reformulated with a monster list of ingredients, I can not have sugar/carbs.

squirmingitch Veteran
13 hours ago, lou37 said:

Hi--and thank you.       I will be sticking to  foods with all or mostly natural ingredients.  I gave up on aspertame  a number of years ago to somewhat  lesson the volume of tinnitus I have--among other things.  Can't believe I didn't check that long list just for that.   Interesting--Pinnacle also makes Mrs Butterworth's.

Noticing your Dx list--I also have Rheumatoid Disease   and  Raynaud's.  Fun to add another autoimmune disease!

You're welcome! How are you doing with the RA? May I ask what meds you're on for it & how that's working out for you? I am on Methotrexate - recently upped from 7.5 mg once a week to 10 mg. Doc says I can go up to 20 mg before we have to consider something else. 

As to the Raynaud's, I'm still struggling with how to control it. I'm about out of options other than trying heated gloves. Those hand warming packets didn't do me any good at all. Dressing in layers with much attention to keeping my core warm seems to be helping but not any kind of a guarantee. You have any suggestions?

lou37 Rookie
On 1/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, squirmingitch said:

You're welcome! How are you doing with the RA? May I ask what meds you're on for it & how that's working out for you? I am on Methotrexate - recently upped from 7.5 mg once a week to 10 mg. Doc says I can go up to 20 mg before we have to consider something else. 

As to the Raynaud's, I'm still struggling with how to control it. I'm about out of options other than trying heated gloves. Those hand warming packets didn't do me any good at all. Dressing in layers with much attention to keeping my core warm seems to be helping but not any kind of a guarantee. You have any suggestions?

On 1/7/2020 at 8:11 PM, squirmingitch said:

Hey Lou, welcome to the board! I can't really answer your question about reaction time to gluten exposure b/c I have dermatitis herpetiformis - the skin presentation of celiac so things can be quite different for me. However, from spending many years here on the board, I can tell you it varies with the individual, with how long they have been gluten free, lots of different factors go into it & probably no one can say definitively as a hard & fast rule. 

However, I'm hoping to help you with your issue of Mrs. BW syrup. That is one heck of an ingredients list!!!! Especially for someone in the early part of healing. You've been gluten-free only 2.5 months. That's not long in the big scheme of things. At this point, your body can rebel to hundreds of things. We tell ppl to stick pretty much with Whole Foods for the 1st 6 months b/c of this. Beyond that, personally, even after all these years, I find corn syrup can really make me feel awful, just awful!!!!! Karen mentioned aspartame - many ppl have problems with that stuff.

Really, I think it's entirely possible that you got got by a highly processed food. 

Having said that, there are syrups out there that ARE gluten free. For limited ingredients there is Log Cabin All Natural. Also Log Cabin syrups are made by Pinnacle which is a division of ConAgra & ConAgra is a trusted brand for us. They will always state gluten ingredients in no uncertain terms. Same thing with Kraft products. Also, as Karen stated, there are Maple syrups out there that are reasonably priced.

I picked up this from one of the forum threads here on celiac.com:

I just got off the phone with a Log Cabin representative and she said that all Log Cabin syrups are now gluten free. They also clean the lines between products so there should be very minimal cross contamination.

It's the last post in this thread:

There is also information listed here:

https://allergeninside.com/foods/ingredients/043000000373/Log-Cabin-Syrup-Original

I can't see how to just reply on here without repeating the whole previous .     For Raynaud's all I can do is many( at Least 2) glove layers--when I'm out for a while I have them large enough that I can alternate pulling my fingers out of the "fingers" and make a fist in the glove to warm them.  When it's really extreme they prescribe   hypertension drugs designed to relax blood vessel walls--increasing diameter.  Works for this also because it is vasculitis causing the small blood vessels to spasm and shut down.  I can't try that because my blood pressure is borderline too low already.         For RD--I have been on just about every drug and drug combo.    Mtx, Mtx + Enbrel, Humira, Simponi, just Enbrel , Leflunomide,    infusions--Orencia, Remicade, currently Actemra which is starting to fail  so I will have to add back MTX injections.  I couldn't tolerate more than 10-12 mg of oral MTX ever.

squirmingitch Veteran

If you wish to reply to just a certain aspect or part of a particular persons post, you click quote & reply & then you can delete the unwanted portions OR you can simply copy & paste the relevant portions from someones post. Then it will ask if you want to paste as rich text or plain text & you choose. Rich emphasizes it's not you speaking but you quoting someone.

I hope I made sense there. 

Ahh, thanks for the Raynaud's tips. I will have to get at least another pair of gloves. Ah, blood pressure meds. Thanks for that info. I actually had not read that anywhere. Makes total sense. I did read there is some surgery they can do but it didn't go into detail & it seemed tricky to me to do surgery on blood vessels that have to be tiny. I'm so sorry to hear the bp meds are not an option for you. Perhaps after you've been gluten-free for a year or so & healed, your bp will come up more into normal ranges. It's truly amazing the # of things that improve as you heal. things you never guessed were connected & even things you've been living with so long that you got to where you never think about them. Suddenly one day you catch yourself & realize that issue has vanished into thin air. 

I am truly devastated for you on the RA front! You've been the gamut of meds for sure. I don't want to give false hope but you may well find the RA greatly improves & there are fewer, less severe flares. I am wishing the very best for you.