This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Yummy!

MallysMama

MallysMama Explorer

Well, we went to our anniversary dinner at the Stratosphere Tower here in Vegas! I cannot even describe how good the food was (not to mention the amazing view)!! I was tempted to call them beforehand and get the low-down on the ingredients - but I just didn't want to be different, I guess. So anyway - I ate every last bite of my heavenly dinner. So far - I'm just a little gassy but not hurting at all. Maybe, just maybe, I'm safe?? Does anyone know what a bernaise sauce has in it? I wasn't too fond of that...so I just had a little. Everything else seemed pretty safe. The salad had a vinaigrette (raspberry, I think) on it... so I figured that was probably okay. I tasted my hubby's lobster bisque (though I don't think that was safe to eat)....didn't love it so one bite was plenty for me. The baby potatoes, asparagus and artichoke heart didn't seem covered in anything harmful. And though I'm not sure what kind of seasonings they put on the steak (chateau briand?) ....I didn't figure that would hurt me either. From what I've listed - does anyone know for a fact that anything I ate was a "no-no"? I hope not...it was sure yummy - and we paid a lot for it... I'd rather not pay again in another way! ;) I'm trying my hardest not to cheat - but if I did tonight, maybe it'll mark my last day and I'll make a new start tomorrow! Cheers to healthy eating habits! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Any of that could have had gluten in it. You can't put ANYTHING in your mouth unless you KNOW it doesn't have gluten. "probably" can get you intestinal damage just as easily as anything else, and isn't worth the risk. the bernaise sauce could well have had gluten to thicken it, the vinaigrette could have had modified food starch as a thickener, the bisque almost certainly had flour in it, and the seasonings on the vegetables may have been suspect. You can't know for a fact if something is safe or unsafe unless you ask for the ingredients because ingredients vary all the time.

jenvan Collaborator

I agree with Tiffany, chances are that you did get gluten in that meal. Don't worry about being different, everyone is "different" sooner or later! It is the job of the folks in the restaurant to prepare something you can eat. They are there to serve, so don't be embarassed and ask up. I know you talked about having some issues with feeling different in the past, on your other thread. Needing a special meal doesn't make you any less of a person, or make you weird. Everyone has got something that makes them different--it is the spice of life! It may feel like a big deal asking for it in the beginning, but really, needing a meal that's safe really isn't such a big thing. And I usuallly find that we can set the tone with how others respond to our Celiac. Taking a matter-of-a-fact, this-is-just-my-life, not-a-big-deal attitude, will encourage others will follow suit. ...Whether we are in a large or a small group of people. Restaurants get people asking for that all the time. PS, there are also quite a few restaurants that have gluten-free menus, so try those too. Do make this your turning point! For yourself, your daughter and husband... Try and see if you can turn the situation around in your head. Get involved...know that everytime you ask for safe food you may be making it easier for another Celiac to get their meal in the future. Give yourself a chance to live a long and healthy life ;)

Guest nini

another thing to keep in mind is that fancy restaurants with a chef are actually easier to get a safe meal, yes it takes a litte explaining, but even if you don't have a chance to call ahead of time (which I recommend you do) is ask your server if you can speak to the chef, if they ask why tell them you have special dietary restrictions. When the Chef comes out, you should be able to explain it fairly quickly, especially if you carry a dining card with you. There are many sites where you can order them or print them out, or you can make your own. I've heard the Triumph dining cards are the best. Anyway. Your chef should be able to easily prepare you a special meal AND you may find that you get treated even more like royalty! Just be very sweet and humble about your requests (unless they give you a hard time, then leave) and you should be able to dine out at fancy places quite easily.

Also, I know you said on your other thread that you don't have many of the chain restaurants in your town that have gluten-free menus, but you CAN start calling local restaurants and talk to the chef/cook there. Try calling when they are not busy, after lunch rush and before dinner... and just ask if they can accommodate your dietary requirements. The worst they can say is no.

You do though absolutely have to start asking about ingredients in things, you can't just assume that something is safe. And while you may not be noticing visible symptoms, it only takes a molecule of gluten to continue doing damage to your intestines.

Yes this is a turning point. You can be more assertive about your needs. Your mother did it for you for years, now it's your turn. You CAN do it! I know you can!

jenvan Collaborator

Oh, ps--so you live in Vegas? Last time I was there, Olives made me a gluten-free meal (Bellagio). Also ate at PF Changs and know there is an Outback there too--gluten-free menus at both. PS--Have you cked out the LV Celiac support group? If not, I think it might be a good help for you: Open Original Shared Link

Archived