This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms returning, can't figure out why

Kate1990

Kate1990 Apprentice

Hi!

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and all my symptoms went away when I stopped eating gluten. I am always careful, never eat out, etc. I've started getting more and more in the last month, and this week my DH came back very strongly. Does anyone have suggestions for where it could be coming from? I'm desperate to find a solution.

I'm taking generic bupropion XL. I'm waiting for a reply from the manufacturer, as I've read in other threads that there might be gluten in there.

The only new thing I've eaten recently was vanilla-flavored greek yogurt. However no ingredient on the list is supposed to have gluten. Could it be hidden in ''natural flavoring''?

Any other ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

Hello Viv, and welcome to the forum

It's really good you have contacted the manufacturer - I had awful symptoms when I started taking Floradix instead of Floravital iron supplements.  The packaging is very similar but only Floravital is gluten free.

If it isn't the buproprion, it could be something else sneaking into your food.  I live in the UK and I occasionally react to certain brands which don't declare gluten on the labeling.  Despite strict labeling laws, I think sometimes things slip through the net.   Product recalls aren't uncommon.

I suppose the only other question would be are you sure it is DH?  I have recently acquired a new diagnosis, adult onset eczema.  My rash is symmetrical too - but not DH.

Anyway, a few thoughts.

Hope you soon find out the cause.

Cristiana

Kate1990 Apprentice
8 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Hello Viv, and welcome to the forum

It's really good you have contacted the manufacturer - I had awful symptoms when I started taking Floradix instead of Floravital iron supplements.  The packaging is very similar but only Floravital is gluten free.

If it isn't the buproprion, it could be something else sneaking into your food.  I live in the UK and I occasionally react to certain brands which don't declare gluten on the labeling.  Despite strict labeling laws, I think sometimes things slip through the net.   Product recalls aren't uncommon.

I suppose the only other question would be are you sure it is DH?  I have recently acquired a new diagnosis, adult onset eczema.  My rash is symmetrical too - but not DH.

Anyway, a few thoughts.

Hope you soon find out the cause.

Cristiana

Hi Cristiana,

Thank you so much for replying. I know it is DH - confirmed by a biopsy. I'll keep going through every food I have at home to check the labels again...

knitty kitty Grand Master
8 hours ago, Viv1990 said:

this week my DH came back very strongly. Does anyone have suggestions for where it could be coming from? 

The only new thing I've eaten recently was vanilla-flavored greek yogurt. However no ingredient on the list is supposed to have gluten. Could it be hidden in ''natural flavoring''?

Any other ideas?

DH will flare up if you eat iodine.  Iodine is high in your Greek yogurt and other dairy products, eggs, shellfish, fish, seaweed, sea salt, and iodized salt.  

I experienced DH, too.  Avoiding iodine in the diet and medicines (like IV contrast dyes) will help immensely.  

I also take niacin (vitamin B3) and the amino acid tryptophan which helps clear my DH spots faster.  Vitamin A and omega three fats help the skin heal, too.  

Hope you feel better.  

Kate1990 Apprentice
12 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

DH will flare up if you eat iodine.  Iodine is high in your Greek yogurt and other dairy products, eggs, shellfish, fish, seaweed, sea salt, and iodized salt.  

I experienced DH, too.  Avoiding iodine in the diet and medicines (like IV contrast dyes) will help immensely.  

I also take niacin (vitamin B3) and the amino acid tryptophan which helps clear my DH spots faster.  Vitamin A and omega three fats help the skin heal, too.  

Hope you feel better.  

I heard previously that iodine worsens the DH flare up but that there has to be gluten present to begin with, is that true? That's why I'm really trying to find out what the underlying cause is

No, iodine by itself can trigger DH to flare.  Gluten does not have to be present.  It's the gluten antibodies your body has made, already in your system, that aggregate into the DH lesions.  These gluten antibodies continue to be produced and linger in your system for eighteen months to two years after an exposure to gluten.

