This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

L glutamine

Joepilk34

Joepilk34 Newbie

I recently bought l glutamine pills 1gram per pill and was wondering if it should help with inflammation due to my gluten sensitivity 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Do you have gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease? They aren't the same thing.

Joepilk34 Newbie

I been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity 

trents Grand Master

Not trying to avoid answering your question but how were you diagnosed? What tests were run?

Joepilk34 Newbie

In 2018 i had blood work and a Endoscopy done and the doctor said i had gluten sensitivity but not celiac 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Many on this forum have taken L-glutamine to help repair their gut, although that trend was more popular 5-10 years ago. I believe there is some research that backs up that it helps lower gut inflammation and speed healing. The current new hot supplement for celiacs might be tryptophan, as recent studies have shown that it also helps with gut recovery.

trents Grand Master
20 minutes ago, Joepilk34 said:

In 2018 i had blood work and a Endoscopy done and the doctor said i had gluten sensitivity but not celiac 

So I take it the blood work was positive but the endoscopy was negative? What symptoms do you have?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Joepilk34 Newbie
5 minutes ago, trents said:

So I take it the blood work was positive but the endoscopy was negative? What symptoms do you have?

Yep exactly. And for instance i try my best to stay gluten free but i messed up and had a wheat sandwich and the lower right side of my stomach started to be inflamed and my anxiety and brain fog happened almost 5 minutes after  but mainly if i accidentally eat gluten i will feel inflammation/anxiety  which will last about a day depending on how much i eat .but the blood work showed i was Celiac but than the doctor who did the endoscopy said he only saw gluten sensitivity 

15 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Many on this forum have taken L-glutamine to help repair their gut, although that trend was more popular 5-10 years ago. I believe there is some research that backs up that it helps lower gut inflammation and speed healing. The current new hot supplement for celiacs might be tryptophan, as recent studies have shown that it also helps with gut recovery.

Thank you for the response i will be looking into tryptophan

trents Grand Master

I'm skeptical that you have gluten sensitivity and not celiac disease. If the doc who did the endoscopy saw anything abnormal at all I'm not sure how he would distinguish between gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. Do you know if he took a biopsy and sent it off for analysis? All the symptoms you describe are common to celiac disease. We have a number of forum participants with positive blood work but negative biopsies who were diagnosed with celiac disease. This can happen when there hasn't been enough time between onset of the disease and the endoscopy/biopsy to produce obvious damage to the small bowel villi. It can also happen when the doc doing the endoscopy/biopsy fails to sample the right areas of the bowel or doesn't do it thoroughly.

Joepilk34 Newbie

Last thing that i know the doctor said was that it was gluten sensitivity but he said it also could be that i was already on a gluten free diet .its very frustrating because it seems like the two doctors were saying two different things and i feel like i still don’t know for sure .i weigh a lot less than i did before my symptoms happened years ago and i really want to start to heal but i get overwhelmed trying to think which doctor was right or wrong but assuming i have celiac would L glutamine help ?

trents Grand Master

The only thing to do is try the L glutamine and see if you feel better. But you shouldn't have to take anything like that if you are consistent in eating gluten free. If you are scrupulous about avoiding gluten then the gut will heal itself. If you are inconsistent in avoiding gluten it won't. Whether or you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, the antidote for healing is the same, totally avoiding gluten.

ch88 Collaborator

There isn't anything that is known to fix or reduce Celiac disease symptoms. There are a few things out such as digestive enzymes and glutamine may be useful for accidental minor cross contamination. The problem is people with celiac disease are sensitive to extremely small amounts of gluten (like even a couple crumbs is enough to damage the intestine) . Some things may mask the symptoms but the autoimmune reaction is still taking place. 

You can request a copy of your blood work test and post the numbers on here. There are different blood tests and it may be useful to get the full panel if you have not. Wheat should be eaten right up till the biopsy was taken. If you were on a gluten free diet when the biopsy was taken that can give a false negative result. 

Either way I would pay a lot of attention to the positive blood result and avoid eating any gluten.

Can you use glutamine to help with occasional accidental gluten exposure if you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity or have Celiac disease? Yes I think it is very likely to be helpful but I don't know for sure. Right now I take about four grams of glutamine, several times a day along with about 200 mg of theanine. There is a lot of information about glutamine and theanine supplementation helping with cell growth and inflammation in the intestine. Glutamine and theanine have a synergistic effect from what I have read.