This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hotdogs

Daphne do

Daphne do Collaborator

I have severe celiacs I am super sensitive I can not handle more then 5 ppm of gluten so even if it says gluten free I still can not just eat it so I was hoping some one was as sensitive as means you could tell me what kind of hot dogs you eat ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GodsGal Community Regular
17 hours ago, Daphne do said:

I have severe celiacs I am super sensitive I can not handle more then 5 ppm of gluten so even if it says gluten free I still can not just eat it so I was hoping some one was as sensitive as means you could tell me what kind of hot dogs you eat ?

Hi Daphne,

I don't know if I am as sensitive as you. However 20 ppm is WAY too much for me. So far, I have done best with Applegate Farms (I think that they are certified to 10 ppm), and boar's head (not certified, but seems to be very gluten/allergy aware). 

I don't know if this information is helpful or not. Keep us posted!

Scott Adams Grand Master

I am not sure if there is even a test that accurately measures gluten content at 5 ppm levels or lower, but in general, Hebrew National have been considered naturally gluten-free for over 20 years, and I've not heard of complaints about this brand containing any gluten:

https://www.hebrewnational.com/kosher-beef-franks/beef-franks 

Daphne do Collaborator
2 hours ago, GodsGal said:

Hi Daphne,

I don't know if I am as sensitive as you. However 20 ppm is WAY too much for me. So far, I have done best with Applegate Farms (I think that they are certified to 10 ppm), and boar's head (not certified, but seems to be very gluten/allergy aware). 

I don't know if this information is helpful or not. Keep us posted!

Thank you 

16 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

I am not sure if there is even a test that accurately measures gluten content at 5 ppm levels or lower, but in general, Hebrew National have been considered naturally gluten-free for over 20 years, and I've not heard of complaints about this brand containing any gluten:

https://www.hebrewnational.com/kosher-beef-franks/beef-franks 

Thank you , and yes there is test that test 5ppm or less of gluten that is how I know what I can handle and to try it and see 

• 2 weeks later...
razzle5150 Enthusiast
On 5/2/2021 at 3:45 PM, Daphne do said:

Thank you 

Thank you , and yes there is test that test 5ppm or less of gluten that is how I know what I can handle and to try it and see 

none out there 

Daphne do Collaborator

What does that mean "none out there"?

4 hours ago, razzle5150 said:

none out there 

What does that mean? " None out there "

1 hour ago, Daphne do said:

I do know that there is a third party group that uses the Sandwich R5 ELISA and the Competitive R5 ELISA to test for gluten content. And sometimes things test to less than 5 ppm. But I am not aware of any official organization that officially certifies at 5 ppm. If you do find one, I would love to hear about it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Daphne do Collaborator
2 hours ago, GodsGal said:

I do know that there is a third party group that uses the Sandwich R5 ELISA and the Competitive R5 ELISA to test for gluten content. And sometimes things test to less than 5 ppm. But I am not aware of any official organization that officially certifies at 5 ppm. If you do find one, I would love to hear about it!

One criterion for certification through GFCO is that foods contain less than 10 ppm gluten. According to the company website (www.gfco.org), GFCO certifies 13,000 products. One criterion for certification through CSA is that foods contain less than 5 ppm gluten.

Most programs require foods to test at or below 20 ppm gluten, though the Celiac Support Association requires foods to test at or below 5 ppm.

There is organization that test for 5ppm or less the lowest they can go is 5 I thought this was a site for people and Drs with celiac how an I the only that know they can test for 5ppm of gluten it makes no sense that people would argue with me about it on this site 

Daphne do Collaborator

I'm sorry I don't mean to seem rude I just don't understand why that is the only thing people comment about that I am wrong they don't test that low I have googled and talk to a lot of companies and gluten free watch dog there is different certification for less then 20 less then 10 and less then 5 there is a different symbol for each they can not go any lower then 5 

2 hours ago, Daphne do said:

I'm sorry I don't mean to seem rude I just don't understand why that is the only thing people comment about that I am wrong they don't test that low I have googled and talk to a lot of companies and gluten free watch dog there is different certification for less then 20 less then 10 and less then 5 there is a different symbol for each they can not go any lower then 5 

6 hours ago, Daphne do said:

Hi Daphne,

I realize that my earlier comment may have come across as argumentative. That was not my intention. 😞 I am sorry.

I am just over a year in on this journey, so I am still learning alot! Sometimes it still feels overwhelming!🥴 

Thanks for teaching me about about the CSA. I realize that I have actually seen their logo a few times. I just didn't know their 5 ppm qualifications!

Did you find any hotdogs that work for you yet? I will try to keep a lookout! I'm currently looking for uncooked sausage myself. 

Thanks for being a part of the community and helping us learn together!

Hope your day goes well!

Daphne do Collaborator
53 minutes ago, GodsGal said:

Hi Daphne,

I realize that my earlier comment may have come across as argumentative. That was not my intention. 😞 I am sorry.

I am just over a year in on this journey, so I am still learning alot! Sometimes it still feels overwhelming!🥴 

Thanks for teaching me about about the CSA. I realize that I have actually seen their logo a few times. I just didn't know their 5 ppm qualifications!

Did you find any hotdogs that work for you yet? I will try to keep a lookout! I'm currently looking for uncooked sausage myself. 

Thanks for being a part of the community and helping us learn together!

Hope your day goes well!

Again I am sorry if I was rude I have not tried any hot dogs yet I'm to scared it's take me 3 years this is the first time I made it 3 months with out gluten it takes 3 months for gluten to get totally out of your system that is only if you don't accidentally get gluten like from cross contamination I personally have severe celiacs I can't have gluten in the house at all my boyfriend brought beer in when I was sleeping and spilled it and some how I touched it and got sick , so in 3 years this is the first time I almost feel normal I have food allergies too so it's very difficult I do know amylu sausage is safe there is brats and breakfast sausage and I just now realized I could use those instead of hot dogs well I'm really glad this conversation went on cause now I do have something to cook over the fire https://www.amylufoods.com/

I can totally relate! I'm not that sensitive to it, but I get scared too. And being able to participate in fun activities is absolutely vital. I guess we are both human, huh?😊

Speaking of campfires, have you found a good marshmallow? I have reacted to Kraft marshmallows. But the Campfire brand works well for me. I will have to check out those sausages as well!

I have to say that I am also glad this conversation continued. Keep me posted! 

Natalia Lopez Rookie

Hi, 

Haven't had problems with applegate turkey hot dogs, turkey ham, chicken hot dogs nor chicken apple sausages. I don’t tolerate beef or pork so can’t say about those but would imagine are fine. I mention this because I was eating Aidells chicken and apple sausages that are gluten free and was getting stomach aches but that’s because it has a pork casing, so perhaps Aidells may be another option for you too if you can eat pork. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:10 PM, Daphne do said:

Again I am sorry if I was rude I have not tried any hot dogs yet I'm to scared it's take me 3 years this is the first time I made it 3 months with out gluten it takes 3 months for gluten to get totally out of your system that is only if you don't accidentally get gluten like from cross contamination I personally have severe celiacs I can't have gluten in the house at all my boyfriend brought beer in when I was sleeping and spilled it and some how I touched it and got sick , so in 3 years this is the first time I almost feel normal I have food allergies too so it's very difficult I do know amylu sausage is safe there is brats and breakfast sausage and I just now realized I could use those instead of hot dogs well I'm really glad this conversation went on cause now I do have something to cook over the fire https://www.amylufoods.com/

Hi Daphne,

I just saw that the Dietz & Watson gluten free hotdogs are certified by the Celiac Sprue Association. If I understand correctly, they certify to 5 ppm.