This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Stress Aggravate Celiac Symptoms?

shellbean

shellbean Apprentice

Does anyone know if stress can aggravate celiac symptoms? I haven't been diagnosed with celiac yet and I haven't started the gluten-free diet. I work in a very high stress job and my symptoms are 10 times worse when I work or come home after a very stressful day. :( I was told I had IBS and severe acid reflux and I know those symptoms are most definitely triggered by stress but I wasn't sure if it had the same effect on celiac. Did any of you find it hard to hold a job when you noticed you had become sick? I am having the worst time and have been looking for a new job that is less stressful. If I change jobs and start the diet, maybe I'll be on the road to recovery!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Stress can aggravate any physical problems. Once you're gluten-free and healed (that is if you have celiac), stress by itself wouldn't cause real symptoms, although it might still make you sick in other ways.

richard

CMCM Rising Star
Does anyone know if stress can aggravate celiac symptoms? I haven't been diagnosed with celiac yet and I haven't started the gluten-free diet. I work in a very high stress job and my symptoms are 10 times worse when I work or come home after a very stressful day. :( I was told I had IBS and severe acid reflux and I know those symptoms are most definitely triggered by stress but I wasn't sure if it had the same effect on celiac. Did any of you find it hard to hold a job when you noticed you had become sick? I am having the worst time and have been looking for a new job that is less stressful. If I change jobs and start the diet, maybe I'll be on the road to recovery!! :D

Absolutely! Stress can mess up anyone! THis is why you need to find a way to decompress at the end of the day....yoga, exercise, something physical to release the pent up energy from the stress. :)

heli Newbie

Also, what are you eating when you are stressed? Maybe you are over indulging in those refined grains? Acid reflux & IBS are celiac symptoms not just stress. The gluten free diet is inconvenient but "nothing tastes like feeling good!" I've been gluten free for 2 years and it is the best health choice I ever made.

shellbean Apprentice

Thanks for the replys. I am noticing that my symtoms are worse a couple days after I've eatten something with pasta in it or if I've had whole wheat bread. For about a week now my hip has been hurting really bad. I haven't done anything to it but it justs hurts to move or sit or stand and I'm only 33!. I had read that celiac can cause bone and joint pains too. I want to start the diet but I don't even know where to begin. I was in the grocery store just looking at labels on stuff and everything I pick up had some sort of wheat in it. It seems overwhelming and I don't even know how to determine what all contains gluten. (By the way, I ended up leaving my job because of the stress and I feel a little better already! :)) I am anxious to start the diet. I think that will help tremendously. Best of health to you all!!

CMCM Rising Star
Thanks for the replys. I am noticing that my symtoms are worse a couple days after I've eatten something with pasta in it or if I've had whole wheat bread. For about a week now my hip has been hurting really bad. I haven't done anything to it but it justs hurts to move or sit or stand and I'm only 33!. I had read that celiac can cause bone and joint pains too. I want to start the diet but I don't even know where to begin. I was in the grocery store just looking at labels on stuff and everything I pick up had some sort of wheat in it. It seems overwhelming and I don't even know how to determine what all contains gluten. (By the way, I ended up leaving my job because of the stress and I feel a little better already! :)) I am anxious to start the diet. I think that will help tremendously. Best of health to you all!!

One thing I had too was the hip pain...my left hip. It came and went, but I think now without gluten it's getting better.

As for the diet, I am struggling with that too, but for some food items you just go back to square one. It's obviously that you will no longer eat the usual breads, pasta, crackers, coookies. If bread is important to you, find the gluten free ones that you like well enough to keep eatintg them. Find passable pastas...the rice ones probably. There are some which, after you get the sauce on them, really can taste similar to wheat pasta. There are gluten free cookies, crackers, chips, and so on. Go to health food stores....they tend to carry some gluten free items, mixes etc. Some stores carry more than others.

I think in terms of packaged foods, you just take items one by one. Mayonnaise, for example. Some have gluten related ingredients, others do not. If mayo is something you use, find one that is suitable. Same for catsup, ice cream, yogurts, whatever.

My mom was diagnosed almost 40 years ago, at a time when there were no support groups and virtually NO specialty gluten free products, and labeling on foods was inferior or incomplete. But she figured it out, and she now tells me that she just knows what to buy, she reads labels, and really doesn't let celiac disease occupy too much of her time. It just "is" and you work with what's out there.