DH is also pressure sensitive.  DH spots will form under elastic (like bras) or tight fitting clothes, and where we lean on our elbows.  I used to get DH blisters on the palms of my hands after pushing a grocery carriage through the store.  

Hope this helps!

Kate1990 Apprentice
1 hour ago, knitty kitty said:

No, iodine by itself can trigger DH to flare.  Gluten does not have to be present.  It's the gluten antibodies your body has made, already in your system, that aggregate into the DH lesions.  These gluten antibodies continue to be produced and linger in your system for eighteen months to two years after an exposure to gluten.

DH is also pressure sensitive.  DH spots will form under elastic (like bras) or tight fitting clothes, and where we lean on our elbows.  I used to get DH blisters on the palms of my hands after pushing a grocery carriage through the store.  

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kate1990 Apprentice

Update, just in case this can help someone in the future: I got a response from the manufacturer and there IS gluten is the generic version of Bupropion XL.

selectivefocus Enthusiast

Just chiming in to say this is 100% iodine triggered by the yogurt. Yogurt is so high in iodine. It also triggers my psoriasis! Not just the DH. My celiac daughter stayed in a DH flare for FOREVER because of iodine in dairy, specifically yogurt. I researched everything until I found out what was going on. 

Kate1990 Apprentice
7 hours ago, selectivefocus said:

Just chiming in to say this is 100% iodine triggered by the yogurt. Yogurt is so high in iodine. It also triggers my psoriasis! Not just the DH. My celiac daughter stayed in a DH flare for FOREVER because of iodine in dairy, specifically yogurt. I researched everything until I found out what was going on. 

Hi, thank you for telling me! In your experience, is there anything else I should avoid? I always knew that dairy would worsen my breakouts but never knew it had the same effect on DH 

2 hours ago, Viv1990 said:

Hi, thank you for telling me! In your experience, is there anything else I should avoid? I always knew that dairy would worsen my breakouts but never knew it had the same effect on DH 

I myself have to limit dairy except for butter and cream. Seafood, like shellfish, is also very high in iodine. And watch for supplements as well. My daughter's DH is knees/elbows and armpits. She does okay with organic whole milk and occasional cheese, she drinks that daily. Organic dairy has less iodine than conventional. None of us can eat yogurt though. 

If your DH is really bad, limit all dairy except butter and cream for now, and don't take any supplements with iodine, and NO OATS. Until your DH is in remission, and then you can see if you can tolerate organic milk and cheese.

Denise Bu Rookie

Viv, I and others have found it helps to get tested for food sensitivities.  This can trigger other symptoms of AI in addition to the gluten sensitivity issue. Self testing can be done through enterolab.com. I found I was sensitive to many non-gluten containing foods and after eliminating them began to improve.  I also followed principles I learned about a plant based AI diet from here: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-autoimmune-plant-based-cookbook-joyce-choe/1131435534.  An overview video is here: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=search&v=932308223891556&external_log_id=89baa744-d7b6-4e2e-b4bb-c1369a7647de&q=autoimmune%20recovery%20plan. I also signed up for help and coaching here: autoimmunerecoveryplan.com and group.

Distressed Contributor
On 7/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, Viv1990 said:

Hi!

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and all my symptoms went away when I stopped eating gluten. I am always careful, never eat out, etc. I've started getting more and more in the last month, and this week my DH came back very strongly. Does anyone have suggestions for where it could be coming from? I'm desperate to find a solution.

I'm taking generic bupropion XL. I'm waiting for a reply from the manufacturer, as I've read in other threads that there might be gluten in there.

Any other ideas?

Suggest deleting all lectin containing foods. And dairy products can contain toxin carrageenan.  Cassin and whey also lead to digestive issues for me.  Be careful of dairy products. 

