This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canola Oil

Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne Apprentice

I think I've read on here before that some folks with celiac have had reactions after ingesting canola oil.

My four year old son usually does not eat any margarine of any sort on anything, potatoes, bread, etc., as he states he doesn't like it. But tonite we were having corn on the cob, and we put some margarine on his cob (out of habit) like everyone else's. There was no other food to have caused a cross contamination reaction for him. A while later he started to show his own typical symptoms of a reaction, the same as when he ingests wheat, only a little milder. The first ingredient on the margarine we used tonight was canola oil.

He also seems to react whenever he eats any type of potatoe chips. I have suspected the canola oil they are cooked in.

My question is, are those of you who react to canola reacting directly to the canola itself, or is all canola contaminated with wheat, as North American oats are?

I don't suppose it matters much which way it works, because the end result will boil down to avoiding canola in Logan's diet, either way. But I am curious to know whether he is allergic to more than one substance, or if it is just that insidious wheat sneaking in and polluting yet another food!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Terri-Anne Apprentice

I think I've read on here before that some folks with celiac have had reactions after ingesting canola oil. Is that accurate?

My four year old son usually does not eat any margarine of any sort on anything, potatoes, bread, etc., as he states he doesn't like it. But tonite we were having corn on the cob, and we put some margarine on his cob (out of habit) like everyone else's. There was no other food to have caused a cross contamination reaction for him. A while later he started to show his own typical symptoms of a reaction, the same as when he ingests wheat, only a little milder. The first ingredient on the margarine we used tonight was canola oil.

He also seems to react whenever he eats any type of potatoe chips. I have suspected the canola oil they are cooked in.

My question is, are those of you who react to canola reacting directly to the canola itself, or is all canola contaminated with wheat, as North American oats are?

I don't suppose it matters much which way it works, because the end result will boil down to avoiding canola in Logan's diet, either way. But I am curious to know whether he is allergic to more than one substance, or if it is just that insidious wheat sneaking in and polluting yet another food!

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Not sure why this appears so many times.

dkmb Newbie

While it doesn't say why, Whole Foods lists canola oil as not being recommended for Celiacs, as does this site Open Original Shared Link

If you have a nutritionist that works with you, you might ask why.

DK

Connie R-E Apprentice

We don't use canola oil. I've heard both that it is fine and that it is cross-contaminated... Either way, we avoid it.

Years ago, when I did eat it, it didn't agree with me. It did feel like a gluten reaction...

But, last month we ate several boxes of Panda Puffs--with canola oil--and we were all fine.

I'm leaning towards the cross-contamination theory. Maybe it will be okay, maybe it won't. <_<

Connie

• 3 years later...
starrs13 Newbie

HI. New here and just been celiac for 8 months now and i feel a million times better. that said, I too have noticed a reaction to canola oil...at least i am assuming that is it since i have been gluten free.

i just started using a canola, olive, soy oil mix and noticed my stomach would freak out a little, not as bad as if i had gluten, but bad enough.

last weekend i went to a friends for dinner and we r really careful about what we use ( i am also a vegan ). she had pure canola oil, which i usually dont use, and i was vomiting within the hour and was sick for a couple days.

I have always noticed i had a problem with fried foods - usually just when i go out since i dont usually fry a lot of stuff at home, and just always assumed i could not tolerate oils very well, but never thought it could be the type of oil i am using.

I will never use canola oil again and hope most restrauants dont use it.

kinda sux, just one more thing to worry about avoiding!

does any one know "why" celiacs should not have it? is it cross contamination or does it somehow have gluten?

lovegrov Collaborator

Canola oil does not have gluten.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rbh Apprentice

Was the tub of margarine that you used only used for gluten free food? Otherwise, maybe it was cross contamination with the tub of margarine itself -- if the tub of margarine is used to spread margarine on regular bread, then it is likely that small crumbs would end up in the tub.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well, I thought canola oil was safe too. From what I understand, the problem is cross contamination. I have read an articles about canola oil by Dr Mercola, he doesn't like canola oil, but does say it is safe. These 2 sites have different opinions:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I do not know what to think anymore. I haven't felt well for months now and I have been using canola oil mayo and butter w/ canola oil. Maybe it is a factor for me, yet not all celiacs.

Archived