This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is it possible to be sensitive only to barley?

boron

boron Rookie

I'm trying to figure out a case when someone who had mild "IBS" symptoms was positive for celiac by 2 tests: deamidated gliadin peptide IgG and transglutaminase IgA. After stopping drinking beer (barley), but continuing consuming wheat and rye, symptoms disappeared. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fenrir Community Regular

It's possible but unlikely. Just because you react strongly to barley doesn't mean you're not reacting to wheat and rye. You may still be having a reaction even if you aren't showing symptoms. 

Basically, those tests are for antibodies the body generally only creates as a response to gluten (for the most part) and there is gluten in wheat, barley and rye. So if you are positive for DGP you are most likely reacting to things that are in wheat, barley and rye. 

It's not always a good idea to judge if you can have things by if they make you feel sick or not. You can react and not feel it. 

Also, have you been diagnosed via biopsy? There are some people that have other health issues that come up positive on the blood tests that don't actually have celiac disease. It's rare, but could happen.

boron Rookie

It's not me, but someone raised the question, if the 2 tests mentioned (DGP and TT) are specific only for antibodies for gliadins (in wheat) or also for hordeins (in barley) and secalins (in rye). No biopsy or genetic testing has been done. At this point, it's a theoretical question.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I test positive to only the DGP IgA when exposed to gluten, yet biopsies revealed Marsh Stage IIIB damage.  When I was diagnosed, I was shocked because anemia was my only symptom.  There were other little symptoms that I learn to deal with like a milk (lactose) intolerance (actually tested positive for milk allegories when young) and garlic/opinion intolerance.  The lactose intolerance resolved once I healed, but not my garlic intolerance.  

Now, I do get GI upset (severe) after gluten consumption.  Go figure. I think my body just adapted over the years.  I was diagnosed 30 years ago with IBS, but that eventually resolved or again, my body adapted.  

Consider seeing a GI.  Find out the root cause of your symptoms.  

I was diagnosed with celiac disease when I went for a GI consult for a colonoscopy because I hit 50 years.  I was shocked that my GI even suggested celiac disease.  I told him I ate copious amounts of wheat and had no issues, but that I did with milk or garlic.  Two months after my celiac disease diagnosis?  Spontaneous fractures doing  NOTHING!  I had osteoporosis due to years of active celiac disease.  ?

Fenrir Community Regular

The test is for gliadin (gluten) antibodies. Howver, hordeins and secalins are very similar proteins, so much so the three (hordeins, secalins & gliadins) are referred to as "glutens".  They are so chemically similar that all three are detectable using the same tests. 

Wheat has a higher gluten content than rye and barley, rye having the least. 

It may be that wheat exposure creates a more noticeable reaction due to having twice as much gluten content as rye or barley but a celiac will react to all three and all three cause positive antibody tests. 

boron Rookie

OK, does anyone has any general or personal information how bad is beer for celiac disease?

Fenrir Community Regular
1 minute ago, boron said:

OK, does anyone has any general or personal information how bad is beer for celiac disease?

Anything with gluten in it is very bad for celiacs. The amount doesn't really matter. Most celiacs will get ill from drinking beer made from barley, simple as that. If you know someone with celiac or gluten sensitivity they should stop drinking it whether you're noticing a reaction or not. When I was still eating gluten it didn't make me feel sick when I was eating it, I just felt terrible all the time so it was hard to tell what was causing it. 

The longer I was gluten free, the stronger I would react to it. Now if I drink a beer with gluten in I will probably vomit within a few hours and feel terrible for at least a day and probably will have reflux for a month. However, before I stopped eating gluten I could drink a beer and not really notice anything but that was because I was already not feeling well to start with. Your reaction to gluten gets stronger the longer you're off of it in most cases. 

Bottom line is there is no degree of good or bad, any gluten for a celiac is bad. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Celiac disease is like a chameleon.  Symptoms wax and wane.  But do not be fooled into thinking damage is not occurring.  While cancer is a higher risk with untreated celiac disease (aka eating gluten), I think developing additional autoimmune disorders is much higher (i.e. Hashimoto’s, Type 1 diabetes (yes, adults can develop it), lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.)  When I went gluten free, my thyroid went back to normal size and my nodules went away.  Unfortunately, I developed osteoporosis just after my diagnosis because I was not absorbing nutrients even though I had no gut issues.  

I have three autoimmune disorders and am trying to prevent a fourth.  Celiac disease is systemic.  It damages way more than you think.  

Maybe you should see a GI and do a gluten challenge.  Then get biopsies.  Because you are not really sure you have celiac disease.  

And if you really miss beer, there are some good ones lie Groundbreaker that are gluten free.  The brewery is in Portland, OR.  Great place to go on vacation!  Lots of dedicated gluten-free restaurants!  My local liquor store carries gluten-free beer and they can order what you want too.  

Fenrir Community Regular

Yes, Burning Brothers make great gluten-free beer. The owner is a Celiac, they are so strict they don't even allow employees to bring lunches with gluten into the building. 

They have a taproom too and they serve other gluten-free goodies and they have a weekly gluten-free food truck. 

If you are anywhere near the Twin Cities it's worth a stop. Otherwise you might find their beers in stores.