Kate1990 Apprentice
38 minutes ago, Distressed said:

Suggest deleting all lectin containing foods. And dairy products can contain toxin carrageenan.  Cassin and whey also lead to digestive issues for me.  Be careful of dairy products. 

Omg! I just looked up the lectin part and I have peanuts every morning. I'm definitely going to try this!!

I've always had problems with dairy also - even lactose free. I was trying to add greek yogurt back because I'm worried about calcium deficiency, but maybe I'll start shopping for supplements...

33 minutes ago, Viv1990 said:

Omg! I just looked up the lectin part and I have peanuts every morning. I'm definitely going to try this!!

I've always had problems with dairy also - even lactose free. I was trying to add greek yogurt back because I'm worried about calcium deficiency, but maybe I'll start shopping for supplements...

Yeah I'll second the lectins. I can't tolerate them and I used to. I can have peanut butter only occasionally. 

OP, lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose, is made in the tips of the villi. When the villi are injured, lactase is not made. Celiac also increases issues with the pancreas and enzyme production. My enzymes were super low when my allergist tested, and my celiac 9 year old had the same issue. It's really just a game of trial and error. I do better on a totally grain, whey, soy, nut and legume free diet. I can't tolerate digestive enzymes because they are made from aspergillus niger, which is black mold, and I have a mold allergy. It's crazy how messed up celiacs whole digestive systems are. I also have major issues with fructose. So. Trial and error. 

Distressed Contributor
3 hours ago, Viv1990 said:

The worst lectin offenders: All legumes especially red kidney beans & tomatoes.  It's a long list, but I understand how enticing these "bad" foods are.  When I cook chicken stew, it is with whole cream (natural without any additives, gums, preservatives). I take a calcium supplement 2/2 my surgery.  Calcium, magnesium, iron can be blocked by agglutin. Agglutinins are proteins founds in grains, pseudograins, legumes, and vegetables of the nightshade family. People have got to eat something however, just don't overdo agglutin. Life is just one big struggle after another.  Hold on with all of your might.

@selectivefocus,

You said "Celiac also increases issues with the pancreas and enzyme production. My enzymes were super low when my allergist tested, and my celiac 9 year old had the same issue."

Thiamine is needed to make many of those enzymes.  Every cell in your body and brain needs thiamine. 

Thiamine is used in large amounts in the pancreas.  Diabetics don't produce enough insulin.  Thiamine is needed to make that insulin.  Between 76% and 96% (depending on which study you read) are deficient in thiamine.

Here's some interesting reading...

"Thiamine and selected thiamine antivitamins — biological activity and methods of synthesis"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6435462/#!po=8.63636

And...

"Effects of thiamine deficiency on thiamine-dependent enzymes in regions of the brain of pregnant rats and their offspring"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2385216/

(Yep, a mother's thiamine level affects her child.)

And...

"Pancreatic beta cells and islets take up thiamin by a regulated carrier-mediated process: studies using mice and human pancreatic preparations"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2711754/

@Viv1990,

You would do well to add more non dairy calcium foods to your diet.  Leafy greens, like kale, spinach, mustard greens, bok choy, collards, and turnip greens have loads of calcium that's easily absorbed.  Broccoli and okra are good sources of calcium, too.

Kate1990 Apprentice
9 hours ago, Distressed said:

The worst lectin offenders: All legumes especially red kidney beans & tomatoes.  It's a long list, but I understand how enticing these "bad" foods are.  When I cook chicken stew, it is with whole cream (natural without any additives, gums, preservatives). I take a calcium supplement 2/2 my surgery.  Calcium, magnesium, iron can be blocked by agglutin. Agglutinins are proteins founds in grains, pseudograins, legumes, and vegetables of the nightshade family. People have got to eat something however, just don't overdo agglutin. Life is just one big struggle after another.  Hold on with all of your might.

Thank you so much not only for the info but also for the encouragement! xoxo

Posterboy Mentor
On 7/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, Viv1990 said:

Hi!

