This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Exercising Symptoms

laurenbrowwn

laurenbrowwn Newbie

Hi i’m new to this forum and not sure i’m even doing this right. I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain thats been a sharp burning and crampy feeling. (was previously believed to be endometriosis) Also having bloating and chronic nausea. These symptoms have been going on for nearly a year now and has disrupted my life. I use to be a D1 tennis player and now i can’t even walk. I’ve been gluten free for a month based on referral from doctor and a dietitian. Ive been feeling tons better! However i found i still can’t exercise. When i exercise, even the slightest half mile slow walk, i get the sharp abdominal pains and nausea again. I’ve noticed other people complaining of fatigue but i don’t have fatigue it’s just too painful to exercise and all i want to do is move around! Is this normal? Should i allow for more time before i can begin exercising? I appreciate all the answers and helpful articles! thank y’all :))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Most members report taking a year to heal.  Why?  The learning curve to the diet is steep and celiac disease is systemic.  It can affect many different organ systems bones, joints, liver, gallbladder, etc.) While it is good that you feel much better on the diet, you should give it more time.  

Did you have any celiac disease testing at all?  I ask because what if it is not celiac disease?  So many people report feeling better on a gluten free diet, but that can be attributed to eating healthier (less processed foods).  If so, you should go back to your doctor.  

While I had active celiac disease, I was still able to exercise.  But that is just me.  Something seems off.  

laurenbrowwn Newbie
5 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Most members report taking a year to heal.  Why?  The learning curve to the diet is steep and celiac disease is systemic.  It can affect many different organ systems bones, joints, liver, gallbladder, etc.) While it is good that you feel much better on the diet, you should give it more time.  

Did you have any celiac disease testing at all?  I ask because what if it is not celiac disease?  So many people report feeling better on a gluten free diet, but that can be attributed to eating healthier (less processed foods).  If so, you should go back to your doctor.  

While I had active celiac disease, I was still able to exercise.  But that is just me.  Something seems off.  

I really appreciate your answer!! I haven’t had any testing because we didn’t realize I needed gluten in my system for the testing and i was already a few weeks into gluten free diet and we didn’t want to disrupt my improving symptoms. My diet isn’t much healthier though, it’s mostly gluten-free pizza, pasta, salad and oatmeal really. 

When eating gluten me abdominal pain was so severe it would wake me up and keep me in bed all day and now on a gluten-free diet i can stand at work and be normally healthy! It’s just when i start walking it flares up immediately. We only could think of Celiac to fit my symptoms if you know of anything else it could be i’m open to suggestions. ! thank you again :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

I could have sworn my little teen niece had celiac disease like me.  Except it was firmly ruled out.  She went through 4 GIs.  The last ordered a pill camera.  They found damage from Crohn’s Disease out of the reach of both scopes.  Why share this?  You just can not make a diagnosis based on symptoms alone.  There are over 200 symptoms for celiac disease those those symptoms overlap with so many illnesses (IBD, cancer, etc.)

But it sounds like you are improving on a gluten free diet.  But you are making classic mistakes.  No celiac should have oats, even purity grown for at least six months.  You need to research and learn about cross contamination.  Are you making that pizza at home?  Or at a restaurant?  Yikes!  Unless it is a gluten free dedicated restaurant do not eat out until you are well and can handle the risk of a gluten exposure.  Eat real food!  Make sure you follow safe gluten free kitchen practices.  If you do have celiac disease, you need nutritionally dense food.  You should also be screened for vitamin deficiencies by your doctor.  

I hope this helps.  

laurenbrowwn Newbie
21 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I could have sworn my little teen niece had celiac disease like me.  Except it was firmly ruled out.  She went through 4 GIs.  The last ordered a pill camera.  They found damage from Crohn’s Disease out of the reach of both scopes.  Why share this?  You just can not make a diagnosis based on symptoms alone.  There are over 200 symptoms for celiac disease those those symptoms overlap with so many illnesses (IBD, cancer, etc.)

But it sounds like you are improving on a gluten free diet.  But you are making classic mistakes.  No celiac should have oats, even purity grown for at least six months.  You need to research and learn about cross contamination.  Are you making that pizza at home?  Or at a restaurant?  Yikes!  Unless it is a gluten free dedicated restaurant do not eat out until you are well and can handle the risk of a gluten exposure.  Eat real food!  Make sure you follow safe gluten free kitchen practices.  If you do have celiac disease, you need nutritionally dense food.  You should also be screened for vitamin deficiencies by your doctor.  

I hope this helps.  

Thanks for all the help! I do make my pizza from home and i eat gluten free oatmeal for cross contamination purposes. i haven’t heard of no oats for six months before. gluten free oatmeal is still bad? can i ask why?

thank you for all your help!! 

