This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Best Rice Flour To Cook With

MallysMama

MallysMama Explorer

I have recently discovered all the many kinds of flours that health food stores carry. I have tried their rice flour and it doesn't even compare to the kind I've used all my life. My parents found a little Japanese food store when I was little and bought their rice flour by the case. To this day (though my family no longer lives near there) - if my dad goes back in to get flour for me - they remember him! I'm not sure if any japanese food store would sell the same flour - but it is so perfect! The flour is as fine as regular white flour - if not more....so it cooks things so much better. It comes in clear white bags with red japanese writing on it. If I were you - I'd try looking for it if you like to bake!

Also- another tip, I'm not sure if anyone knows about : When baking with rice flour - use Xantham Gum (about 1 tsp per 1 cup of flour). It helps to hold the baked item together better!!

-The absolute best thing I have ever had that is gluten free - Zucchini Bread!! So many gluten free baked products are so dry and yucky tasting...but this homemade bread is moist and delicious! Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll see if I can find it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sweet rice flour is definitely the way to go - and seems to be what I usually see in asian markets...

mouse Enthusiast

May I please have the recipe for the zucchini bread. Thank you.

I use the sweet rice flour to coat chicken, etc. before frying. My non celiac husband just loves it.

hez Enthusiast

I read in the Gourmet gluten-free baking article (last fall) that Authentic Foods makes a rice flour that is finely ground. Unfortunately I cannot find it. I am going to have to order online.

Hez

MallysMama Explorer

Zucchini Bread Recipe:

1 c. sugar

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. oil

3 c. rice flour (leveled - don't heap)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 3/4 tsp xantham gum

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

2 c. finely grated zucchini

Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and mix lightly. Combine wet ingredients and mix - then add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.

Mix powdered sugar, melted butter and vanilla (not sure amounts - experiment till runny consistency) for glaze. Pour over loafs while they're still warm.

Enjoy!!!

By the way - correction - it's 3/4 tsp of xantham gum to every 1 cup of rice flour! (I found the amount written on one of my recipe cards.)

Here's a yummy brownie recipe too. (I had no idea you could buy brownies in a box till I went to college and my roomies made them that way! They looked so gross compared to my gluten-free homemade ones!)

4 eggs

2 c sugar

1 c. oil

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

10 Tbsp cocoa

1 1/2 c. rice flour (scoop low - don't heap)

1 tsp. xanthum gum

Bake 30 min. at 350 degrees in greased 9x13 pan.

Hope you enjoy them!

Archived