Any other ideas?

Viv,

Here is some links that might help you....

A couple on DH and a couple on how Cow Milk Protein can cause Dermatitis issues.....

Recently it has been discovered that a Casein/Milk allergy can responsible for a "Gluten" like reaction in some otherwise "Gluten Free" Celiacs.....and it is  higher than you might think...

This article is about a child who also had a Cow Milk problem having trouble getting it diagnosed as a trigger for a Gluten like reaction in the body....

This one shows how late diagnosis of a Lactose allergy better described as a Casein or Cows Milk Protein Allergy can cause dermatitis issues....

Entitled "Influence of Atopic Dermatitis on Cow's Milk Allergy in Children"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31405131/

This study is in children.....but if these connections not going diagnosed properly as a kid.....can extend into adulthood.....being misdiagnosed as DH,..... IMO.

See this article about what else can cause Villus Atrophy.....and It includes Cows Milk Protein as a possible cause.....more properly a Casein Allergy...

Be sure to read the comments,,,,,,if you want to get deep into the "weeds" or details of why this is true?

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Good luck on your continued journey!

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”

Posterboy by the grace of God,

Jackie Garrett Collaborator
On 7/12/2021 at 7:06 PM, Viv1990 said:

Hi!

Any other ideas?

Hello 

Maybe you’ve become Dairy/Lactose intolerant, it’s happening to so many of us, I didn’t realise this was my case until of recently after all these years of many symptoms, I avoid Dairy, I am now well.

Jackie

Kate1990 Apprentice
16 hours ago, Posterboy said:

Viv,

Here is some links that might help you....

A couple on DH and a couple on how Cow Milk Protein can cause Dermatitis issues.....

Recently it has been discovered that a Casein/Milk allergy can responsible for a "Gluten" like reaction in some otherwise "Gluten Free" Celiacs.....and it is  higher than you might think...

This article is about a child who also had a Cow Milk problem having trouble getting it diagnosed as a trigger for a Gluten like reaction in the body....

This one shows how late diagnosis of a Lactose allergy better described as a Casein or Cows Milk Protein Allergy can cause dermatitis issues....

Entitled "Influence of Atopic Dermatitis on Cow's Milk Allergy in Children"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31405131/

This study is in children.....but if these connections not going diagnosed properly as a kid.....can extend into adulthood.....being misdiagnosed as DH,..... IMO.

See this article about what else can cause Villus Atrophy.....and It includes Cows Milk Protein as a possible cause.....more properly a Casein Allergy...

Be sure to read the comments,,,,,,if you want to get deep into the "weeds" or details of why this is true?

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Good luck on your continued journey!

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”

Posterboy by the grace of God,

THank you! bless you xoxo

• 5 months later...
JenniK Contributor
On 7/14/2021 at 1:16 AM, selectivefocus said:

Ugh! This is frustrating! i too am having DH flares after being very careful (so i thought.) i’. I’m getting discouraged  again because i am back to feeling like there is nothing I can eat. I have been really enjoying greek yogurt the past few months, but yes, my DH is threatening me and my scalp is crazy itchy and flakey.  Maybe the yogurt?

Then i read about avoiding lectins too (which is basically everything that’s left. I can’t even eat much fiber at once at all like salad or broccoli bc after years of GI damage and D, those go straight to major gas and D in my gut. 

I KNOW i have to stay off gluten, but am also off nuts, then if i give up yogurt…? It just feels discouraging today. 

Distressed Contributor
On 7/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, Kate1990 said:

Hi!

The only new thing I've eaten recently was vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt. However, no ingredient on the list is supposed to have gluten. Could it be hidden in ''natural flavoring''?

Any other ideas?

Gluten and Cross-Reactive Foods - Celiac.com - Yeast, coffee, dairy and egg are the top four gluten cross-reactors.  Preservatives and non-extra virgin oil contain toxins.