This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flat stools

Pcsunshineone

Pcsunshineone Newbie

Last year I became very sick. After being tested, I am now gluten-free for the last four months. I have this ongoing issue of flat stools round on one side flat on the other.  I was wondering if anyone had or has this issue. Is it a gluten-free thing. Does not eating gluten cause this?  This is all new to me. I would like to add, and I have no blood or any other "odd" things in my stools. They are about normal size just round on one side and flat on the other. Thank you for your advice.  

Edited by Pcsunshineone
To add more information.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Eating gluten-free would not cause the shape of your stools to change. I'm not a doctor but I would think that could only be caused by a deformation in the rectum/anus such as might be caused by hemorrhoids, scar tissue or a growth of some kind in or around the area. Have you had a colonoscopy recently?

Pcsunshineone Newbie

I have not had one. I went to the GI doctor when I initially became sick and was told it's not my time for one; I am 40. At this time ( with this virus), my doctor's office is pretty much er only. Once they are back in regular operation, I will push for one. 

trents Grand Master

That is a good plan.

trents Grand Master

You said that last year you became very sick and was tested for Celiac Disease (I would assume) that prompted you to go gluten-free in your eating. Did the testing confirm you are a celiac? Did you have only the blood test done or did you get an upper GI to confirm villous atrophy? Did your illness improve after going gluten-free? I don't mean to be nosy but did your illness symptoms include GI problems?

Tenaciousdx Newbie
2 hours ago, Pcsunshineone said:

Last year I became very sick. After being tested, I am now gluten-free for the last four months. I have this ongoing issue of flat stools round on one side flat on the other.  I was wondering if anyone had or has this issue. Is it a gluten-free thing. Does not eating gluten cause this?  This is all new to me. I would like to add, and I have no blood or any other "odd" things in my stools. They are about normal size just round on one side and flat on the other. Thank you for your advice.  

I have this issue all the time.  And, had a colonoscopy last month.  I am all clear.  I also have IBS-C and hemorrhoids which are the most likely cause of this issue.  To combat it, take more fiber.  Metamucil sucks but it will help with this issue.

I recommend you get a colonoscopy first.  Assuming it is clear, then increase your fiber.  It will help. 

Oceans Rookie
On 3/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, Pcsunshineone said:

Sounds like, as is with many celiacs, bouts of constipation causing possible INTERNAL hemorrhoids( you wouldn't even know it). Very common. Try eating more brown rice and greens.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pcsunshineone Newbie
On 3/20/2020 at 10:19 AM, Tenaciousdx said:

I have this issue all the time.  And, had a colonoscopy last month.  I am all clear.  I also have IBS-C and hemorrhoids which are the most likely cause of this issue.  To combat it, take more fiber.  Metamucil sucks, but it will help with this issue.

I recommend you get a colonoscopy first.  Assuming it is clear, then increase your fiber.  It will help. 

Thank you! I will try Metamucil. Once it's okay to go to the doc, I plan on getting a scope. :)

Pcsunshineone Newbie
20 hours ago, Oceans said:

Sounds like, as is with many celiacs, bouts of constipation causing possible INTERNAL hemorrhoids( you wouldn't even know it). Very common. Try eating more brown rice and greens.

I started eating more rice this week. Fingers crossed I can get this under control. Thank you for your time. 

Pcsunshineone Newbie
On 3/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, trents said:

You said that last year you became very sick and was tested for Celiac Disease (I would assume) that prompted you to go gluten-free in your eating. Did the testing confirm you are a celiac? Did you have only the blood test done or did you get an upper GI to confirm villous atrophy? Did your illness improve after going gluten-free? I don't mean to be nosy but did your illness symptoms include GI problems?

I was sick for eight months, in significant amounts of pain and throwing up around the clock. I could not hold down any food whatsoever. I did the brat diet, and it became worse. I had two different blood tests done. I was told it would take up to a year for my stomach to heal or more. Within a week or just over that of a gluten-free diet, I started feeling much better. I now only feel nauseous when I get ahold of something with gluten in it. ( three times now ). I am hopeful I am on the path to healing both my throat and stomach. As far as the GI issue. I do have GERD. I am 5'7 and 133 pounds. I am fit, do not smoke or drink and pretty much eat a veggie and chicken diet now. I say now but I have never eaten junk food. (Just spicy foods coffee etc. ) I found out spicy and acidic foods were the cause of it. I have cut them out and sleep in an adjustable bed. I try to do all right, but I can be missing the mark somewhere. ?

• 1 month later...
Juca Contributor

I might have not understood your predicament exactly but... let me try to help. 

If your stool isn't completely flat, that leads me to conclude that the "round end" is probably harder that the "flat end". I have had problems with stools that started hard/normal and progressed to soft or even liquid. This happened when I was well into my gluten-free diet but still during the first year. 

My (also celiac) nutritionist said it was typical, that it happens when the stools pass too quickly through the intestine. That it usually is due to a higher FODMAP intake than it was usual on the previous gluten diet. Her advice was to reduce FODMAP intake for a while and slowly increase it. She also said not to go too crazy trying to eliminate it completely, as a gluten and FODMAP free diet is too restrictive and will drive you slowly nuts. 

Once again, I might have missed the issue here, but hope it helps somewhat.