This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good experience at The Olive Garden

Oldturdle

Oldturdle Collaborator

I was pleased that The Olive Garden has an acceptable gluten free menue.  I had the chicken parmesan, which came broiled instead of fried.  Rotini was the only gluten free pasta offered, but this came perfectly el dente, with a nice marana sauce on it.  We asked that the "endless salad bowel" be served without croutons, which was delicious.  Thank God, chilled crisp Chardonnay is always gluten free!  I did take a couple Gliadinx before eating, to handle any cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Good call on the enzymes beforehand. Shortly after Olive Garden launched their "gluten-free" menu I went there and had pasta, and ended up getting sick. This was long before I used AN-PEP enzymes, but when I called the manager they said that they cooked all the pasta in the same water, otherwise it would take an extra 10-15 minutes to get me the "gluten-free" pasta!! I did chew them out about it, and told them it wasn't gluten-free, and that isn't ok. 

• 3 years later...
Peace lily Apprentice

Omg really that’s just not right ,it goes to show you that they need to be more educated. I was told to stay away from Olive Garden for that reason.

Peace lily Apprentice

Okay I get it but you taking the gliadinx so how does one know that the food was actually gluten free? I’m asking because is I’m not all that familiar with it .

GardeningForHealth Enthusiast

If you get sick eating foods that a restaurant told you were gluten-free, you can file a complaint with the FDA.

I myself have gotten sick at every restaurant I ate at, except for 3. And out of those 3, 2 are local to me and one is a chain. And the chain, I only ate at a total of 3 times in my life, and all 3 times were at the same location, so maybe I just got lucky. Whether or not you get glutened is really dependent upon how a restaurant is managed at any given location.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Under the FDA's gluten-free labeling rule, a food labeled "gluten-free" must contain less than 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten. This applies to packaged foods and also extends to restaurants that make gluten-free claims on their menus. However, enforcement can be more challenging in restaurants due to the complexities of food preparation and the potential for cross-contamination.

If someone with celiac disease gets sick after eating a meal that was advertised as "gluten-free," they can indeed file a complaint with the FDA. The FDA investigates complaints related to food labeling, including gluten-free claims, and may take action if the restaurant is found to be in violation of the regulation.

However, it's important to note that the FDA's focus is on the accuracy of the gluten-free claim, not on cross-contamination that might occur in the kitchen, which could be more difficult to monitor and enforce. In cases of cross-contamination or other food safety concerns, the state or local health department may also be involved.

Peace lily Apprentice
On 6/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Scott Adams said:

Good call on the enzymes beforehand. Shortly after Olive Garden launched their "gluten-free" menu I went there and had pasta, and ended up getting sick. This was long before I used AN-PEP enzymes, but when I called the manager they said that they cooked all the pasta in the same water, otherwise it would take an extra 10-15 minutes to get me the "gluten-free" pasta!! I did chew them out about it, and told them it wasn't gluten-free, and that isn't ok. 

Hi scott 

is it really safe to take gliadinx I’m probably not saying it right but if you take it before you go to the restaurant which is fine but was it a gluten free food or did the pill counter act the gluten? I’m confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

It is definitely safe to take GliadinX, the real question you seem to have is, does it actually work? I can only say that it has worked for me and my family that have celiac disease and/or DH, and we've been taking them before we eat out now for years. Before we took them I would estimate that we had issues with probable cross-contamination ~25-33% of the time, but haven't had such issues after. This is still anecdotal evidence, but there are also many published studies which show that it does indeed break down small amounts of gluten, like what you might encounter with cross-contamination at a restaurant, in the stomach, before it reaches your intestines. They have linked to all the studies on AN-PEP here:

https://www.gliadinx.com/publications

so you can go through them and decide what you think.

Peace lily Apprentice

Thank you scott .I only asked because I’ve gone to a certain restaurant 

and have gotten sick after . Thanks again I will read those publications.

peace lily

Oldturdle Collaborator

An anecdotal update.  I am sure that Gliadenx only works for small amounts of cross contamination only.  I have taken one or two before eating "gluten free" foods at restaurants, and never had a problem.  Recently, I was at a pizza party at a restaurant, and thought "what the hell."  I didn't want to make a stink and insist that an expensive gluuten free crust be ordered just for me.  I took four Gliadinx capsules, and enjoyed three pieces of real pizza.  Later that day with much regret, I vomitted it all up.  Moral of the story, Gliadenx for cross contamination only!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes, there is no way that 4 capsules could handle breaking down that much gluten.

Peace lily Apprentice

Thank you I’ll read more.Its good to know that something is available to counteract the gluten from cross contamination. One of the places we tried the first time I was fine ,we went another time and I got sick. So I think definitely cross contamination.

thanks peace liy