You're only 33, but look at it this way: celiac will probably put you into a healthier, better way of eating for the rest of your life, and when you metabolism shifts in your late 40's early 50's you will probably be thinner and in better shape than others you know because they'll be stuffing themselves with too much pizza, too many cookies/chips/crackers/donuts etc, and they'll be getting all the diseases that come with overweight and bad eating: arthritis, diabetes, heartburn, digestive woes, etc etc. But you'll look and feel great! My mom is 85 and NO ONE thinks she's more than about 65 or 70. Her health is great, her mind is perfect, she has no real health problems if she stays away from gluten! :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yes. Stress has a profound physiologic effect on the body, and the digestive system is one place where it has the largest effect. I would encourage you to investigate what stress reductions techniques work for you. If your job proves too stressful such that it has a huge negative impact on your health, that may be indicative of the need for a career change, but you may find that common stress reduction techniques (cognitive modification, meditation, exercise, etc.) are sufficient.

Hehe! I should have read all the way through. :-)

The easiest place to begin on the diet is with whole, naturally gluten free foods - all the produce, meat, dairy, eggs. beans, and gluten-free grains you like. There's an awful lot you can make with all that food, and starting simply not only makes it easier to figure out what to buy, but reduces the risk of cross contamination and makes it easier for you to focus on foods that are easy on your digestive system.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor
My mom was diagnosed almost 40 years ago, at a time when there were no support groups and virtually NO specialty gluten free products, and labeling on foods was inferior or incomplete. But she figured it out, and she now tells me that she just knows what to buy, she reads labels, and really doesn't let celiac disease occupy too much of her time. It just "is" and you work with what's out there.

I love your mom's take on this!

Try going completely back to basics for a while. By that I mean no processed foods, just meat, veggies, and fruit. That will give your body the nutrients it needs, and time to heal. For many celiacs, dairy is a problem, so you will need to diet-test that for yourself. You have already noticed that you feel bad after eating wheat, now you need to stop eating it and watch for improvement. I am glad you got out from under your stressful job, and I hope you find a better one soon!

shellbean Apprentice

You guys are amazing!!! :lol: I am very new to this message board and I am just blown away at how everyone is so eager to help. I am so happy to have found you! Just reading all the replys and such has given me the biggest encouragement and has made me excited to know that there is help and ways to make this all better. I am very glad I have a place to go where I can talk to people that KNOW! It's day 2 since I quit my job and the stress has lifted tremendously! I already have a couple interviews lined up for next week so I know it will all be okay. I'm going to look into relaxation techniques (I know those wouldn't have helped at the job I was at! That job was HOPELESS! LOL!!) I think stress was a huge part of my problem. Hip still hurts pretty bad but I notice that it hurts worse after I eat....hmmm.....I see a connection! ;) Diet----here I come!! :lol:

Guest nini

I was 33 when I was dx'ed... It's almost 3 years now and I've lost 100 pounds and feel better than I have my entire life. I do still have some lingering health issues, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's getting better. I came very close to losing my job because of my illness. But once I started getting healthier on the gluten-free diet, I was able to deal with the job easier... I did have to cut my hours back and go to part time and I'm glad I did that even though the finances suffered a bit! So I do know a bit about having to do this diet on a tight budget! We are all here to help and be helped... to learn from one another! This is the best online support group!!!

shellbean Apprentice
I was 33 when I was dx'ed... It's almost 3 years now and I've lost 100 pounds and feel better than I have my entire life. I do still have some lingering health issues, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's getting better. I came very close to losing my job because of my illness. But once I started getting healthier on the gluten-free diet, I was able to deal with the job easier... I did have to cut my hours back and go to part time and I'm glad I did that even though the finances suffered a bit! So I do know a bit about having to do this diet on a tight budget! We are all here to help and be helped... to learn from one another! This is the best online support group!!!

Just had to tell you this.....I just found out from a coworker that had I not quit my job on Friday, my boss was going to write me up or terminate me for having "excessive absenses". Even though I have doctor notes and hospital admittance notes for all my absenses. I wasn't out that much except when I had my gallbladder surgery (I was out 3 weeks). But other than that i was only out here or there for testing and doc appts. All I can say is I'm glad I beat her to it! Heehee!! :lol: Told you it was a stressful job! ;) Oh and a big CONGRADULATIONS on the super weight loss!

Guest nini

Thanks Shelly... my boss told me too that he was going to have to let me go because he needed someone dependable, and there were too many days where I had to leave after lunch because I couldn't stay out of the bathroom... once I had my dx and knew what the answer was he was more supportive of letting me stay. Especially now that he sees that I don't get sick nearly as much! I can't remember the last time I had to take a sick day!

Archived