Edited by laurenbrowwn
cyclinglady Grand Master

Back in the day, oats were banned from the diet as some celiacs reacted to them.  Cross contamination in the fields, distribution and manufacturing was the main culprit,  but some celiacs react to oats no matter what.  Today some oats are grown in dedicated fields far away from wheat fields.  Some celiacs do well with those purity oats.  Then not too long ago, General Mills came up with optical sorting.  Some celiacs report getting sick.  Some are okay with it.  So, to be safe, better to avoid oats until you are well and then experiment.  

knitty kitty Grand Master

Have you been checked for vitamin and mineral deficiencies?  

Thiamine deficiency can cause fatigue....

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/acm.2011.0840

Thiamine deficiency can also affect the nerves going to the intestines and can cause nausea, bloating, gastroparesis (the delayed emptying of the intestinal tract) and gall bladder problems.

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/thresholds-and-tipping-points-in-thiamine-deficiency/

And....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2012043

Gluten free processed foods are not enriched with vitamins like their gluten containing counterparts.  However, you still need vitamins like thiamine to digest them.  Look into the AutoImmune Protocol diet (AIP diet) or the less strict Fasano diet.  I prefer the AIP diet which helped me heal. 

Discuss with your doctor or nutritionist any dietary changes and supplementation.

Hope this helps! 

5 hours ago, laurenbrowwn said:

Hi i’m new to this forum and not sure i’m even doing this right. I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain thats been a sharp burning and crampy feeling. (was previously believed to be endometriosis) Also having bloating and chronic nausea. These symptoms have been going on for nearly a year now and has disrupted my life. I use to be a D1 tennis player and now i can’t even walk. I’ve been gluten free for a month based on referral from doctor and a dietitian. Ive been feeling tons better! However i found i still can’t exercise. When i exercise, even the slightest half mile slow walk, i get the sharp abdominal pains and nausea again. I’ve noticed other people complaining of fatigue but i don’t have fatigue it’s just too painful to exercise and all i want to do is move around! Is this normal? Should i allow for more time before i can begin exercising? I appreciate all the answers and helpful articles! thank y’all :))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Actually two years seems to be the norm for recovery:

but be sure to explore additional food intolerance, and be sure your diet is 100% gluten-free. If you eat out consider AN-PEP enzymes.

laurenbrowwn Newbie
12 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Have you been checked for vitamin and mineral deficiencies?  

Thiamine deficiency can cause fatigue....

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/acm.2011.0840

Thiamine deficiency can also affect the nerves going to the intestines and can cause nausea, bloating, gastroparesis (the delayed emptying of the intestinal tract) and gall bladder problems.

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/thresholds-and-tipping-points-in-thiamine-deficiency/

And....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2012043

Gluten free processed foods are not enriched with vitamins like their gluten containing counterparts.  However, you still need vitamins like thiamine to digest them.  Look into the AutoImmune Protocol diet (AIP diet) or the less strict Fasano diet.  I prefer the AIP diet which helped me heal. 

Discuss with your doctor or nutritionist any dietary changes and supplementation.

Hope this helps! 

thank you for the advice!! very helpful :)

35 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Actually two years seems to be the norm for recovery:

but be sure to explore additional food intolerance, and be sure your diet is 100% gluten-free. If you eat out consider AN-PEP enzymes.

thanks for the tip! two years?? yuck! :)

knitty kitty Grand Master

Think of it as Celiac University.  You'll be learning about the gluten free diet, how to function in social situations (so many are based on eating), and how to cope with the stress of it all (it's a big lifestyle change).  

This forum is a wonderful place to come for information and support!  I've gotten so much out of it and I hope you will, too! 

Posterboy Mentor
On 4/22/2020 at 7:08 PM, laurenbrowwn said:

Laurenbrowwn,

You have the first signs of Gastric Beri Beri...see this research that explains it...entitled "Gastrointestinal beriberi: a forme fruste of Wernicke's encephalopathy?"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29982183

quoting their summary conclusion

"We suggest that a suspicion for gastrointestinal beriberi should arise if gastrointestinal symptoms (anorexia, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain) are refractory to the usual therapies."

these symptom's are refractory (have not gone away) despite going gluten free....CARBs ferment...

Thiamine regulates the production of Acetlycholine in the body which can lead to low stomach acid.....

Which is why you have intense bloating, nausea and abdominal pain (carbs swell, ferment)...you can't even finish your meal probably...

I had the same problem as kid....I remember eating some pizza (before being diagnosed as a Celiac) before a Basketball practice....and thought I would  never finish the practice...that was the last time I ate CARBS again before a practice...

Try the Baking Soda test for low stomach acid....this article explains it well....

https://drjockers.com/5-ways-test-stomach-acid-levels/

I think you will be surprised what your results are...

Take some BetaineHCL with a meal and a couple glasses of water (always with a liquid) and if it improves your bloating....then you have found your answer.

I must stop for now....as always  I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,